Thursday, May 21, 2015

Generation 2, Chapter 42 - Finale




Grace smiled happily as she snuggled close to her sleeping husband. Last weekend they had celebrated their tenth wedding anniversary. They had planned on celebrating in France but had to postpone the trip due to Jennifer's college admission interviews. That was another difficult thing to imagine, Jennifer would be eighteen next week. Robert had something special planned for her birthday and graduation.

"Good morning sweetheart," Robert interrupted her thoughts as he turned to smile at her.

"Did I wake you?" Grace asked concerned. Robert hadn't been sleeping well since that woman had showed up at the house. She regretted telling him about Patricia's visit. It had only upset him; especially when she told him about the money she had given her. They both knew she would be back. It was only a matter of time before the money ran out.

"Penny for your thoughts," Robert said squeezing her tight.


"It's not worth a penny," Grace sighed knowing she couldn't deny her anxiety when she saw the frown crease his forehead. "I'm sorry Rob, I was thinking about Patricia. I know I messed up. I should never have given her the money. It's my fault if she comes back asking for more."

"Oh honey don't blame yourself," Robert said holding her close "she took advantage of the situation. Coming when I wasn't home. I'm sorry you had to deal with that. We can live without the money and if she comes again no doubt we can live with that too. My main concern are the children. I don't want her anywhere near them."

"Do you think she's dangerous?" Grace asked "do you think she'd hurt them?"

"I don't know to be honest. It's been thirteen years since I saw her last. I would never have thought she would leave me but she did. I can't rule anything out. People change." Robert held her tight as she burst into tears, "honey this isn't your fault. Patricia is responsible for her own actions. I just wish I knew what she's up to."


"Maybe we should call the police," Grace sniffed into his shoulder.

"If that will make you feel better," she nodded making him smile. "Alright we'll call them as soon as we get up."

"We are up," she said looking at him suspiciously.

"Yeah but there's something else I'd rather be doing right now," he smiled as he brought his mouth down to hers. Kissing her with a passion that hadn't diminished in the past ten years.

***


Later that morning Grace wrapped her harms around Robert whispering in his ear "I love you."

Smiling he turned towards her "I love you more."

Leaning into his embrace she couldn't help but marvel at how lucky she was to have him in her life. When they had met she had still been mourning her husband and unborn child. He had been struggling to raise four young kids on his own. They completed each other. He was the half she had lost and thought was gone forever. Reaching up she ran her fingers through his hair. She loved the golden highlights and wished more of the kids had inherited it. "Have I told you how much I love your hair?" Robert asked breaking into her thoughts.

Laughing she replied "I was thinking how I wished more of the kids had your hair. I guess great minds think alike," she looked up and brought his face down to hers kissing him repeating "I love you more and more each and every day."


They called the police and while Grace told them what happened. Robert made breakfast for the hungry masses. After breakfast Drew ran up screaming "daddy, daddy guess what?"

"I don't know. What?" Robert grinned at her as he picked her up.

"I love you," she squeezed his neck as she kissed his cheek "when I get older can I marry you?"

"As much as I'd like to say yes I can't" Robert said "my heart belongs to mommy."

Sticking out her lip she pretended to pout. Her face brightened into a huge grin when she said "that's ok daddy you and mommy belong together."


"I'm glad you agree," he said wriggling an eyebrow at her.

"Daddy your so silly," she giggled "I love you."

"I love you too sweetheart," Robert kissed his youngest daughter before setting her down.

"Daddy your coming to my dance recital on Friday right?" she asked looking up at.

"Wouldn't miss it," he said with a grin.

"Yeah I knew you wouldn't miss it but I like hearing you say it." Drew bounced up and down with her boundless energy. She ran off when Jeff ran past on his way outside. She yelled after him "wait for me."


Robert couldn't help but chuckle. His youngest reminded him a lot of how him and Gene had been growing up together. He had spent a lot of time trying to ditch his annoying little brother but somehow Gene had always found a way of tagging along. Drew had the same effect on her older brother coupled with the energy to keep up with him. She never let being younger dictate what she was or was not going to do. Maybe she was spending too much time with her favorite uncle. Gene was rubbing off on her. They had become inseparable since Gene had bought a summer house in Hidden Springs, now the kids were inseparable.

Matthew was in the same summer dance classes as Drew and they made quite the pair. Shaking his head Robert couldn't believe how much Matt was the carbon copy of Gene. Ian on the other had was so much more reserved preferring video games despite the harassment he received from his younger brother.

Finishing the last of the dishes Robert looked up in time to see Jeff stomping into the house. "Dad tell her to leave me alone and to quit following me."


A second or two later Drew came bouncing into the kitchen grinning. Sighing Robert asked "are you bothering your brother?"

Shaking her head Drew laughed "I don't bother people daddy I make their lives more interesting."

"Ugh" Jeff growled "dad make her stop! I want to meet up with Ian without having to drag her along."

Looking at his son Robert shook his head "son you do realize that wherever Ian is Matt is not too far behind. You're going to need Drew to keep Matt occupied."

"Dammit," Jeff said explosively "why can't we ever do anything without them tagging along."


"Jeffrey Bennett," Robert said his stern tone causing Jeff to look down "I don't ever want to hear you using that kind of language..."

Putting a hand over his mouth Jeff groaned "I'm sorry dad. It won't happen again. I promise. It's just that I'm so frustrated with the situation. Isn't there anything you can do to help?"

"Drew, honey why don't you and Matt stick around here today. Leave the older kids alone."

"But dad" she began to pout giving her dad her best puppy dog eyes "please."


"No honey they need some space," Robert stood his ground.

"Ok you win," she grumbled going outside to wait for Matt to show up.

"Thanks dad," Jeff grinned hugging his dad "your the best."

"Don't be getting into any trouble," Robert admonished.

"Dad I'll be with Ian. That kid doesn't know how to get into trouble." Jeff rolled his eyes sometimes his cousin was so boring but he'd rather hang out with him instead of his little sister any day.

***


Deciding to work on his novel Robert made his way to the stairs when Alex and Amanda came in from outside followed by their thirteen year old cousins Stephanie and Jasmine. "Dad" Alex called loudly "can we go to the movies?"

"Who is we?" Robert asked. The last time Alex had asked to go to the movies Robert hadn't asked and he found out later that he had gone with some older kids from school. They had talked him to spray painting the theater's walls. After the call from the police to come and get his son from the station he had been more careful to inquire into what the twins were up to.

Rolling his eyes Alex grumbled "you're never going to trust me again are you?"

"You have to earn trust Alex," Robert told him keeping his voice firm "so far you haven't shown that you can be trusted."


"Whatever," Alex crossed his arms. Jasmine put a hand on his shoulder whispering something in his ear. Alex smiled nodding. Not for the first time Robert wondered if Alex had covered for his cousin that night he had been arrested. She was a handful despite her innocent appearance.

"Uncle Robert," Stephanie smiled up at him "we all want to go to the movies." Stephanie was the quieter twin and was always hanging out with Amanda. Robert hoped she'd be a good influence on his more rebellious daughter.

Amanda nodded "please dad we'll be home by curfew we promise." She stared at her twin brother until he nodded.

"Ok," Robert gave in "be home by curfew."


"We will," Amanda smiled running over and hugging him. "Thanks daddy."

Looking at his daughter Robert missed the days when she wanted to be with him all the time. That all changed once the twins became teenagers and they started to hang out with their friends. Before they left he called out to them "don't get into too much trouble. I really don't want to tell Gene my kids got his arrested."

"Don't worry Uncle Robert I'll keep them on the straight and narrow," Stephanie called over her shoulder. Somehow Robert didn't doubt her. She was the only person the twins listened to. Shaking his head as he walked up the stairs he couldn't believe the twins were already fifteen and begging to learn to drive.

***


Sitting at his computer he pulled up his manuscript he had been in the process of editing. He felt a rush of pride that people were knocking on his door to offer him book and movie deals when just a few years ago he was a nobody begging for someone to give him a chance. This book may just be his best. He just had a few final tweaks to make before it was ready to be submitted. Rereading the passage that was giving him problems he was jolted out of his train of thought by his daughters loud whiny voice as she pleaded with Grace for an extension on her allowance.

It wasn't long before she was stomping up the stairs. "Daddy I absolutely must have a loan. I found the most adorable pair of shoes that match my dress perfectly. There's a matching clutch too that I really need so that I have the complete outfit. Please daddy," she batted her eyes up at him.

"Diana how many time have I told you to budget your money better ..."

"But daddy I absolutely had to have that dress ..."


"There were other dresses that were less expensive and just as pretty. If you had stuck with the budget we worked out for you, you would have had enough for the entire ensemble." Robert shook his head wondering where Diana's taste for the most expensive things had come from.

"Daddy! I have a certain reputation to maintain. After all I can't show up wearing any old thing. What would people think? I can't wear last seasons dress or mismatched accessories." She spoke heatedly about how these things were important to maintain her image. "Besides it's only five hundred dollars..."

"Five hundred dollars," Robert looked at her shocked "the dress alone was over two thousand dollars more than Grace's wedding dress cost..."

"I can't help that mom has deplorable taste," Diana stated rolling her eyes.


Shaking his head Robert said "no absolutely not young lady. It's time you learned the value of a dollar. If you want the matching shoes and clutch get a job and pay for them yourself."

Looking horrified Diana stuttered "get a job, you're joking right? Someone in my position shouldn't have to work."

Growing impatient Robert asked " what is your position? Did you write the books that pays the bills and keeps you in pretty things? Well did you?" She shook her head "no you didn't. I did. Maybe it's my fault for not seeing how conceited and spoiled you've become. But it ends now."

Stomping her foot she shouted "it's not fair. Why should I have to get a job when Jennifer doesn't have to? " She stormed to her room slamming the door behind her yelling "I hate you."

Rubbing the bridge of his nose Robert wondered where he had gone wrong with her. She used to be so sweet if a little too needy. When did that neediness turn into spoiled diva? "It's not your fault you know," Robert looked up to see Jennifer standing in front of him.

"What's not my fault?" he asked. 

She waved a dismissive hand towards her sisters closed bedroom door. "You know the princess. It's not your fault that she thinks she's entitled to having everything handed to her."


"Thanks sweetie but your wrong," Robert shook his head standing up to hug her "How's my girl today?"

"I'm wonderful. Perfect. The skies the limit." Robert watched her hands wildly gesturing to highlight her excitement. Her eyes twinkled with happiness. 

"I take it you got in," Robert said with a smile.

Nodding Jennifer opened her arms wide "Sim University here I come," she said with a grin.


Hugging her again "honey I'm so proud of you," he said swallowing over a lump in his throat that formed over the thought of his little girl leaving home. "I'll miss you."

"I'll miss you too daddy. Your my best friend in the whole world," she hugged him tight "but you always told me to follow my dreams. I'm ready to start the next chapter of my life."

"I know you are honey," Robert squeezed her tight. She had grown into beautiful young woman inside and out.

"Daddy don't be sad," she looked up at him with her deep blue eyes. "I'll come home for the holidays and summers. No matter where I go I'm taking you with me in my heart."

"Same as you'll always be in mine," Robert told her "I love you sweetie."


"Love you too daddy," she kissed his cheek before skipping to her room. Stopping at her door "maybe I can reach the diva and find the sister I lost."

"I'd settle for a reasonable facsimile of the little girl I used to know," Robert said sadly. As she shut the door behind her Robert turned back to his manuscript. He had a sudden break through as to what was missing from the scene. A half an hour later he sent the manuscript to his editor crossing his fingers that he had made all the necessary adjustments.

Yawning Robert looked at the time 9:00 somehow it felt a lot later. Shaking his head he realized he was only four months away from his 40th birthday, where did the time go? A commotion downstairs caught his attention.

***


Grace opened the door only to come face to face with Patricia. She could see the hate in her eyes as she gripped the arms of two frightened kids. "Mommy help," Drew struggled in the woman's grasp.

"Are these your mewling brats?" Patricia demanded ignoring Matt's efforts to kick her.

"Please let them go," Grace pleaded with the wild eyed woman. "I'll do anything. Just don't hurt them."

Smiling Patricia tossed the kids towards Grace "here take them." She snarled with a look of distaste "I hate kids." She looked around the living room screaming "Robert I know you're here. I want to talk to you."

Standing at the top of the stairs Robert recognized the voice of his ex-wife Patricia. His daughter's bedroom doors opened. He motioned for them to stay where they were. Ignoring him Jennifer whispered "that's mom isn't?" Robert nodded as he went to go downstairs stopping when Jennifer grabbed his arm "no daddy please," she pleaded.


Kissing her forehead he whispered "I'll be ok but Grace is down there. I need to go to her."

Diana stepped forward "daddy I...I love you." She rushed to give him a hug crying "I'm scared."

"I know baby," Robert squeezed her hand "it'll be ok."

"I'm calling 911," Jennifer said attempting to put on a brave face despite the fear shooting adrenaline through her. "Be careful daddy."

"I will baby-doll," he said giving her a quick hug before going downstairs. It was worse then he expected. Grace had Drew and Matt clinging to her crying while Patricia stood before them pointing a gun at them. Looking up Patricia shouted "its about fucking time."


"Patrica put the gun down," Robert tried to keep his voice steady not wanting to show fear in front of her.

"Why should I?" she asked waving it around.

"You might hurt someone," he tried to reason with her.

"Like I'd care," she snarled "I quit caring the moment I went with the man. No, sooner than that," she smiled nastily at him "I quit caring the moment I got pregnant the first time."

She was talking loud and Robert knew Jennifer had heard her hateful words. He hoped she would stay upstairs out of harms way. "What do you want?" he asked hoping she'd go away if he gave in to her demands.

"What I want?"she scowled at him "I want to know why you married that purple haired bitch!"

"Take that back," Jeff shouted from the door.

"Another purple haired brat," Patricia smiled "why don't you come in and join your sister little boy."


Jeff stood frozen in the door. They could hear sirens in the distance shattering the silence. "Did you call the cops?" Patricia shouted at Robert.

"No," he stuttered afraid that she would start shooting and with so many targets she was bound to hit someone.

"You did you.." she raised the gun when a voice from the stairs shouted. "He didn't. I did."

Jennifer walked toward her mother "I called them mother. Just like I did thirteen years ago when you left. You left us and daddy bleeding on the ground. I was five years old and I was more of an adult then you ever were. All you thought about was yourself. You selfish old hag."

"How dare you talk to me like that," Patricia screamed "I'm your mother."


"No you're not," pointing towards Grace "she's my mother. She sat with me when I was sick. Held me when I was scared. Hugged me when I was good and stood by me even when I was wrong. She was there for me....you never were," she stepped back grabbed Grace's hand and smiled.

Pointing the gun at Grace, Patricia started to shake "you turned my children against me. My own kids..."

"No you did that yourself," Alex shouted from the kitchen where he stood blocking the door to keep the girls from coming inside.

Movement at the front door had Patricia jerking in that direction. Matt choose that moment to run towards his brother. Patricia whirled around firing the gun. Robert dived for the boy knocking him down. The room filled with shouting authoritative voices demanding Patricia to put the gun down. Robert lay on his side a searing pain in his chest. Grace rushed to him, cradling him in her arms. She screamed as blood gushed from his nose and mouth.


"Ma'am an ambulance is on it's way." Robert heard someone say. He doubted it would be in time. He knew he was drowning in his own blood. He reached up and ran his fingers through Grace's hair for the last time before his hand dropped limp at his side. His sight dimmed growing dark around the edges. "I...love...you," he gurgled gasping for breath.


"No, no please. Robert don't leave me," Grace screamed "you can't go. Please come back. I love you."


Authors note: Due to my game crashing I had to use the pictures I had as I didn't want to delay the chapter any longer. Mainly because I was afraid I'd find a way of changing the ending. The heir vote will be up sometime this weekend.


5 comments:

  1. Did you kill off Rob!? What a cliffhanger into the next gen! I think I know who I'm picking, and yes, it's purely based on looks xD FOr some reason I've been fascinated with the passing down of genes in the sims, idk lol. I am pretty shocked about Diana though, but really proud of Jennifer for stepping up and just being a mature, all around strong individual!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm possibly maybe .... so hard not to answer that .... I wonder who you're pick is. Fingers crossed I'll be able to figure out how to set up the poll. There's a first time for everything. All the kids are such a delightful mix of their parents. I'd like a girl heir this time around but the boys are such cuties too.
      Diana always had it in her now that they have money it just became more pronounced. It's my take on that awful mooch trait. Jennifer was a brave little girl who grew up into a strong woman that is mature beyond her years. Since all the kids were there this event will have lasting effects on them as the story goes. There maybe some side stories, which is why I split up the cousins and Williams younger kids up with the potential heirs otherwise there would be way too many sides.
      Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete
    2. You can use polldaddy, it will close the poll when you set it to and you can restrict voting if you want to! It'll also show you a cool pie chart of the results lol

      Delete
  2. *sniffles* Robert. He was such a good guy. I wonder if he made it. O_O Drowning in his own blood doesn't sound promising. Haha. I'm surprised Patricia shot Robert, but I guess she was aiming for Alex and Robert jumped in front. I thought for sure she was going to shoot Grace, LOL. You surprised me, I like that. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor Robert I cried writing this chapter...I really tried to avoid this ending but it had to be done for the next gen story wise. TBH it was supposed to have happened when Patricia left but it didn't feel right. Then I brought Grace in because he deserved some happiness before the end. Patricia really wasn't aiming for anyone in particular. Matt startled her when he ran for his brother. She just shot in the direction of who was moving. Rob got in the way when he pushed Matt down. I'm glad I was able to surprise you better than being predictable. LOL
      Thank you for reading and commenting!

      Delete