Tuesday, September 1, 2015

3.11 Jeff - What Should Have Been

Author's Note: This is Jeff Bennett's story of what should have been before Jennifer messed up the time line. Lisa Kimble was made by Goatkibble for my story. We'll see more of Lisa in the next chapter. Thank you Goatkibble for allowing me to have Lisa in my story.


Standing at attention Jeff stared straight ahead of him. Trying not to make eye contact with the stunning girl across from him. She was a cadet just like him and every morning they were ousted from their cots to stand at attention while the drill sergeant inspected them. It wasn't what Jeff had expected the police academy to be like. Somehow he thought it would be more text book oriented. Learning the various laws the average man had no clue existed. Not this physical exertion of running obstacle courses. Keeping his eyes straight ahead barely breathing ignoring his already sore and tired muscles. What did they think they were going to be doing dodging bullets? Why all this emphasis on physical fitness? Weren't they supposed to sit around and eat donuts all day? It was considerably more difficult then he expected to become a cop.

"Cadet Bennett," the drill sergeant loud and booming voice broke into his thoughts.

"Yes sir," he shouted back in acknowledgement.

The sergeant stood in front of him his anger coloring his already ruddy face a crimson red "is there a problem cadet?"

Mind racing Jeff fleetingly wondered what he had missed "no sir."


"Why are you still standing here?" the sergeant shouted at him his face mere inches from Jeff's.

Shit the line had been dismissed. He had missed the command. His mind had been preoccupied. Jeff's eyes shifted enough to see his fellow cadets starting on the obstacle course. "Sorry sir."

"Fifty extra laps Cadet Bennett and Cadet Kimble" The sergeant glared at the girl directly across from Jeff. "This is not preschool. If you expect to be police officers you need to train your powers of observation and attention spans." He glared at both of the hapless cadets before bellowing "dismissed."

"Sorry," the girl said running beside him as they went to catch up with the others "I tried to get your attention..."

"Then I'm sorry," Jeff gave her a rueful smile "I got you in trouble. I'm sorry you shouldn't have stayed behind. Now we're both on the shit list."


Shrugging the girl smiled "I'm Lisa by the way."

"Jeff," he said as they surveyed the wall they had to scale. "Ever do any rock climbing?"

Looking up she shook her head "I don't like heights."

"Just don't look down," Jeff advised her as he prepared himself for the climb. 

"Easy for you to say," she replied looking up "I don't think I can do this."


Stepping back Jeff went to her "sure you can." She gave him a dubious look shaking her head. "Just imagine there's a kid up there that needs our help. Your the only who can rescue him. What are you going to do?"

Her mouth twitched flattening into a thin firm line "I'm going up there and I'm going to get the kid."

"That's my girl," Jeff patted her shoulder "go get him."

Ignoring the baleful look of disapproval from the drill sergeant Jeff began his climb.

Finishing the grueling obstacle course Jeff and Lisa approached the running track. "Get to it," the sergeant yelled at them. Sighing they lifted their tired legs and began to run.



"I don't think I can do this,' Lisa panted beside him "my side is already killing me."

Glancing over to where the sergeant was keeping at eye on them. Jeff grunted "unless you want him riding your back the entire you're here I suggest you keep going."

Holding her side "easy for you to say your'e in better shape then me."

"I think your're in pretty good shape," Jeff told her without thinking as he kept pace with her.

Grinning despite the pain and exhaustion that threatened her "so cadet Bennett you like my shape."


He felt his face flush and hoped the sweat and heat hid his embarrassment. "Um err it's a very nice shape," he said lamely and almost died when she laughed at him.

"I think that's one of the sweetest things anyone has said to me since I got here" she smiled at him 
"believe me I've had a lot of guys coming on to me since I got here. None of them were as adorable and sweet as you."

Jeff ran ahead his thoughts racing. Adorable. Sweet. Not exactly the words he wanted to described as. Ruggedly handsome, brave maybe a little daring. How was he supposed to instill fear in the hearts of criminals if he was sweet and adorable? He turned his head as someone ran up beside him.

Panting hard Lisa glared at  him "what's the big idea? I thought you were going to set a reasonable pace. Are you trying to kill me?" 

Looking sideways at her "is that how you see me? Sweet and adorable?"


"Well yeah," she grinned "kind of like a country bumpkin lost in the city."

They ran a few laps in silence before Lisa asked " why did you decide to become a cop?"

Bristling at the question Jeff asked "why? Don't you think I'll make a good cop?"

He ran ahead try to out race his thoughts she shouted at him "that's not what I meant?"

Anger pumped adrenaline into his already tired muscles as he tried to out run her.  Country bumpkin. Out of place in the city. Not tough enough. What if she was right? Maybe he couldn't do the job. What if he got someone killed because he wasn't able to do his job?

***


Six months later Lisa approached Jeff on the shooting range. She noticed as he brought the gun up to fire how his hands shook and beads of sweat beaded on his brow. Silently she took her position on the firing line beside him. Took aim. Perfect score. Looking up as Jeff swore under is breath as he received his score. "What's the matter speedy? Miss your shots."

Jeff jerked up glaring at her. She never missed an opportunity to call him speedy. A reminder of the day he ran away from her. She glanced over his shoulder gasping "oh." Her shock did nothing to alleviate his anger and disappointment in his performance. "I'll never get my permit if I can't even hit the target," he muttered to himself.

Before he could turn and storm off Lisa put a hand on his shoulder "I can help you if you'd like."

Silently he stared at his target nodding accepting her offer. "Alright let me see your stance." She nodded in approval "it's not that then." Biting her lip deep in thought she watched Jeff ready himself to fire. The same hesitance took control as he aimed. The same disappointment as his target came back all clean misses. "What do you think about when you to aim and fire your gun?" she asked.

A far away haunted look crept over his face. "I think about them. Their last thoughts before they died." He turned and wiped his eyes trying t compose himself "I'm sorry."


"For what?" she stared at him refusing to be dismissed like he had done the last time by running away from her. Helping him put his gear away she put a hand on his arm gently asking "tell me about it."

Blinking he nodded as he let her guide him to a quiet spot on the academy grounds. "I was ten years old when it happened. Me and my cousin walked in the house to find my dad's crazy ex-wife pointing a gun at my mom and our younger siblings. It was awful. It happened so fast and yet I remember every detail like it happened in low motion."

"Oh Jeff I'm so sorry," she leaned into him on the grass after he told her how his parents had died. "I think that's why you can't hit the target. You see them and it keeps you from hitting the mark."

Sighing he sat up running his hands through his hair. "You're probably right but how do I overcome it? Sooner or later I'm going to have to fire my gun at someone. What if I can't? What if I can't and someone dies because of me?"

"Remember what you told me at the climbing wall?" she asked. He nodded in response. "Think about saving the life of someone you care about."


"It sounds easy but it's not," he said watching the breeze blow her hair around her face. "You really are quite beautiful," he said leaning close to her and kissing her lips. It was like being jolted with electricity as he deepened the kiss.

Lisa pulled away leaning into him "whoa there speedy. That was ... that was..." she grinned up at him "wow" she giggled as little self-consciously before leaning into him returning the kiss.

***

Romance was strictly frowned upon among the cadets. They took whatever opportunity they could to be together. With Lisa's continued help Jeff was soon able to not only hit the target but was shooting as if not better then she was. It had been the excuse they used to be together and it showed as they rose to the top of their class. 

As graduation approached they took every chance they could to be together. One night as they lay in each others arms under the starry sky they failed to hear the approach of the stealthy approach of a figure until it bellowed at them "cadets Bennett and Kimble my office now."

Scrambling to their feet muttering "yes sir." They gripped each other's hands as they followed the Drill Sergeant into his office.


Taking a seat behind his desk the sergeant ordered "close the door."

Turning Lisa did as commanded returning to her spot beside Jeff facing the irate sergeant.

They stood at attention listening to the policy of fraternization among cadets and police officers. "Don't bother trying to deny the your relationship." The sergeant bellowed "I'm not stupid or blinds Graduation is less then a week away I for one do not want a scandal. This is my proposal. You each are at the top of the class and Bridgeport requested both of you. That is no longer possible for obvious reasons. Which one of you wants the post available in Monte Vista?"

Jeff was about to volunteer when Lisa tugged on his hand shaking her head. "I don't want you to go," she told  him.

"Lisa you have family in Bridgeport."


"So do you. Not to mention your uncle was a detective at the precinct," she looked at Jeff forgetting that the sergeant was only a few feet away. "I was going to have to quit anyway" she confided to him.

"What? Why?" Jeff asked confused. Knowing how much she had wanted to become a police office to honor her father's memory he told her "I won't let you quit."

Touching his lips she smiled "you don't have a choice and neither do I. I'm pregnant..."

"You're what? Oh my ..." Jeff suddenly felt feint "you're sure?"

Nodding sucking in her bottom lip "five weeks along. I was going to tell you tonight but we were rudely interrupted." Turning to the sergeant "I'll be rendering my resignation. My only request is I be allowed to graduate with the class."

***


Shaking her head Jennifer stared at the scene "this is all wrong. All wrong," she muttered.

Watching the girl beside him Chase saw the beginnings of chinks in her armor. Could she be melting? Regretting the things she had done? Unable to contain his curiosity he asked "what's the matter? Don't you like the idea of knowing another child wiped from existence all because of your obsession?"

Wiping at tears she stared at her fingers. At the wetness the tears had left "yes I'm saddened but I knew there would be consequences to my actions." She turned hate filled eyes on Chase "this is your fault. I was doing just fine until you came along. I didn't need to know all of this. Why? So that I can have this weighing on my conscience?"

"Amanda lives with it. She sees the changes you've made knows the timeline that you created is all wrong." Chase grabbed her arms "why should you be exempt from the consequences of your actions when she suffers? She's innocent of any involvement in your actions and yet she's in pain all the time because of you. Tell me how is that fair?"

Struggling to free herself she cried "I didn't know."


"You and I both know that's a lie," Chase said without sympathy "or you would never have purposefully changed Robbie's life. That was done with the intent to hurt him. You even went out of your way to tell him what you had done to maximize his suffering...."

"I know," she cried "I was hurt. I was angry."

"I'm sensing a theme," Chase shook her "it's all about you. None of this was about your dad."
The tears stopped as his words sank it. Glaring at him "it was. It's all for him."

"At the beginning maybe but it turned into something else. Ever since Emit told you it couldn't be done...."

"He doesn't know everything" she screamed at him. Her anger overwhelming her "I'll prove he's wrong." She turned her back on him refusing any and all attempts to reason with her.

***


Flopping on the couch tired from a long day at work. He smiled up at his wife "how is our little monster?"

"Shh the monster has bionic ears," she smiled as they heard the unmistakable clear high pitched scream of their little monster calling for her daddy. "See."

Moaning Jeff got up gave Lisa a quick kiss on the cheek as he went to check on his favorite little girl. "Hey daddy's here," he called from the doorway "what's up with all the noise?"

His daughter squealed in delight at seeing her daddy. Raising her arms "daddy home" she cooed.

"That's right sweet pea," Jeff smiled as he swooped his little girl up into his arms. "Whose my girl?"


"Me daddy," she squealed as he tickled and snuggled her.

Once he had her calmed and back in her crib Jeff backed out of the room. Bumping into Lisa on his way out. She poked him playfully "I thought I was your girl."

"You are," he smiled at her "she's just a lot harder to handle than you."

"So you think I'm easy," she went to tickle him knocking them both to the floor. 

"Hey take it easy," he complained when she nipped his ear with her teeth.


"I thought you liked it rough," she pouted.

"I do but I also like to keep my ears in one piece," rolling her over on the floor "so no teeth marks if you don't mind."

"How about I just do this," she licked a trail from his ear to his shoulder blade and up again stopping to suck on his neck.

He felt the shivers her touch always sent through his body. "No hickeys either," Jeff told her.

"Too late," she murmured against his skin as she moved down his body.


An hour or so later they woke up on the floor surrounded by their discarded clothes. Tweaking her nose he smiled "what got into you? Not that I'm complaining that was...wow."

"I've missed you," she threw a leg over his "you've been working such long hours I hardly see you."

Squeezing her tight "I've missed you too. It's this case we're working on...."

Lifting her head up she asked "the Daddy Killer?"

He saw the worry in her eyes as she gazed down at him "yeah that one. I wish the media hadn't named him that."


"It's true though. He kidnaps little babies to lure their fathers into traps. Then he kills them and leaves the babies crying in their blood." She buried her head on his shoulder "I wish you weren't assigned to that case."

"It's a great opportunity," Jeff told her "for someone like me who hasn't been on the force that long. 
This is a career changer. I couldn't pass it up besides if I can get this wack job of the streets then we'll all rest a lot easier."

"I suppose so," she nuzzled into him "I just worry about  you." She started to draw lazy circles on his chest. "Are you hungry?" she asked getting up.

"I am," he pulled her down to him "but not for food" he said as he devoured her mouth with his.

The following morning while they were eating breakfast Lisa suggested "why don't you ask Zayne over for supper tomorrow night? We can grill and the kids can play."


"Mmm," Jeff said over a mouthful of pancakes.

"Is that a yes?" she asked with amusement.

Nodding as he swallowed "sorry I'm famished this morning."

Giving him a knowing smile she winked at him "wonder why?" she said as she sat suggestively on his lap.

"Woman get off me before we have a repeat performance of last night and unfortunately I don't have the time to do a proper job." He quickly lifted her from his lap as he stood up kissing her lips before racing from the house for work.

***


Sitting at his desk filling out reports Jeff glanced up at his partner. "Lisa wants you and Cheryl to come over for supper tomorrow night."

"I'll call Cheri and let you know," Zayne told him looking up from his computer. "Is Lisa giving you extra lovin" he gestured towards his neck

Embarrassed Jeff tried to pull his shirt collar up to cover the hickey's "I guess she is."

Laughing at his partners expense Zayne suggested "maybe she should learn to leave her love bits in less noticeable places." After a moment he continued "I could have Cheri give her a few pointers...."

"What no," turning all shades of red.


"Just trying to help," Zayne got up to go make a his phone call home. "Cheri knows what she's doing..."

"Lisa and I do just fine....just go make your phone call," Jeff waved him away. Shaking his head as his partner left still laughing. Zayne had a way of getting under is skin. He liked the guy but sometimes he didn't know when to quit. A few minutes later Zayne returned "well?"

"Cheri's calling Lisa now," he rolled his eyes "not doubt before end of shift we'll each have a list of things this grill out needs and we'll be stopping at the store for supplies."

"You're probably right," Jeff said somewhat distracted "Zayne get over here and have a look at this."

Hurrying over to peer over his partner's shoulder at the computer monitor "we should go check that out."

***


"I have a bad feeling," Jennifer muttered.

Shrugging Chase glanced over at her "why so concerned? Everything in this timeline changed because of you."

Dragging her eyes from the scene she glared at Chase "how do I know what you're showing me is really what was supposed to happened? This could all be an elaborate trick."

"It could be," Chase acknowledged "but if it is why would your dad be helping me? He's been trying to convince you to stop."

"I know," she muttered underneath her breath "surely the changes I've made improved someone's life..."


"Possibly," Chase conceded "but that wold be counter productive to my purpose to show you those."

"I suppose,"turning back to the frozen scene before them "if I were to stop would things go back to where they were supposed to? Back to this timeline?"

"No," Chase shook his head "time would realign itself adjusting to the changes you made in the past. The future outcomes of the adjusted timeline is the only thing changeable..."

"So my mom, the babies are....gone forever?" she almost choked on the words.

Moved by pity for her he reached for her hand and squeezed "I'm sorry."


"Why can't I just go back and undo what I've done?" She turned her deep blue eyes toward him brimming with tears "isn't that possible?"

Shaking his head he sighed "I'm sorry no. There would be even worse time disruptions to deal with. Too much time has already elapsed..."

"Shouldn't we try? I mean you don't really know ... do you?" Jennifer insisted "maybe I'll still figure out what I did wrong and be able to save my dad."

Blinking at her stunned Chase dropped his head in his hands groaning. How could she be so stubborn?

***


Arriving at the abandoned warehouse they got of the car. "Did you call for backup?" Zayne asked staring at the formidable building.

"Yeah," Jeff affirmed "should we wait?"

Zayne began to nod only to be startled by the sounds of panic, pain induced screams. "That decides it. We go in" he pulled his gun from his holster.

Jeff followed his partner in as they cautiously traversed the open parking lot in front of the warehouse. Stopping at the door he nodded in response to Zayne's hand signals.

They searched the empty warehouse to the sounds of the tortured screams. They stopped behind a closed locked door. The sudden silence sent chills through them as it either meant they had triggered a silent alarm or the victim was dead.

Nodding Zayne kicked the door open and ran into the room gun drawn. Jeff followed behind stopping in shock. Heart sinking in despair as his little girl looked up at  him and squealed "daddy come." 
Zayne's little girl looked up smiling approaching her daddy arms up wanting to be held. In a strangled voice Zayne ordered "Jeff take the girls and get out."


Looking towards his partner Jeff noticed how unnaturally still he was standing in the middle of the room not even acknowledging his daughter. "Zayne what's wrong?" Jeff asked not fully comprehending the danger. His mind still working on how their kids had gotten here. Where were Lisa and Cheri? What happened to them?

"Just do as a I say" Zayne demanded.

Hearing the anger and fear in his partner's voice Jeff said with dread "we've been lured into a trap haven't we?"

"I'm standing on a pressure bomb," Zayne swallowed "I can't move without blowing all of us up."

"What can I do?" Jeff asked moving toward his partner.


"Just get the girls and get out," Zayne turned his head towards Jeff. Jeff could see the desperation in his eyes as he said "tell Cheri I love her."

Loud unnerving laughter filtered into the room breaking Jeff out of his daze he scooped up the girls and ran for the door. It was closing fast and already too small for him to get through without letting the girls go. He shoved them through as the door closed.

***

Screaming as the explosion went off Jennifer covered her head with her hands. Chase rubbed her back unable to offer any other comfort. Lifting her head she cried "if this is the way it was supposed to be then I'm glad I changed it."



2 comments:

  1. Wow, that was brutal! Goodness gracious! Is Jeff dead? At least now Jenn feels bad
    But its a bit late! Her mom is dead too now. She needs to let go of the time machine for good. Nothing pleasant will come from it. Also, I see Zayne found his soulmate. It's too bad you (prospectively) killed him off lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He might have gotten out. We don't know. Jen feels bad but she feels justified now in making the changes because that potentially means she saved her brother's life. I almost have the next chapter ready to go so we'll see what changes she made to the timeline. We still have to see what becomes of Diana and she just might be what causes Jen to give up on her crusade. She was closest to Diana then the rest of the others. I had to use Zayne plus I needed a way to introduce Charlie into the story. Did you see in this original timeline Charlie was a girl? In the altered timeline that they actually live in the BC will be mentioned and it will give new meaning to why he was so mean to poor snowbelle. But with the tragic backstory I'm giving him there's no way he would have been able to cope with what's going to happen to her. So's all good and I have a really cute spouse for the next potential heir out of the deal. Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete