Tuesday, June 16, 2015

3.2 Four Years Later


Authors Note: This chapter and the next one will have some time jumps until Drew is 18 then things will slow down time wise. I elected to give each of the kids there own scene as some of what happens to them will effect Drew so it's important to have the history of their stories mixed in with hers. 

Jennifer


"Robbie why didn't you tell me your mom made a time machine?" Jennifer accused standing in awe in front of the machine. The machine that stood unused for almost twenty years.

Shrugging Rob said "I don't know...it's always been there. Besides Mom always told us that time is a delicate thing and shouldn't be messed with."

"Uh huh," Jennifer said distracted by the thoughts skittering through her head. What if she could go back in time and change what happened to her dad? "I wonder if we could...."

"Could what?" Robbie asked already regretting having mentioned the machine to her. She had that gleam in her eye that always meant she was plotting something. Usually it meant they were about to do something stupid, dangerous or a combination of the two.

Putting an arm around her cousin Jennifer smiled "just think of the possibilities. We could go back in time or we could go into the future. Wouldn't you like to try it? See if it works?"


Shaking his head he crossed his arms "no way. Mom said we shouldn't touch it. It could be dangerous...."

Running her hands along the side of the machine she laughed "I'm touching it know and nothings happening. I'm sure Aunt Evelyn only told you that when you were kids to keep you from traveling by yourself." Tugging on his hand "come in Robbie we're adults now. Why not take an adventure."

His mind reeling with the possibilities Robbie gave in letting Jennifer drag him into the machine. "I want to choose the destination after all it's my mom's machine."

"But it's my idea," Jennifer said pretending to pout.

"You can choose next time," he laughed starting to enjoy himself.


"Ok," she said giving in thinking that next time they'd go back and save her dad.

"Where are we?" Jennifer asked upon exiting the machine "better yet when are we?" she asked as she stood gasping at the graceful curve of the neck of a brontosaurus"

"Jurassic Park," Robbie laughed excited to observe real live dinosaurs.

"I should have known," she rolled her eyes wondering what they would do if they ran into a T-Rex. Run for their lives no doubt.

"Come on we better put these on," Rob handed her some animal skins.


"You're joking right?" She wrinkled her nose "I'm not wearing this. It smells like a dead animal."

"Because it is," Robbie laughed at her "the machine produces the clothes we need to blend in with the time period."

"Then it should have made a me a dinosaur," Jennifer muttered as she changed clothing. Emerging from the bushes she asked "how do I look?"

"Um huh "Rob's jaw dropped he hadn't realized how beautiful his cousin was "I think I'll be beating off every cave man around to keep you safe."

"Just be sure you win," she said with a smirk "I certainly don't want to be dragged off by the hair to be some cave man's woman."

Diana



Looking around the room Terrell turned to his cousin "are you sure about this? You could always stay with us. Mom and Dad won't mind."

Shaking her head in refusal "no I want to be taken seriously and no one will if I'm living with my Aunt and Uncle."


Wrinkling his nose "but this place is a dump and the neighborhood..."

"I'll be fine," Diana laughed at him "honestly your treating me like I'm a child. I just graduated from college. I'm 21. Last I heard that makes me an adult." 

"It's expensive to live in the city," Terrell said attempting a different tact "this place must be costing you a fortune."


"I'll manage," she said while her eyes glittered with repressed anger. "Why can't you just be happy for me? After all you have a place you can come to party."

Putting a hand to his chin considering her offer. He smiled "there is that but dad will kill me if I get caught drinking before I'm 21."

"Come on Teri live a little," Diana batted her large alien eyes up at him "I have a few friends coming over tonight. You'll see this is the perfect place for me. Please."

"Ok I'll give it a chance," Terrell gave in "only because I want to meet these new friends of yours."


"Oh you'll like them," Diana enthused "Darren is coming too. You know the one who said he'd help me find someone to produce dad's novels."

"Oh yeah I'd like to meet him," he said "there's nothing going on between you two is there?"

"Don't be ridiculous! He's old enough to be my dad." Diana laughed but even to her ears it sounded forced.

"There better not be," Terrell said "I might have to defend my favorite cousin's honor."

"I think you have an over active imagination," Diana hugged him "but it's nice to know you have my back."

Amanda


Walking into Amanda's dimly lit room with the curtains drawn and candles flickering made Drew feel somewhat uneasy. "Mandy what are you doing?" Drew asked as she sat opposite her sister who was peering into a glass ball.

"Contacting the spirit world," came her cryptic response.

"Can you contact daddy?" Drew asked looking into the crystal ball seeing only the other side of the room through it.

"Maybe one day, when I've honed my abilities." Amanda said closing her eyes and waving her hands over the ball.

Watching a moment in silence Drew wondered what she was doing but knew better than to interrupt her.


"Daddy visited you didn't he?" Amanda asked in the sudden silence.

Gasping Drew nodded shocked "how did you know that?" she asked.

"The spirits told me," Amanda stared unblinking into the crystal ball. "It was the night before his funeral." She looks at her younger sister "he had a message for you."

Drew nodded feeling a strange almost electric charge in the air around them. Amanda's eyes almost seemed to spark as she stared into the crystal ball. "He told me he loved me."

"That wasn't all he told you. He had something more meaningful to tell you. We've always known he loved us," Amanda looked up and waited for Drew to respond.


"He said I wasn't alone. That he'd always be with me." A tear trickled down her nose. How did Amanda know? Drew knew she had never told anyone about her father's visit. She was too afraid everyone would think she was crazy and a part of her thought it was only a dream. A really vivid dream.  Drew jumped as Amanda let out a loud sigh as her head drooped. "Mandy are you alright?" Drew asked in alarm.

"Hmm yes," she blinked "it wears me out when the spirits communicate to me." She smiled warmly at her sister "your really special Drew for daddy to come to you." She wiped a tear away "I wish he had come to me."

"Are you mad at me?" Drew asked in concern "that he came to me and not you."


"Oh no sweetie," Amanda got up and hugged her baby sister "he came to the one who needed him the most. I remember how alone you were and we shut you out. I'm sorry for that. We needed someone to blame. I'm sorry that someone was you."

Crying softly on her shoulder Drew felt the sincerity of her words and was comforted. It had been four years since that awful night and she still would wake up screaming. But she no longer felt like everyone hated her; especially her mom. It took a while but life had finally took on a more normal routine. There would always be a hole in their lives where their dad should have been.

Alexander


Loud laughter from the open door had both girls jumping. Alex was standing there shaking his head at them. "Mandy stop filling Drew's head with nonsense," he chided his voice hard with an edge of anger.

"It's not nonsense," Amanda tossed back "I really can communicate with spirits."

"Drew honey don't believe her, nobody can," Alex said softening his tone while talking to his baby sister. "I wish we could but we can't."

Unsure who to believe Drew just nodded not wanting to appear to be taking sides between the twins.

"Don't intimidate her," Amanda admonished him "you're such a neanderthal."


"I wasn't intimidating her," Alex denied slightly hurt at the accusation. "The sooner she quits looking for dad around every corner the better. I'm just trying to make sure she doesn't follow after her more flighty sisters."

"I'm not flighty," Amanda crossed her arms "that descriptions applies to Diana."

"Well" Alex shrugged "at least she's not trying to resurrect the dead."

"That's not what I'm trying to do," Amanda pouted "I just want to help the spirits communicate with their loved ones." She smiled at Drew "not all of us are gifted like Drew and get visits from their loved ones before they pass on."

"For crying out loud," Alex rolled his eyes "why don't you use your imagination to write a book instead of this nonsense."


Standing Amanda confronted her brother "quit calling what I do nonsense. I help people."

"Whatever," he grumbled knowing he was fighting a losing battle. Turning to Drew "promise me little sister you won't give up on your dreams of becoming a dancer to chase after ghosts."

"I promise," Drew hugged her brother. She loved all her siblings but she was especially close to Alex. "How's the band?"

He smiled "I just signed a recording contract. Can you believe it? They really liked my songs."

Jumping up squealing in delight both girls smothered Alex with hugs. "Congratulations." Amanda said genuinely happy for him.


Drew hung back until Alex approached her "what's the matter sweet stuff?"

Shrugging she tried to smile but began to cry instead "I don't want you to leave."

Wrapping his arms around her "I'm not leaving yet." He smiled kissing her forehead. He had the same sparkle in his eye that reminded Drew of their dad. "I'll miss you too. Tell you what I'll write a song for you while I'm gone. How would you like that?"

"I'd like that," she smiled through her tears. "I am really happy for you. I'm sorry for being selfish and wanting you to stay here with me."

Kissing the top of her head Alex hugged her close "I'd feel the same way if I were in your shoes." Tilting her chin up he said "you're my girl."


"I wish I was someone else's girl other than my older brother's." Drew said.

"That boy still not noticing you," Alex said in concern.

She shrugged quickly rubbing at her eyes before the tears had a chance to fall.

"Want me to beat him up for you?" Alex offered furious that anyone would treat his sister like this.

"Better not he's a minor. Have Jeff do it." She smiled at him. Alex always had a way of cheering her up.


"You can do better than that guy," Alex squeezed her tight "anyone not man enough to be proud to have you on his arm doesn't deserve you."

"I'm going to miss you," Drew sighed pulling away from him.

"I'll only be a phone call away," Alex told her wishing she could come with him. He hated seeing her so sad. He missed the bubbly energetic little girl she once was. He'd do anything to get that girl back.

Jeffrey


"Mom I need you to sign this," Jeff said coming inside the house. The house he hated despite the remodel he still knew the spot his where his dad bled to death at. He didn't understand why his mom insisted on staying here. As soon as he was done with school he was going to move as far away as he could get.

"Permission for what?" Grace asked distracted preparing supper.

Sighing Jeff rolled his eyes at her "you know I'm interested in police work, right?"

Turning away from the stove she nodded "yes I know. I was hoping you'd change your mind. It's not exactly safe..."

"Nothings safe mom," he said "dad was an author look what happened to him." He watched as her eyes clouded over and tears trickled down her cheeks. He shouldn't have thrown that at her. "I'm sorry."


Drying her eyes she nodded turning away to check the food on the stove. Sighing she steeled herself for whatever Jeff wanted permission for that he knew she wasn't going to like. "Jeff maybe you should just tell me. Hedging around isn't working," her voice trembled despite her effort to keep it steady.

"I want to do a ride along," Jeff blurted "I want to observe an average day of what police officers do."

"No absolutely not," she was appalled, the very idea scared her. "You're way too young. It's too dangerous."

"But mom...."

"No I said no. Don't ask me again," she turned to concentrate on the meal she was preparing. If she could she'd wrap all the kids in wrapping paper and set them on a shelf where nothing could hurt them she would. It was a nice thought but impossible to do. At times like this she wished Robert were there. He always seemed to know exactly the right thing to do and say.


"Uncle Shon's been a cop for over twenty years. He's the one who suggested the ride along. He thought it'd be a good idea for me to see what being a cop is like before I made any decisions...."

"I said no Jeff. Don't ask again," she raised her voice tinged with anger.

"This is so unfair," Jeff screamed running from the house. Sitting in the old sandbox he used to play in as a kid he let the tears flow. Why couldn't she understand this was what he wanted to do? He wanted to help people like the officers helped them the night dad died. He knew it could be dangerous but what wasn't? He wanted to bring the bad guys to justice. Defend the innocent. To make the world a better place so that some other family wouldn't suffer the way they had.

After Jeff stormed out of the house Grace turned the stove off and sank to the floor crying. She should have handled that so much better. She just wanted to keep him safe....

"Mom are you ok?" Drew asked as she came into the kitchen.


Looking up with tears streaming down her cheeks Grace nodded trying to sit up "I'm fine." She smiled at her daughter while Drew gave her a look that clearly showed her doubt. 

Nodding in response Drew changed the subject "what's for supper?"

"I don't know yet," Grace laughed looking at the cold half charred meal she had been preparing. 

"Whatever it is has to be better than what this was." Looking over at Drew "how about we order pizza tonight?"

"Sounds good to me," Drew agreed while reading the permission slip Jeff left on the counter. "Does Jeff still want to be a cop?"

Taking the permission slip away from her Grace nodded. Her hands shook as she read the terms and conditions wondering if she had the courage to sign it and make her boy happy. "I just don't know what to do?" she mumbled softly.


"Why don't you talk to Uncle Shon? He probably knows everything about being a cop?" Drew suggested a little confused why her mom was so upset.

"That's a good idea. Thank you sweetie" Grace turned to make the call asking Drew if she would order the pizza.

It was a solemn supper that night. Everyone was lost in their own thoughts. Clearing the table Grace asked Jeff if he would help her. Mumbling he got up to help. Grace smiled slightly watching him before saying "I spoke to your Uncle tonight." She almost laughed as he turned to her a look of surprise on his face. "Don't get your hopes up. I still have a lot of misgivings about this...."

His face fell "I knew it was too good to be true," he mumbled in disappointment.

Lifting his chin "I didn't say no either. I want to be clear that you are to stay in the police car at all times You are not to get out at any crime scenes. You understand?"


He nodded a look of relief on his face. He couldn't believe it his mom was going to let him go on the ride along. He watched her sign the permission slip. As she handed it to him he broke out into a wide grin "I love you mom."

"I love you too sweetie," she hugged him close wishing she could keep him safe in her arms forever.

Drew


"Mom don't forget I have dance class tonight and a recital tomorrow," Drew said as she stuffed toast into her mouth as she ran out the door to the bus.
As usual Jimmy ignored her as he spoke to his friends. Jeff looked at him then at his sister.  "Jerk," he mumbled under his breath. "Why do put up with that?" he asked putting an arm around her.

"He's nice when he's not with his friends," Drew told him .

"You deserve better than that dweeb," Jeff told her "you deserve someone who's proud to have you on their arm. Someone who wants to show you off to everyone. Jimmy just wants to hide  you until he wants you. You're not something to be ashamed of."

"You sound like Alex. He told me pretty much the same thing," she sighed looking over at Jimmy. He saw her watching and winked as he pulled another girl onto his lap. She gripped Jeff's hand as he moved to stand up. "Don't Jeff. I'll handle it."


"You've been saying that for months," he grumbled "when is it going to be enough?"

"Soon I promise," Drew looked out the window wondering what she was going to do. Everyone was right she could do so much better then Jimmy. He was a dead end down a one way street. But they had been friends since kindergarten or so she thought. He hadn't acted like a friend for a very long time.

All day during class she was plagued with thoughts about what she was going to do. She didn't want to hurt his feelings but why should she care? He had so little regard for hers. When school was done and she was leaving from Dance class she found him waiting for her.

"Hey girl what's up?" he called "I haven't seen you all day. What's up girlfriend?"

Looking around the empty school yard "you must be mistaking me for someone else," she said sighing realizing the conversation she had avoided all day was going to happen now when she was tired and crabby.


"You're my girlfriend..."

"Sure wouldn't know it by the way you act," Drew said crossing her arms.

Leaning forward he tried to put his arm around her "I'm sorry about that girl this morning. I was out of line. You know you're the only girl for me."

She blinked back tears. Jimmy knew exactly what to say to cause her to doubt herself. "No Jimmy you're not sorry." He put on a pouty poppy dog look. Sighing she half turned away from him "I'm tired. I need to go home."

"I'll drive you," he said gallantly


"On what? Your bicycle?" Drew laughed "No thanks I'll walk."

"No you won't," his voice stern his anger barely contained. His eyes glittered with a look Drew hadn't seen before. Shaking his hand off she turned and walked away. He ran after her grabbing her from behind. 

"No girlfriend of mine walks away from me."

"I'm not your girlfriend," she shouted at him "I haven't been for a long time. You don't' think I notice but I do. I'm tired of being ignored. Of being second best. Knowing you'd rather be with that girl on the bus then with me..."

"Well if  you'd put out I wouldn't have to look to other girls," Jimmy retorted.

"What? I'm only fourteen I'm not ready for that yet." She screamed as he grabbed her forcing down to the sidewalk.


"You're ready when I say you are," putting a hand over her mouth to muffle her screams.

Something startled Jimmy enough for Drew to wriggle from underneath him and to run screaming. He ran after her determined to finish what he started....

***

Amanda entered her room as she moved to turn on the light she gasped "daddy?"

"Sweetie your sister's in trouble call Jeff and have the officer he's riding along with go the school," he instructed before vanishing.

Shaking she grabbed her phone ....

"Amanda I'm a little busy. Can't you call back later?" Jeff complained irritated with the interruption.


"Sorry but I just had a visitation from Dad. He says Drew's in trouble and to have you go to the school and check on her," Amanda exclaimed growing impatient with him.

"That's ridiculous," Jeff stammered "you don't expect me to have a patrol car drive to the school just because my crazy sister had a conversation with a ghost who told her our little sister was in trouble. What kind of an idiot do you think I am?"

"I think you're an idiot if you don't do this," Amanda all by screamed at him "Please Jeff I know what I saw. She's in trouble I'd stake my life on it."

Rolling his eyes Jeff was about to ask the officer if he'd mind driving by the school when the call came in. A report of screams coming from the school. As he listened dread filled his heart as Officer Freeman responded to the call.


As they drove up they could see two people struggling on the ground. As they neared Jeff recognized them shouting "that's my sister" he grabbed for the door handle when Officer Freeman grabbed his arm stating "stay here."

Jeff watched in wide-eyed horror as he watched the drama unfold before him. The officer dragged Jimmy off of Drew. As she stood up and staggered a step or two away. Jeff unable to sit still any longer stood up out of the car. Seeing him Drew ran for him burying her face in his shoulder. Jeff held her tight feeling the sobs wrack through her body. "He didn't, did he?"


"No but he tried," Drew sobbed clinging to him. He held her petting her hair. He looked towards a stand of trees where a ghostly figure stood watching them. Jeff smiled recognizing his dad and before he disappeared he heard him whisper in his ear "I'm proud of you son."


7 comments:

  1. This is sweet! Robert is still looking out for the family ;) . And Drew can do way better than that jerk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Drew can do tonnes better than Jimmy. Jimmy had his chance and blew it. Plus neither of her brother's liked him and that was a huge deciding factor for Drew. She's really close to her brothers. Robert is always going to be looking out for his kids.
      Thank you for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  2. :O Drew!! Poor baby, she's being pressured to do things she doesn't want to do...that guy is a jerk. Glad her dad was there! That's awesome that the family is so in tune with each other. Jennifer's story looks really interesting! Wow, she's going to cause some trouble in the past, I can already feel it LOL. I feel bad for Grace, having to raise all of those kids on her own :/ I'm excited for the enxt chapter though! Drew's story is different and I'm enjoying reading from a female's point of view, it's a nice change!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jimmy is a jerk and Drew's better off without him. Robert is always going to be watching over his kids but especially Drew as you'll see as the story goes.
      The family almost fell about but they rallied around each other and the boys especially are very protective of Drew.
      I wish I could go into more depth with Jennifer's story but we'll glimpses of what she's up to. She's a little obsessed with changing the past as you'll see with the next chapter.
      Grace is doing the best she can. Once she got over the shock she pulled herself together. She did receive a lot of support from Robert's family;especially from Gene but in the end she's the only parent the kids have now. Should I add to your excitement for the next chapter? Yes I think so ..... a certain pink haired guy makes an appearance for the first time .... ;)
      Writing in Drew's perspective last chapter helped me see things from her view. She's a bit of a fragile character but with the right people in her life she'll grow stronger. Who know's she may even find the bubbly energetic little girl again.
      Thank you for reading and commenting!

      Delete
    2. I always make it a point to come back to your chapters to see if you've responded to my comments. And I saw that a certain pink haired male will be in the next chapter? My baby, I'm so excited!

      Delete
  3. LOL that's so awesome, Robert is there! XD He's like a ghostly superhero or something. Haha.
    I see nothing good happening with the time machine LOL, I've always heard that if you go back and change something that happened, big or little, it throws off everything in a very bad way. Like if Robert hadn't been dead, he wouldn't have been able to save Drew because he never would have seen her.
    Diana sounds like she's involved with an older guy and likes to party, LOL, could be fun, but she'll probably get herself in some trouble along the way.
    Alex sounds like fun, I'm happy he has a recording contract.
    I feel really bad for Grace, she is all worried now about safety, safety. I completely understand, but that's the worst way to live in the world, in my opinion. It stunts anything you do when you think like that. I am proud of her that she finally let Jeff go on the ride along. I agree with him, life is dangerous, there's nothing that is 100% safe, so you just deal with it.
    Jeff is cool, I like that he wants to be a cop to help people.
    Amanda is interesting, LOL, her and Alex's bickering about her abilities was funny.
    I'm glad that Drew got saved, Jimmy is bad news. It's so sad that he used to be her childhood friend, and now he's grown up into this kind of person? *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robert may be gone but he's still looking out for his family. XD
      You have no idea the trouble that time machine has caused. I have a series of chapters I'm working on that goes into detail of what should be, what is and what might be.
      Diana is going to get herself into some trouble.
      Alex is a fun character to write.
      Grace is going overboard with safety but she knows all to well how short life is and the things that could go wrong to make it even shorter. Plus she's doing the best she can raising all those kids by herself.
      Jeff was shocked that she let him go and it only made him want to be a cop that much more contrary to the hopes Grace had that it might discourage him.
      For being twins they couldn't be more different :D
      Drew is going to have a difficult time letting anyone get close to her after this unfortunately.
      Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete