Sunday, June 28, 2015

3.5 You Hold My Heart


"Caleb what's all of this?" Drew asked as she watched him spread a blanket out on the grass. "Are we having a picnic?" she giggled like a little girl anticipating a treat.

"I thought it'd be a nice change from the packed sandwiches we normally eat," Caleb replied. At the sound of her excited little girl giggle he grinned. "Your mom of course helped with the actual contents otherwise it would have been the same old sandwiches in a pretty package."

"It would have been just as sweet," she assured him sitting next to him. Looking at all the goodies
"ooh strawberries," her eyes danced as she grabbed for the delicious fruit.

Slapping her hand away "don't go playing grabby hands," he protested.

Sticking her bottom lip out she pretended to pout "but I love strawberries..."


"Well that does alter things," Caleb reached over and selected one and held the strawberry out to her. As she reached for it he snatched it back and stuffed it into his mouth instead.

"Hey you little...."she cried lunging for him trying to reach the strawberries he was holding just out of reach from her. Moving in she tried to tickle him to gain an advantage. Rolling her over Caleb looked deep into her dark brown eyes enjoying the way the moonlight sparkled in them. Time seemed to stop as his lips brushed against hers as ....

***


"I saw what you did," the ghost said to the girl.

"So?" the girl said pleased with herself. Watching the couple as they scrambled to clean up the mess she made. She smiled remembering the moment when the pink haired male was about to kiss the girl. So romantic until she dumped the ice bucket over them.

"That won't work forever," he told her.

"It worked this time that's all that matters," she said with a sly smile. "I'll think of something else next time."

"Don't you think it's time you let him go?" he asked.


"You're a good one to ask. I don't see you letting go. Still hanging around the wife and kids," she retorted.

"I watch over them. If Grace ever finds someone else to love I'll be happy for her. She deserves to be happy," Robert told her "they need me looking out for them. Drew especially..."

"So you think it's alright for her to move in on my man..."

"He's not your man anymore. You're dead. It's not like you and Caleb can be together. Doesn't he deserve to be happy too?" Robert grabbed hold of her before she could drift away.

"He was mine. We were going to get married. Why should he get to move on when I can't?"


"Don't you think almost twenty years of grieving is enough?" Robert asked "Does he have to suffer all his life because you had the misfortune to have died?" Shaking his head he continued "it's time you let go. No amount of ice and spilt drinks are going to break them up if it's meant to be."

"Everything was alright until he met her," Star complained. "Why does she get to have what I want?" She looked towards the couple talking quietly while eating the remnants of their picnic.

"Star don't do it," Robert told her fearing that she would start haunting them. "It'll only make things worse. Don't let your jealousy ruin his memory of you. Let  him remember you and the love you shared. If you continue on this course it'll only bring you and him misery."

"Easy for you to say. Grace hasn't stopped grieving for you. She hasn't forgotten you and moved on to someone else. When she does come to me then. Tell me how happy you are for her then. Until then leave me alone."

Dropping his hand from her arm Robert let her go. She was right that he didn't know how she felt but he hoped he wouldn't let jealousy control him. He hoped he'd be happy that Grace found someone else to be happy with. He promised himself when his children didn't need him anymore he'd move on. There was one that needed him but he couldn't reach her. She was causing so much damage. Ruining not only her own future but the futures of everyone around her. Drifting away Robert went to check on the others.

***


"How do you think that cooler tipped over like that?" Caleb asked finishing his desert.
Shrugging "a jealous spirit maybe?" Drew said half jokingly.

"You don't think it was .... " Caleb stopped sitting up looking around.

"I was joking," Drew said sitting in his lap. Taking his face in her hands forcing him to look at  her 
"if it was a spirit I doubt it was Star. She loved you right? She'd want you to be happy."

"You're right she would want me to be happy..."

"I hear a but in there," Drew said hugging him close.


"She gave up so much for me. She died because she was coming to see me..." he looked into Drew's eyes as he said "what if she's angry because of that?"

"Oh Caleb don't think like that," she took his face in her hands "It's not your fault that she died. It's not your fault that the accident happened when she was going to see you. It's one of those terrible things that happen that we have no control over."

"I know but I can't help but wonder what she was thinking in her final moments. If she blamed me..." he hung his head feeling Drew wrap her arms around him.

"You'll get the opportunity to ask her when we find her spirit." Drew told him confident that he was worried for nothing.

"I hope your right," he said. Leaning in close he finished the kiss he started minutes before. Mumbling against her cheek "I think I'm falling in love with you."



Drew pulled back grinning "I heard that Caleb Gray. If I was in the mood to be honest with myself I'd say was falling in love with you too." Jumping up she ran a few feet away laughing. She slowly turned in circles, arms wide smiling up into the star studded sky.

Caleb watched for a moment before joining her. Putting his arms around her they moved to the music in their hearts. Stopping as their mouths sought each other out, molding their bodies against each other. 

***


The following week Drew and Caleb did very little ghost hunting preferring to gaze into each other's eyes then seek out spirits. Coming down for breakfast one morning Drew squealed in delight. Throwing her arms around the brown haired man standing beside the breakfast table. "Alex your home," she cried as he twirled her around the room.

Laughing in glee she demanded "put me down I'm 18 not 8." Standing on her feet she immediately threw her arms around him again "I've missed you."

Smiling Alex waited for her excitement to die down before trying to talk over her squeals. He was used to girls gushing over him but it was different with family. This was genuine excitement they had over seeing him. Not some over blown unrealistic image some fan girl had of him. He really wanted to settle down, start a family but that didn't seem like that would ever happen for him now.

"Where's Janessa?" Drew asked looking around. His crestfallen face had her wrapping her arms around him again "I'm so sorry. I didn't know. What happened?"

"She accused me of not giving her enough of my time and attention," Alex snorted "I gave her all the time I could between tours, recording sessions and family. But that wasn't enough for her. She got everything I had and wanted more." Shrugging "I warned her when we started dating what my life was like. She said that could handle it. She was wrong."


"I know that dilemma well," Caleb said from behind them.

"Alex this is Caleb. The one I was telling you about who wants to get into the music business," Drew explained.

Alex's eyes narrowed assessing the young pink haired man standing in front of him "looks like you've been raiding my closet."

"Alex be nice," Drew pleaded.

Ignoring her he continued "what's up with the pink hair?"


"Alex please," she entreated "I like his hair."

Something in her voice caught Alex's attention. Looking down at her he smiled "ok you win I'll be nice." Turning to Caleb sticking his hand out "I'm Alex it's nice to meet you Caleb."

Caleb took the offered hand waiting for the next shoe to drop. Alex reminded him of the kids that used to pick on him while he was in school "it's nice to meet you," he settled on not wanting to make an issue over what Alex had said to start off with.

Winking at Drew Alex smiled "I'm sorry for being an ass. Part of my job is to look out for Drew. 
She's my baby sister and sometimes I forget she's 18 and doesn't need me chasing off jerks for her."

At Caleb's confused look Drew squeezed  his hand "he's apologizing  in his usual flair of bad manners. Plus you passed his test."

"Test?" he asked even more confused.


"Yeah" Alex shrugged "I say something and wait to see how the other guy reacts. If you had gotten upset you'd have failed. I like a guy who doesn't take himself to seriously. But if you want to make it in the music business you really do need to invest in a better wardrobe. I'm not just saying that to be mean either. The hair," he grinned "will make the girls swoon at your feet. So I wouldn't change it."

"I was going to say the pink hair stays. I've already had to get used to a new hairstyle. I'm not about to change the color." Caleb crossed  his arms staring at Alex then down at his shirt and smiled "as far as this goes I did raid your closet. If you had better taste I'd be better dressed."

"Why do you think I left it behind?" Alex asked "it's looks terrible."

“If you didn’t like it,” Drew asked “why’d you buy it?”

“The girl I was shopping with said I looked good in it. When we broke up I never wore it again.” Sitting down Alex asked “So Caleb do you write your own songs?”


Nodding “I do. Gene set up a meeting with someone next week who wants to see what I’ve got.”

“Uncle Gene’s the best. He’ll be looking out for your best interests.” Falling silent he considered his words before continuing “I’d suggest when choosing a manager your up front with your needs. Otherwise they’ll walk all over you and leave you no time for yourself or family.”

“I’ve considered that,” Caleb said “honestly family is the only thing that will keep you sane in the crazy world of fame.”

“I couldn’t agree more,” Alex grinned “which is why I make these long trips home. I have to see my favorite sister.”

Sticking her tongue out Drew grinned at him “love you to bro.”


They were sitting talking when the front door was thrown open and a girl came in demanding “why didn’t you tell me you were coming home?”

Rolling his eyes Alex stood up “I wanted to avoid an argument.”

“I don’t argue. It’s not my fault you refuse to listen,” Amanda asserted. Hugging her twin looking him up and down “you look tired. Are you eating right? Getting enough sleep?” She asked as he nodded unable to get a word in edge wise “I’ll give you a free reading. Then we’ll know exactly what your problem is.”

“Mandy,” Alex protested with a mixture of anger and exasperation in his voice. “No,” he crossed his arms and walked away.

***


“Amanda,” Drew said getting up to hug her sister “why do you insist on irritating Alex like that? You know he doesn’t believe in ghosts and stuff.”

Glancing in the direction Alex had disappeared in she said “I don’t care. If he’d just listen he’d avoid a lot of his problems.” Turning back to Drew and Caleb she turned serious “are you still ghost hunting?”

Looking at each other they nodded “we haven’t actually been out in a while,” she admitted.

“That’s actually a good thing,” Amanda said “I’m not getting good vibes from the spirit world. There’s a ghost whose not happy with you.”

“What? Why?” Drew asked “we always tell the spirits what we’re doing. We never take any who don’t want to go.”


Shaking her head, “this ghost hasn’t been spoken too or approached by you. I’m still trying to figure out why she’s angry.” Looking at them she requested “tell me what happened the last time you had been out hunting. Did anything weird happen?”

They looked at each other than shook their heads. Drew burst out laughing “the only thing that happened was Caleb knocked over the cooler when he tried to kiss me.”

“Yeah we had ice cubes and cold water everywhere,” Frowning at Drew “I didn’t knock the cooler over. You did, didn’t you?”

“No,” shaking her head “we joked about it being a ....” she frowned losing her smile.

“A what?” Amanda prompted.

“A jealous spirit,” Caleb finished.

Considering his words Amanda sat down “do any of you know of any spirits who could be jealous of you?”

“No of course not,” Caleb said adamantly.


Drew looked at him questioningly before turning to Amanda. Caleb squeezed her hand before adding 
“Star wouldn’t be jealous. It’s not her. It can’t be...”

“Who’s Star?” Amanda demanded.

“Star Upton,” Drew said knowing Caleb couldn’t say it “she was Caleb’s girlfriend before she died.”

Bringing his head to his hands Caleb asked “why would Star be angry with us? At me?” He lifted sorrow filled eyes up to them.

Taking his hand Drew lent him her support. Turning to Amanda she repeated Caleb’s questions. “Why now? It’s been almost twenty years.”


Leaning forward Amanda looked at the couple sadly “because of you Caleb. You’ve been grieving for her, keeping her from moving on. Now she sees the object that has kept her here moving on. Finding happiness without her. She’s angry and jealous.”

“Is she dangerous?” Caleb asked fearing the worse.

“I don’t know,” Amanda said “the spirits that contacted me wanted to warn me of a possible problem. An angry spirit is never a good thing but it’s nothing I haven’t handled before.” She smiled at them “don’t worry. I’ll put out feelers and see if I can arrange a meeting with her. Maybe I’ll be able to calm her down. I’ve done it before.”

“But ...” Caleb lifted his head looking lost and forlorn. “It’s not the Star I knew and loved. She’d never hurt anyone...”

“Sometimes when a spirit sticks around to long they lose themselves. Hopefully that hasn’t happened with Star yet. It could just be the shock of seeing you with someone else.” She nodded confidently at them “I’ll find out. In the meantime it might be a good idea that you stay away from cemeteries for a while.”

***


“I couldn’t agree more,” Alex said from the stairs “all this ghost hunting and talking to spirits is ridiculous.”

“You might think differently if you’d give it a chance and quit being such a stick in the mud,” Amanda told him.

“Mandy I love you but I just can’t believe in such hog wash. Let’s just agree to disagree.” His phone rang before he could continue “Ali? What’s wrong? No I haven’t heard from him. No I don’t know where he’s at. We split up to visit family. Ron’s an ass... yes I know he’s your husband but it doesn’t alter what he is. He’s the best drummer I know but he’s a lousy husband and friend. Look Ali I’m trying to have a nice visit with my family. Tell me what you need or I’m hanging up.” Alex walked off for more privacy. When he was gone Caleb turned to Drew “Who’s Ali?”


Shaking her head Drew said “Ali used to be Alex’s girlfriend until she cheated on him with Ron.”

“We thought Alex was going to marry her until that happened. She wound up pregnant with Ron’s baby then she married Ron instead. Personally I don’t think Alex has ever gotten over it,” Amanda explained.

“He always goes to help her when she calls looking Ron. I wonder if she even tries Ron anymore...” Drew fell silent as Alex came back.

“I’ve got to go,” Alex said heading for the door “Ali is having problems with the kids and needs help.”

“Alex,” Amanda stood up “don’t do this. She’s just using you.”

“She doesn’t have anyone else,” Alex said turning towards the door “I’ll be back later...”

“She has a husband,” Amanda yelled after him “she has the best of both worlds. An exciting husband who sleeps around bringing home who knows what and a good decent guy who drops everything to go to her rescue. It makes me so mad.”


“Alex would feel guilty if he didn’t go,” Drew said sadly knowing her brother. She wished she could help her siblings find the happiness they deserved.

“Well he’s asking for trouble” Amanda grumbled “it’s not a wonder all his other girlfriends dumped him. He’s married and doesn’t even know it.” Standing she moved towards the door “I’ve got to go Drew. I’ve got a client coming soon.”

Walking her sister out to the car Drew hugged her. “When are you going to stop talking to ghosts and find yourself a husband?” she teased.


“I’m not,” Amanda said firmly “I’m going to be the weird old spinster lady that all the kids are afraid of.” She laughed enjoying the picture of herself in her head. “Remember Drew stay away from the cemetery until I tell you it’s ok.”

“Is it really that dangerous?” Drew asked not wanting to admit she was scared.

“It could be. Don’t take chances,” Amanda told her “besides you have a gorgeous man to entertain. It wouldn’t hurt you to date someplace other than the cemetery.”

Smiling Drew nodded “you’re right. We could use the time away. It’s not like we’ve been doing much hunting anyway.”

“Yeah your lips keep getting in your way,” Amanda teased laughing at her “love you Drew.”

***


Walking into the house she found Caleb preparing to go out “where are you going?” she asked.

“Out,” he said avoiding looking at her.

“Out where?” she asked as panic gripped her “not to the cemetery.”

Looking up a stubborn firm look setting his jaw to stone “what if I am?”

“You heard what Amanda said. It could be dangerous. Don’t go,” she pleaded.


“I have to,” Caleb insisted “if it’s Star who’s angry with us I might be able to talk to her. Calm her down.”

“Then I’m going with you,” Drew said following him.

“No you’re not,” He put his hand on her shoulders and gently pushed her away.

“Caleb please,” she cried “I can’t lose you too. Please stay here with me.”

Stopping with his hand on the door knob Caleb hesitated. He heard her anguish, her pain. It cut right through him. But didn’t he have a responsibility to Star as well? she was hurting too. He opened the door to the sounds of Drew's cries. He couldn’t leave her, not like this. He closed the door and walked over to her pulling her close. “It’s alright baby. I’m here.”


“I’m sorry I freaked out,” she muttered “I just got so scared thinking of you confronting Star alone.”

“Star would never hurt me,” Caleb told her tilting her chin up “you trust me right?”

Nodding she turned her eyes up at him “I trust you. I don’t trust her. There’s a reason why my sister was given the warning. We shouldn't ignore it.”

“I won’t ignore it but I do need to talk to her. I might be able to help her. She just needs reassurance that I haven’t forgotten her.” Caleb said holding her tight.

“You’ll be careful?” Drew asked giving in.


“Of course I’ll be careful,” he smiled at her kissing her soft sweet lips “you hold my heart now. I love you.”

“I love you too,” Drew snuggled into him. “I belong right here in your arms. I know you feel you have to do this. I won’t stand in your way. Just remember I love you.”


Authors Note: The Ghost of Star Upton was created by legendofsim/thepartysim. Thank you for letting me have her in my story. If you want to know about Star and Caleb's story you can check out How to be a Star written by legendofsim.


4 comments:

  1. This chapter is giving me all kinds of feels. Like, for example, I really like Drew and Caleb together, but at the same time, Star breaks my heart. They were soul mates when I created them and it's making me sad because I'm way past their gen and I feel like Caleb deserves so damn much and I only gave him crap in my story xD Yet, he always overcame it and kept his level head! I don't know what I'm getting at honestly, lol. Anyway! I think it's nice seeing my character written from another point of view. That may be why I love Aimee and Gene so much. I'm usually the one writing for other people's characters and seeing Caleb brought to life (pun intended) by someone else, whose story I absolutely love, is really awesome. I'm glad you had this idea, and no holds barred. Write what you want for him, I don't like stopping creativity ^_^ Also, thanks for the link back! I'm intrigued with what's going to happen at the cemetery. While I'd love to say, Star would never get jealous, she'd move on...I don't think she would. I think her reaction is very believable. Amanda seems like she knows a lot, and that could possibly be dangerous. Alex is getting himself into some troule, he needs a real girlfriend to snap him out of his little puppy dog love trance. Caleb is the sweetest boyfriend ever! <3 Picnics! I just remembered the picnic he had planned for his and Star's first real date, was that intentional? Because if it was, you have a way better memory than I do xD [I just had to check, they had sandwhiches too and joked about it, your references are spot on if they're intentional, if they're not, then what a funny coincidence! XD] Okay, rant over. Good chapter, can't wait for the next one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt bad for making Star into a jealous angry spirit. It doesn't feel like something she would do. That's why Caleb was protesting so much...he knows that's not how Star would be. I know what you mean about seeing your characters brought to life by someone else. I feel that way about Johnny, it's interesting to see someone else's perspective. I never imagined just how strongly Johnny felt about Robert's rejection until reading it in Pennbrook and I'm like wow he's really in a lot of pain over this. There is a reason for why Star is acting the way she is .... it's has to do with the reason why Robert hasn't moved on yet himself. One of his kids is messing things up ....I had story lines for each of the kids before I did the heir poll so I'm trying to incorporate them all into Drew's without doing a side story for all of them. Amanda know's more than what she's telling. She's holding back some information because she wants to be the one to contact Star first but Caleb is going to beat her to it .....I agree Alex needs a real girlfriend but so far all the girls he's dated haven't stuck around for reason or another. He wants to blame it on his work and the lack of time but it's really because he drops everything to help Ali who broke his heart. The picnic was unintentional....it just felt like something Caleb would do .... maybe that's why Star was even more upset ...Thanks for reading and commenting! I appreciate all of your comments especially when I have doubts of which I had many about having Star become jealous. All through "How to be a Star" I was like yes they're going to get together and then she dies and I was heartbroken over it. I loved Caleb and Star together but now I love him with Drew. I think it would be natural that Star would be somewhat jealous because what she and Caleb had was pretty special.

      Delete
  2. Just like the Star Wars saying... 'I have a bad feeling about this.'
    I'm not into believing as fiercely as Amanda is about being able to talk to ghosts and all of that, but I do think that it's possible for spirits to become very angry with people for unreasonable reasons. I don't think that Caleb going out to confront Star's spirit is smart at all, and it's the same reason Drew said, "I don't trust Star." I really don't. Also with what Amanda said, the longer a spirit stays around, the more inhuman they become because they lose whatever they were before, I'd be inclined to believe that part of it. I am worried Star will harm Caleb as a means to 'kill him' so that he can be a ghost and then be with her in the afterlife.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amanda has her reasons for why she feels so strongly about talking to ghosts but she does realize that most people think she's crazy. Caleb should have listened to her warning. Star isn't the person he remembers and loved. You have reason to be worried and I know you already read the next chapter and that feeling you had was spot on.
      Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete