Sunday, July 12, 2015

3.7 What Will It Take?


Amanda left shortly after the time shift. Drew sat quietly beside Caleb pondering all the things she was told. Tears stung her eyes thinking about her mom. How could Jennifer be so callous in her single minded obsession to change the past?  At least, Drew thought, she wasn't hurting anyone when she hunted ghosts. Was she any different or any less obsessed if she continued to hunt despite her dad's wishes? Taking Caleb's hand she smiled. She could let go of the past if she had this man by her side. He had let go of his past more than once. Confronted his past. Not that he still loved Star; although Drew knew he would always love her in some way and she would never ask him to do otherwise. Star would always have a special place in his heart. She hoped that what Star had become through no fault of her own wouldn't mar his memory of her, neither of them deserved that.

Feeling lost and alone Drew fell asleep in the chair beside Caleb's bed. She longed to hear his voice that never failed to send shivers up her spine. Opening her eyes yawning she heard the door open. Sitting up she stared at the blued haired man that entered "can I help you?" she asked.

The man stared at Caleb for a moment before turning his gaze towards Drew "hi I'm Chase Mars," he introduced himself.

"I'm Drew Bennett," she replied feeling awkward performing introductions over Caleb's hospital bed.
"Can I help you?" she repeated.

"You can if you can tell me where I can find your father," Chase said with a tight lipped smile.


Frowning Drew stammered "my father died over ten years ago."

"Yes I know, " Chase said unfazed "his spirit has been in contact with my father. Please Drew it's very important I speak with him."

"Who is your father?" Drew asked suspicious.

"My father is Emit Relevart the time keeper," Chase answered her "I'm hoping to offer my assistance in stopping your sister from making anymore changes to the time line."

"Do you know my sister?" Drew asked deciding to trust this strange blue haired man.


"No I'm sorry," Chase shook his head "I understand her drive though. I was once just like her. My mother was murdered and I wanted to change that. Prevent it from ever happening. It became my obsession and in my quest I made a lot of mistakes and hurt a lot of people. She's not thinking straight. I want to help her. Please let me help before my father has to get involved. If he gets involved there's no hope of redeeming her. I've been granted a little time to try and stop her. It'll speed things along if you'd help me find your father."

"Suppose I believe you," Drew said "why do you need my dad? What can a ghost do that you can't?"

Smiling at the young woman Chase replied "he has a father's love for a daughter. It's that love she's crying out for. Clinging to. If anyone can reach her it's him."

Nodding Drew knew he was right. Jennifer was doing all of this for their dad. She knew it was time. Time to put aside her quest and live her life. She hoped that Jennifer would see it too. "I don't know where he is. He has always come to me. You should go to see my sister Amanda. She communicates with spirits all the time. She'll know if anyone does where he can be found." She wrote Amanda's address and phone number down for him.

"Thank you," he smiled at her as he walked from the room.

***


Following the directions he received from the helpful overly friendly nurse he arrived at Amanda's house. Knocking on the door he waited for a response. Several minutes later he knocked again wondering if should have called first. Fumbling for his phone the door creaked open and someone stared through the crack at him "Can I help you?" a young female voice asked.

"I'm looking for Amanda Bennett," he told her putting on his best smile.

"She isn't seeing anyone this evening," the voice said closing the door.

"Please wait," he pleaded inserting his foot in the door preventing her from closing the door. "Tell her I need her help."

Rubbing her temples the girl stepped aside opening the door for the man to come in. "What do you need?" she demanded.


"Are you Amanda Bennett?" he asked frowning as the girl swayed on her feet.

"I am," she affirmed "please I'm really not feeling well...."

"Can I help you?" he stepped close to her massaging her shoulders. He could feel the tension in her body.

"Mmm that feels good," she almost purred "who did you say you were?"

"I'm Chase Mars," he said kneading her shoulders.


"I was told to expect you," she said relaxing in his hands. "You're looking for my father."

"Yes do you know where I can find him?" he asked.

"She does," Robert stated as he appeared in her living room. "Did Emit send you?" he asked a belligerent attitude turning his voice rough and angry.

"You could say that," Chase replied "I volunteered."

Frowning Robert asked "volunteered to wipe my daughter out of existence.....why?"


Shaking his head Chase told them what he told Drew "so you see I want to help her if I can. I understand why she's doing what she is. I think I can reach her. Please let me try."

Robert turned to Amanda seeing her relaxed for once was a good thing "alright we'll do this together."

"Good," Chase moved towards the door "we should leave now before we lose our fix on her location."

***


Following Robert found himself admiring this blue haired man who seemed willing to put everything on the line to help his daughter. He could only imagine what damage he caused when he had been obsessed with his own mother's death. Jennifer needed someone who could understand that underlying cause to her obsession. Robert hoped it wasn't too late to stop her.

He watched Chase step up to a strange device "what's that? he asked.

"It's a portal that transports supernaturals from town to town. Most people don't know they exist," Chase explained activating it.

Robert eyed him with suspicion "do I want to now how you know that?" he asked.

"Probably not," Chase smiled at him "let's just say I've spent too much time with the Van Winkles and strange things seems to happen to them."


"They're not the only ones," Robert muttered "do we have to use that contraption?"

"No but it'll shorten our travelling time," Chase laughed at him "whats wrong? You're a ghost. What harm could it possibly do you?"

Grinning Robert shrugged "sometimes I forget I'm  already dead." He stepped into the portal beside 
Chase vanishing in an instant. "Where are we?" Robert asked looking around with obvious disgust.

"This is the outskirts of Bridgeport," Chase shrugged "it's not much to look at but Jennifer probably doesn't even notice too busy with hopping from the present to the past."

"I guess not," looking at the small shack a short distance away "is that where she lives?"


"Looks like it," Chase confirmed.

Without waiting for Chase to knock Robert drifted through the wall startling is daughter. "Daddy" she shrieked in surprise and suspicion "What are you doing here?" she asked.

"I've come to ask you to stop this," Robert drifted towards her "I've looked everywhere for you but you never stop long enough for me to reach you."

"Daddy I'm so close to preventing your death. I can't stop now." Jennifer protested "don't you want to live again?"

Shaking his head Robert said "I had my time however short it was. I'm sorry I couldn't have been with you longer but you're hurting people. Innocent people." He moved towards the door to let Chase in.


Jennifer's eyes narrowed in distrust as Chase entered "I suppose you're here to stop me."

"Yes I am," Chase told her "you can't continue to make changes willy nilly  without attracting attention to yourself," he told her. "The time keeper is preparing to take action to preserve what's left of the time line and to prevent you from causing anymore harm."

"What harm am I doing?" she asked "no one knows or remembers what was before the changes happen. What harm his there if a baby isn't born right on schedule. Time reshapes itself and moves on."

"What harm?" Robert nearly choked on the words as he shouted at her "did you know that people die every time you change something? People die and leave children behind just like you were when I died. They're hurting just like you were and you ask what's the harm? Did you know your sister Amanda knows every change you make. Every death that happened that shouldn't have? Every birth that doesn't happen? They all come to her crying for help because it shouldn't have happened. It's causing your sister pain."

"I....I didn't know" she blinked back tears "daddy please I know  you're upset but I've almost figured it out. One more adjustment and you'll be back...."


"No," he shouted at her "what you're doing is causing too much harm. Too much pain." Reigning in his anger, his pain he shook his head at her "do you know what you did the last time you changed something?" he asked with despair his voice. Jennifer looked at him shaking her head "well I'll tell you," his voice rising "Grace ceased to exist. To the whole damn world she died the same night Patricia killed me. You made all your siblings orphans. You took the last remaining person who loved and cared for them away from them. Can you still stand there and look me in the eye and ask where's the harm?"

She hung her head looking at her feet before looking up again "I'll go back. Make sure that doesn't happen."

"At what cost?" Robert shouted at  her "can't you see that each time you change something it causes something else to happen her to compensate?"

"Daddy please I only want you be here with me. I didn't know I was causing so much harm. I'm so close. I know I am. Please just a little more time. Then I'll stop. I promise," she pleaded.

Shaking his head "I'm sorry Jennifer the cost is too high. You have to stop. You have to let me go. What if the next thing that happens effects the lives of your brothers and sisters?" He reached out and stroked her hair "I'm sorry baby girl but their lives are more important than mine. I would never forgive myself if you hurt them worse than you already have because of me. I love you Jennifer but I can't let you continue to do this."


"What have I done?" she demanded looking up defiantly at her father "you can't just come in here telling me to give up what I've worked so hard to do without showing me proof. Show me proof that I'm causing all this pain and suffering ..... then I'll stop."

Robert looked towards Chase who shrugged "if you want proof then proof is what you'll get," he told her "be warned it's not going to pretty and everything you're about to see is most definitely your fault. I'll show you what the time line should have been before you started making changes. Then I'll show you what it is now."

Crossing her arms she nodded. Tilting her chin she appeared to be indifferent as she said "we'll see." 
Only her eyes showed any hint of doubt in herself.

"Have it your way," Chase sighed making adjustments to a device as he spoke. Time shifted around them as they arrived in the untainted time line. It was dark and their eyes were drawn to a young couple having a picnic. As they watched a ghost spilled ice over them as they were about to kiss.

***


Jumping to his feet Caleb came face to face with his lost love. "Star," he said."

Crossing her arms she stared at him before breaking into a grin "Caleb," she said his name sending shivers up his spine. He felt Drew take his hand as she stood beside him. He had forgotten the sound of her voice. The way it made him feel when she said his name. It was music to his ears, his soul. How could he explain that he still loved her and loved Drew at the same time? "Star I....I'm" he stuttered unsure of himself. Her laughter brought an involuntary smile to his lips. 

"Oh Caleb your still the same. Just the way I remember. The man I fell in love with." Smiling she reached out and touched his cheek "the beard is different but it looks good on you" she commented. Her hand dropped to her side, frowning she said "I miss the hair though...." Turning towards Drew she took the girls hands in her "don't be afraid I'm not upset with you."

"You're not," Drew smiled at her "I knew you wouldn't be. You're just like how Caleb described you."

"He probably exaggerated," she laughed turning to Caleb "you never change. You're still the sweet adorable caring man I fell in love with. Still taking your girl on romantic picnics...."


"I didn't expect to have our first kiss interrupted by a ghost dumping ice on me...." Caleb complained.

"I couldn't help myself," Star shrugged "it was an opportunity I couldn't pass up. Besides I remember when I had been the only girl for you. Forgive me if I gave into a bit of jealousy."

Grinning "you were jealous?" Caleb asked pleased despite himself.

Holding her fingers about an inch apart she said "just about this much." Seeing him frown she continued "give a girl a break. Did you want me to haunt you for the rest of your life? Please I may be a ghost but I do have better things to do." Turning serious she asked "what took you so long?"

Confused Caleb asked "so long for what? I don't understand?"


"To move on. To fall in love again," Star told him "I've been waiting unable to cross over."

"I'm sorry," he hung his head "I loved you so much..."

Stroking his cheek "I know but you've grieved long enough. It's time you let me go. I loved you too." 
She smiled at Drew "you must be pretty special to capture the heart of Caleb Gray."

"I...I" shaking her head "I'm not special just someone who understood his grief."

"No," she contradicted "you did more than that. Together you've healed each other's hearts. I can move on knowing that Caleb has found love again. His happiness has always meant more to me than life itself."


A bright light appeared. Star smiled happily at the couple. Hugging the girl Star told her "I'm entrusting you with the key to his heart. Treat him well."

Wiping tears from her eyes Drew nodded "Star you don't have to go. Scientists are so close to being able to resurrect the dead....maybe...."

Squeezing her again Star shook her head "I had my time. I only stuck around to make sure Caleb found someone who love him. I'm ready to go."

Turning to Caleb who was softly crying "my darling Caleb you don't know happy I am that you found Drew. Love her with all your heart. Be happy."

"Star I'm sorry..." he sniffled.


"For what?" she frowned.

"That you never got to be happy. To be loved the way you were meant to be." Unable to go on he just looked at Star with tears in his eyes "I'm sorry...."

"I'm not," she gently kissed him "I was happy. I was loved. No matter how brief it was worth it. It's time you lived your life and it's time I moved on." She walked towards the light stopping she turned back. She smiled seeing Drew holding Caleb as he cried on her shoulder. "Until we meet again. Always remember we get what we want even if isn't always the way we expect it."

***


Things shifted as the images blurred and realigned themselves. They watched the picnic scene again this time Star was the the angry spirit eaten up with jealousy, hurt and spite. "See what you did," Chase whispered in Jennifer's ear "Star was supposed to cross over here. Thanks to you she couldn't."

"She hasn't done anything dreadful. What's a little ice?" she crossed her arms refusing to accept blame.

The next scene showed Star coaxing Caleb's spirit to come to her before Drew arrived "does that look like nothing?" Chase asked.

Lips trembling she shook her hair from  her face refusing to look at him. The tearful scene in the waiting room when Drew cried alone waiting for the doctors to come and talk to her. Robert spoke his voice angry "Grace should have been there to comfort her. She would have been except you wiped her out of existence. Look at your sister. Look at her pain. You did that."

"I don't want to see anymore," she mumbled.


"Are you ready to give up on your crusade?" Robert asked.

"No," she shouted back at him.

Unable to contain his rage Robert let loose causing several items around the room to go flying and crashing into things before vanishing from the room. "If your not careful you'll be turning your father into an angry vengeful ghost just like you did Star." Chase spoke in her ear "let's see if you like this scene any better."

It was the moment of truth, the moment they found out whether the retina reattachment worked. Drew reached for Caleb's hand squeezing it hard.

Caleb felt the pressure on his hand. He could feel her hope, the tension, the fear in that steady uncomfortable pressure on his hand. He dreaded this moment. Would he be able to see? Would he be blind? Could he look at her and tell her goodbye? Could he willingly put her in danger knowing Star was out there angry, hurting, obsessed?


The doctor removed the bandages. He sat there his eyes clinched tight until the doctor told him to open them. Squinting his eyes watered from the harsh bright hospital lights. Blinking again the blurred shaped and colors slowly formed recognizable shapes and voice became people. He smiled as his eyes sought out Drew. "Hello beautiful."

"You can see," she cried as tears burst like a shower from her eyes "he can see," she said to the doctor and nurses in the room who all smiled at her. "Oh Caleb I'm so glad." She put her head on his chest and sobbed.

He petted her hair feeling his heart breaking in two knowing what he had to do. It was for her protection. He loved her too much to put her in danger. When the doctor and nurses left he pulled her off him "Drew you need to go" he said his voice firm and gruff.

"What? Why?" she looked at him in disbelief. This couldn't be happening not now not ever. "I don't understand."


"Please Drew don't make this harder than it has to be," Caleb pleaded "I love you but I can't put you in danger."

"You're not," she protested "you're the one she's hurt not me. We're stronger together. Please don't do this."

"It won't work," Caleb gripped her shoulders "I'm sorry but this is how it has to be. Maybe in time she'll cross over and we can be together." Looking away he sighed "you can keep the house. I'll find some place else to live."

Pulling herself together Drew walked towards the door hoping Caleb would call her back. As she reached for the door handle she looked back but he was looking away from her. Biting her lip to keep from crying out she left. Leaning on the wall she slid to the floor crying deep wracking sobs that left her gulping for air.

***


Blinking Jennifer refused to cry. At least not in front of this blued haired stranger. She lifted her face haughtily at him "they're over reacting. They'll get back together." Shrugging she continued "if not Drew will get over it."

"No she won't," Chase said leaning over her "do you want to know why?"

"No no I don't but you're not giving me a choice are you?" she shouted at him.

Rubbing his chin as he walked away contemplating his next move. She was proving more stubborn then he expected her to be. He admired her determination. She was beautiful too and he just wanted to lose himself in her beauty. His father was right if he wasn't careful he could easily fall under her spell and fall hopelessly in love with her.

If he had any hope of reaching her he had to show what effects her actions will cause in the future. Pushing away from her "Yes I'm going to show you what her future holds. What little future she has that is."


Drew stood up and blindly ran from the hospital. She couldn't believe this was happening. That this was it. Caleb had broken up with her. Star had won. Crying so hard she didn't look up as she stepped into the parking lot. Didn't see the headlights barreling down on her. She felt the impact as she was catapulted into the air. Dimly she was aware of her phone ringing. A slight smile played upon her lips as she recognized the ring tone she had set for Caleb before she breathed her last. 

Burying her head in her hands Jennifer sobbed. Taking pity on the girl Chase knelt in front of her. 

"This future isn't written in stone yet. It hasn't happened yet. You can change it. Stop what you're doing."

Taking in a gulp of air Jennifer looked up her blue eyes swimming in tears "if it's not written yet it doesn't have to happen. Who's to say that it will if I go back in time again?"

"Haven't you learned anything yet?" Chase asked his growing frustration had him running his hands through his hair. "Isn't Drew's heartbreak enough to change your mind?" Even as he asked he knew it wasn't. He would have to show her yet another tragedy. He only hoped he had enough and she wasn't so far gone that she couldn't be reached.



6 comments:

  1. :O Well, first of all, I never played as a ghost, so I didn't know you could pose them xD Though I guess they're like any other sim, mostly. Star was supposed to cross over? I knod of se eher being both ways. Vindictive and also, accepting. She did blackmail Tim Levesque, so I don't doubt it haha. Chase and Jennifer? That's be...interesting. I don't know how to feel about that actually, if it were to happen, that is. I hope she changes, because losing Drew, especially to a car accident, would destroy Caleb. He'd be irreperable, I don't know if he'd recover. Also, can you kill youir heir before she has kids? >:D Either way, I still hope Jennifer changes and everything goes back to normal because Grace should live!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know if ghosts could be posed until I tried it. Yeah Star was supposed to cross over but didn't thanks to Jennifer. When she blackmailed Tim it was doomed to failure because she was so out of her league. LOL She regretted as soon as she did it.
      Not sure where I'm taking Chase and Jennifer. We'll see. They have attraction hearts for each other so anything's possible.
      Losing Drew before she can have kids would end the legacy and Caleb would never recover. He;s supposed to make sure the Gray's exist in this universe. That's why Emit will have to step in and stop Jennifer if Chase isn't successful.
      It's going to take a lot to convince Jen to give up her attempts. With so many changes, what's normal? Unfortunately the only thing that can be changed is the future....
      Thank you for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  2. Wow, Jen is a stubborn one. It's like she's obsessed with that "change the time" idea. Chase has his work cut out for him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen was always stubborn added with her obsessive nature she's not going to give up easily. Right now she's thinking the future hasn't happened yet so she can go back to the past make a surgical change and Drew's future won't happen. How could it if she succeeds in saving her dad? She's not thinking straight and she's not willing to give up yet. We'll see with the next several chapters if she changes her mind.

      Delete
  3. Chase and Robert are so patient to do all this with Jennifer. I kind of feel like she may have lost her heart already. She didn't seem to care that Grace was dead because of her. I like seeing different things that should have happened, that scene with Star being so loving, sticking around to make sure Caleb was happy again, was so touching. That's real love, and it was so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chase wants to make Jennifer face up to the things she has done. It's also making him realize the things he might have done when he was at his worst. Robert would do anything for his kids and she's the reason why he hasn't moved on. Jennifer is good at repressing her true feelings and she's believes that everything will change once she stops her dad from being killed so she's not really concerned by the things that have happened because in her mind it will all change. Things would have been so different if Jennifer wasn't bumbling around in the past changing things. I felt bad for Star because she truly loved Caleb and I felt this was more in line with what their relationship was. But because she wasn't able to move on when she was supposed to it altered her personality.
      Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete