Saturday, July 18, 2015

3.8 Alex - What Should Have Been

Author's Note:  We're taking a ride through time in the next several chapters. The eldest daughter is obsessed with going back in time to prevent her father's wrongful death by her mother's hands. We'll investigate two alternate time lines in the lives of several key members of the Bennett family. With the help of the Time Keeper's son, Chase Mars we'll see what the time line should have been and what it is now and a glimpse of what the future might be if Jennifer doesn't change her ways. There may be a span of years between each scene as Chase simply doesn't have the time to show every detail to Jennifer and has chosen the events that had the most impact in his subjects lives.


The scene changed, blurred focused in on a rock band playing for a large crowd. Jennifer frowned "I thought I told you I didn't want to see anymore. It's not going to change my mind."

"I know what you said. I'm hoping that you'll change your mind anyway," Chase told her settling in to listen and enjoy the music.

"Why do you care so much?" she asked glaring at him.

"I think you should ask yourself why you care so little." Chase replied back a slight smirk upon his lips as her frown deepened.

"What makes you think I don't care?" she demanded.


Shrugging "your actions mostly. You barely reacted to your sister's demise. What else am I to assume?" Chase said intent on watching the rock back perform feeling as if he was part of the audience. "This was the way it was meant to be," he said ignoring her "your brother really was good."

Crossing her arms Jennifer continued to glare at the blue haired male. So caught up in her annoyance of him she missed his use of the past tense 'was'. The crowd and the music around them added to her annoyance "I want you to leave me alone," she shouted as the crowd erupted in applause.

Clapping and whistling with the crowd Chase simply ignored her. Sighing she turned away from him reconciling  herself to enduring this nonsense. This colossal waist of her valuable time. Time she could be devoting to figuring out what she needed to do to change to prevent her dad's death. She couldn't just roll over and admit defeat. She didn't do it when Emit told her it was impossible. She didn't let Robbie's defection stop her. She wouldn't let this blue haired mans' scare tactics do it either. She knew there would be consequences to her actions. She accepted that. It doesn't mean she wanted to see what those consequences were or how it impacted the people around her. She was only interested in getting the results she wanted.

***


Performing the last song the group exited the stage. "That was awesome guys," Alex shouted for everyone to hear.

"It was a packed house," Ron smiled winking at Ali who threaded  her arms around Alex. Shrugging he turned his attention to Lexi "how about you and me getting together and celebrating?"

Shoving him away from her "sorry dude it's just going to be you and your hand tonight."

"Oh baby what did I do to you to deserve that?" Ron asked grabbing her butt cheek.

Twisting his hand Lexi smirked "keep it up and you won't even have a hand." She added a little pressure before letting his hand go and walking away.


"Dude give it up," Zac laughed at him "she's never going to join you between the sheets or otherwise."

"The chase is part of the fun," eyeing his band mate "how about you? I'll show you a real good time."

"Err no" Zac looked around the dressing room "sorry dude I don't swing that way. Besides I'm not that desperate that I'd risk whatever disease you have." Laughing Zac walked off shaking his head.

"I'll have you know I'm disease free. I've been tested." Ron shouted after him heedless of anyone listening. Looking around the mostly deserted room Ron stuck his hands in his pockets mumbling to himself "if I'm such an up and coming rock star where's all my fans? The groupies? Someone I could invite back to my hotel room for a little midnight entertainment. A little no strings attached fun."

Entering their hotel room Alex and Ali  turned to each other ripping each other's clothes off.  A little later lying in each other's arms Alex murmured in her ear "Ali I love you."


Pretending to be asleep Ali didn't respond. She felt Alex move beside her, cradling her in his arms. Why couldn't she tell  him she loved him too? She did, didn't she? She wasn't sure anymore. At first it was the excitement  of performing in front of large sold out crowds, then being recognized every where she went. Somewhere along the way she felt she lost herself. "Alex?" she asked into the darkened room feeling his even breathing on the nape of her neck "are you asleep?"

"Mmm," he said nuzzling his nose into the back of neck.

Sitting up she turned on the light "Alex," she insisted.

"What?" he squinted up at her "can't we talk in the morning. I'm tired."

"I need to ask you something," she said with a sense of urgency.


Sighing he sat up rubbing his eyes yawning "ok" he grumbled.

"Why do you love me?" she asked looking intently into his eyes.

Shrugging he smiled "what's all this about?"

"Please Alex I've got to know," she insisted "is it because we're good in bed? Because we've been together since high school?"

Reaching for her hand he lifted the palm to his lips. "I love you because your a wonderfully complex person who wakes me up in the middle of the night to ask me why I love her."


"You don't find me boring?" she asked "compared to Lexi I'm boring..."

"I'm not in love with Lexi," Alex smiled "you don't have to have purple hair or tattoos to make you interesting. I like the way your mind works. It's quirky...just like you. Besides I'm just an average Joe myself. Do you find me boring?"

Snuggling into him she shook her head smiling as his arms slipped around her "your far from boring Alexander."

Groaning "how many times have I asked you not to call me that?"

"A lot," she giggled "but I like it." She stuck her lip out pretending to pout.


Kissing her lips he chuckled "you win. You can call me Alexander whenever it's just the two of us. Never around anyone else. Deal?"

"Deal" she smiled smugly at him "Alexander?"

"Mmm," he replied almost asleep again.

"I love you," she said giggling as he rolled her over on the bed.

He looked down into her eyes "I love you too," he said before bringing his lips to her soft skin along her neck.

***


"Why are we watching my brother make love to his girlfriend?" Jennifer complained facing Chase "are you some kind of voyeur or pervert?"

"Neither," he scowled at her "you don't see anything odd in this time line compared to the one you created for him?"

Shrugging "that's his girlfriend. He's been with her since high school. I'm sure they've been having sex for years now."

"You haven't kept in touch with Alex have you?" Chase muttered.

"What makes you say that?" Jennifer demanded " the last time we spoke Alex told me I was crazy and needed my head examined."


"You do, don't you?" Chase asked without a trace of humor in his voice. Her belligerent uncaring attitude was wearing thin. He wanted to jolt her out of her complacency.

Scowling she retorted " I don't need psycho analyzing. Alex deserves whatever comes his way."

"We'll see if you still feel that way once you see the scope your changes had upon his life," Chase said grabbing her by the shoulders and forcing her to watch the unfolding scene before them.

***


Walking straight up to Alex, Lexi demanded "do something about that louse of a drummer. I'm tired of him putting his grubby little hands all over me."

Looking around at the others Alex asked "he's not that bad is he?"

They all nodded "listen Alex," Zac began "he leaves you alone but the rest of us he feels free to manhandle...."

"Whoa you too Zac?" Alex asked astounded.

"Yeah me too," he mumbled "Ron doesn't care as long as gets some. He's a good drummer don't get me wrong but we don't need him. He's going to give us a bad name; especially if he gets caught with an underage fan."


"Tell me he hasn't..."

"Not that I'm aware of but it's only a matter of time," Zac told him.

Glancing around at the assembled band members Alex asked "is this unanimous?" They all nodded even Ali. Sighing "alright I'll talk to Ron." Running his fingers through his hair "can you and Lexi put it out there that we're looking for a new drummer?"

Nodding Zac replied "we have a few ideas who might work for us as a group." As Alex walked towards the door Zac caught his arm "do you want me to go with you when you talk to Ron?"

"For what moral support?" Shaking his head Alex declined his offer. Closing the door behind him Alex knew this day was coming. Ron and him had been best friends since their freshmen year in high school. Had started the band together. This was going to be the hardest thing ever telling Ron he was out. Knocking on the Ron's hotel room door Alex waited a moment before knocking again. "Come on Ron I know you're in there. Open up."


A moment later the door opened a crack and Ron stuck his face out "oh hey Alex. Can you come back a little later?" A giggle sounded from the within the room "I'm kind of busy..."

"Tell whoever that is to come back later," Alex told him firmly "we need to talk."

"I've got a better idea," Ron said grabbing Alex and pulling him inside. Shoving him backwards Alex landed heavily on the bed "Trixie girl feel up to a threesome?"

Running her hands up inside Alex's shirt she said "with this cutie I'd do anything."

Struggling to sit up and extricate Trixie's hands from him Alex felt his heart beating fast. "Get your hands off me. I didn't come here...." His voice was cut off by the forceful kiss that Ron gave him pushing him flat on the bed. 


"You know I've been dying to do that for years," Ron told him as he lay on top of him.

"What the hell?" Alex spluttered angrier than he had ever been before and the thought came to mind if this was why Zac offered to come with him. Not so much for moral support but to keep Ron for jumping him. "Get off me," he growled.

"I'm just having a little fun," Ron pouted staying put.

"What's the matter with you?" Alex yelled at him struggling beneath him. "Is this how you've been treating the others?"

"More or less," Ron smirked "but none of them have been in this position before."


Pushing against Ron's chest Alex managed to shove him off him "what's wrong with you?" He stood up staring angrily at Ron, his one time best friend and saw a stranger. Turning to the girl on the bed "I think it's time you left."

"Yeah I was thinking that too," the girl got up, grabbed her clothes and left.

Sitting up Ron complained "you could have just said no."

"You weren't exactly listening," Alex threw a blanket at him "cover yourself up." Straightening his clothes Alex ran his hands through his hair feeling how shaky he was "what are you on?"

"Nothing" Ron mumbled looking away from him.


"The guy I knew would never have tried to jump me. So either you've changed or your high." Alex pulled out the drawers searching for Ron's stash. Holding out the plastic bag of assorted pills and drug paraphernalia he asked "how long Ron?"

"I don't know," Ron shouted back "I didn't know how hard all this was going to be. Being on the road for months at a time. All the attention...." Covering his head in his hands "I'm not like you. I can't handle all the pressure. I...I just want to go home."

"Yeah I think you better," Alex agreed "if you were finding things so difficult why didn't you ask me for help?"

"The band was my idea," Ron said wiping at his eyes "I dragged you into this. I didn't want to abandon you."

"I'd have understood," Alex told him "we've been friends for a long time. I hardly know you now. You've got to get yourself straightened out before you kill yourself. The band will stand behind you..."


"Don't make me laugh," Ron growled "I knew you were coming to tell me I was out. That's part of the reason why..."

"Why you jumped me?" Alex asked grimacing as he watched the emotions flit across his friends face.

"I wouldn't have gone that far," Ron mumbled turning red.

"Could have fooled me," Alex asserted "felt like you were going for the full Monty." Pacing around the room he continued "I'll call your parents ask them for help. They've been concerned about you."

"Alex please not my parents," Ron pleaded "I don't think I can handle seeing my dad's I told you so face and the disappointment in my mom's eyes. They were dead set against me doing this to begin 
with."


"Ron they love you," Alex entreated him "all they want is for you to be happy and this life isn't doing it for you is it?"

"No you're right," he sighed "I thought lots of sex would fill the void but it didn't. Then the drugs helped for a bit. I was happier before we became famous and went on tour." Standing up gripping the blanket "what about you? It's not much of a rock back without a drummer..."

"Do you think Lexi and Zac would have sent me in here without having a drummer lined up?" Alex asked.

"No you're right," looking down at himself "I've really made a mess of things haven't I?"

"Yes you have but you can apologize later." Alex told him "I'll arrange your flight home and have your parents there to meet you."


"Alex what am I going to do without you?" Ron asked looking at him like a lost little boy.

"Hey you haven't lost me. I'm still your friend. Why else would I let you grope me then try to help you?" Shaking his head "I don't get it. I'm the one that should be messed up not you. After all I'm the one without parents."

"You've always been strong enough to handle it Alex. I don't know how you do it." Ron told him awe evident in his tone. "Plus you have Ali by your side. How could you not succeed with her?"

Smiling "you're absolutely right Ron. Ali's one of a kind. You've got to get well so you can be my best man."

"You're going to get married?" Ron asked turning a deep red remembering what he had tried to do minutes before.


"I haven't asked her yet," Alex beamed "I have the ring. I'm planning to ask her when the time's right."

"Just ask her dude," Ron told him "she's not going to care how or when you ask her."

***

"This is so boring," Jennifer grumbled as she got to her feet. "I have better things to do then watch my brother's boring life."

Glancing at her Chase gave her an annoyed look "do you think so little of your brother that you don't care about the the things you've done to him?"

"None of this matters," she waved her hands at the frozen scene around them. "If as you say this has all changed why should I care about it?"

"You should care because this is what should have happened and because of you it didn't." Chase threw his hands up in the air walking off.


"It's stupid if you ask me" Jennifer retorted moving to leave.

"Sit you but back down,' a deep angry voice commanded her.

Turning to face her dad Jennifer swallowed hard "what if I dont' want to?"

"Do as I say young lady," Robert demanded "watch the life your brother should have had and then compare it with the one you left him with. I refuse to believe you're this heartless..."

Marching over to the vacated chair she sat down crossing her arms "alright let's get this over with."

***

The scene blurred and resumed.


"Alex, honey I have something to tell you," Ali began hesitantly unsure what to say.

"What's the matter Ali?" Alex asked holding her hand "you can tell me anything," he assured her.

Biting her lip "you now how I've been feeling dizzy and sick a lot lately?"

"Yeah did you you see the doctor?" Alex asked. She nodded prompting him to asked "is something wrong? Is it serious?"

"It depends upon how you look at it," Ali said with a smile "I'm pregnant."

The happy scene froze as Jennifer blurted "he doesn't have any kids..."

"No he doesn't, does he?" Chase said enjoying this moment "wonder whose fault that is?"

She opened her mouth closing it as an afterthought when she caught the angry glare from her father. "I'm sorry" she mumbled.


"Would you be terribly upset if I didn't want to continue to be part of the group?" Ali asked.

"I'd be disappointed not upset," Alex told her "I've gotten used to seeing your smiling face everyday."

"It's just that with the baby I want to be home with them," she sighed happily.

"You don't have to convince me sweetheart. You can stay home with the baby if that's what you want." Alex kissed her "I like that better then the alternatives..."

"What alternatives?" she asked.


"You know leaving them with nannies or taking them with us on tours. Neither option is that great. Kids need a stable home." He put his hand on her stomach "I can't wait to meet him."

"You'll be a wonderful father," she told him.

"I hope so," he smiled at her "do you think I should continue the tour?"

"Yes you should," she laughed at him "I'm not due for several months. This is your dream. I just came along for the ride. My dream has always been to have a family of happy and healthy children."

"Have I told you how much I love you?" Alex asked her.


"Yes you have but you can tell me again and again and again." She giggled as Alex pulled her into a passionate kiss "I'm going to miss you," she sighed.

"I'll be home before the baby's born," Alex assured her "that's something I don't want to miss."

"You and the whole world will be waiting to see him." Ali said nervously.

"We don't have to have reporters or photographers in the room with us." Alex told her "In fact I'm strongly opposed to it."

"Good because I don't want them in there either," Leaning into his embrace "now I'll be free to scream and hurtle abuse at you without it being repeated in the news."


"You wouldn't do that to me, would you?" Alex asked feigning shock "not your lovable, sweet, endearing, faithful husband."

***


Freezing the scene of the happy couple. Chase looked towards Jennifer hoping for some sense of regret or remorse. Instead she sat stonily staring straight ahead of her.  "Are we done now?" she asked catching him watching her.

Shaking his head Chase was at a loss as to what to do next. He had anticipated resistance but not this willful disregard. Maybe he was wrong and he couldn't change her mind. Maybe he shouldn't have sympathized with her and kept Emit from detaining her. He had been so sure he could reach her. Turning when he felt a hand on his shoulder he turned to find Robert gazing at him. "Keep trying," he requested "whether she shows it or not you are reaching her. I know my daughter. She's stubborn and change doesn't come easy."

"I'm sorry I'm having a hard time believing that," Chase mumbled disheartened by his attempts thus far and he was ready to throw in the towel. Staring at the silent figures of Alexi and Ali playing with a couple of beautiful toddlers brought tears to Chase's eyes. What he was forcing Jennifer to view made him wonder at the changes he had made to the timeline, all the lives he irrevocably changed for better or worse.  He wondered about the children that had never been born because of him and should have. It'll be something he'd regret for the rest of his life....at least he hadn't been forced to see who they were. He could only imagine the emotional impact it was having upon Jennifer and hope it was enough to jolt her from her course.  Turning to Robert as a thought struck him "Robert I'm sorry this must be terrible for you...."

"It is," he admitted "I've watched how my death affected my children in different ways knowing there was little I could do to help. I never imagined any of them becoming obsessed with changing the past at the cost of the others...." Turning towards his daughter Robert shook his head "do what you need to do to protect my children. They've suffered enough." He squeezed Chase's shoulder before disappearing.

Walking towards the young woman Chase asked "have you had enough? Are you ready to stop?"


Shaking her head she smiled up at him "you'd like that wouldn't you? No I'm not going to admit defeat. I told you nothing you'd show me would change my mind."

"You do realize if you persist in your attempts that the Time Keeper will be forced to get involved?"

"Isn't that why you're here?" she asked.

"In a way" Chase said grudgingly "I have a small window of time to convince you to stop before he steps in. He's giving you this chance because of his friendship and regard for your grandfather William. He's being as lenient and tolerant as he can but time is running out and the future is out of balance."

Shrugging "why doesn't he just go back and fix what I've done?" she asked.


"He would if he could but you keep going back to the same point in time. That spot in time has become unstable and the only way to fix it is to get rid of the destabilizer."

"Me?"

"You," Chase agreed.

Sighing Jennifer pointed towards the frozen scene around them "looks like I have more pointless home movies to watch," she rolled her eyes sitting back refusing to acknowledge any of this was having any effect on her.


Author's note: Lexi Ayala was made for me by legendofSim. Thank you for letting me have her in my story. We'll be seeing more of her in the next segment of Alex's story. When we really see the effects of Jennifer's change upon his life.





4 comments:

  1. You're welcome for Lexi. I'm excited to see more of her ^_^ Wow, Jennifer is that stone hearted? Even Chase felt some remorse! I hope she can snap out of this before it's too late. This is really sad that she doesn't seem to care what happens to her siblings :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lexi will play a bigger part in the time line that was created by Jen's changes than the original time line would have offered her. It's not going to be easy to change her mind. She accepted that there would be consequences to her actions. She believes that having her dad in their lives would be better and all the things she's done would go away because she's only being shown what life is like without him. Unfortunately there is no timeline with him in it because Emit was right she can't prevent her dad's death because without that event she would never have gone back in time :( Chase is trying to make amends for the things he's done. Plus he was lied to by the watchers and manipulated into doing things he might not have done otherwise. Unfortunately you'll learn that Jennifer has done things on purpose to change things she didn't want to happen. You'll learn more about that when we get to Robbie's story ;(
      Thank you for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  2. Wow, Alex was supposed to have a happy life with Ali, and he even got through to Ron. I felt bad for Ron, but he really should have just talked to Alex. I am a little surprised Robert left already, he had a good way of just making Jennifer stay put, LOL, I guess your father's scoldings always remain as effective, even as an adult. XD Even though... I really feel Jennifer is acting like a child in a woman's body right now. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex and Ali were high school sweethearts and Ron was his best friend since high school. The three of them started the band together. Ron wasn't handling the stresses of being on the road and fame. So instead of talking to Alex he tried to hide it.
      Robert may show up again but he's having a hard time coping with what Jennifer has become. It's coming down to does he give up on saving her to save the others? Jennifer is obsessed with proving she's right and can change the future. She's unwilling to listen to anyone. You're right she is acting a like a child.
      Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete