Saturday, May 9, 2015

Generation 2, Chapter 40



Once the kids were loaded on the bus and on their way to school Grace indulged in a loud sigh disturbing the silence of the room. Jeffie looked up "what wrong mama?"

Laughing Grace stooped to pick up her baby boy "nothing Jeffie." She tickled his sensitive belly causing him to squeal in delight.


"Mama stop," he yelled in his high pitched voice. "Mama it hurts. Stop," he giggled.

"Laughing hurts?" Grace paused her tickling torture.

"Yeah," Jeffie confirmed in his cute little baby voice as he snuggled into her "belly hurts."

"Ok no more tickles," Grace assured him kissing his cheeks. Setting him down in his playpen Grace went upstairs to see what Robert was up to. 


Smiling as she reached the top of the stairs finding him typing away on the computer. Kissing the top of his head "how's the book coming along?"

Pausing Rob looked up at her smiling "almost finished." He hit the save button before getting up to stretch. Pulling Grace close to him "I think it's the best book I've written so far." Gazing at her as he played with her purple hair he asked "is there something on your mind?"

Nodding she looked down biting her lip "it's the wedding I was...I was...." she stopped sighing.

"What about the wedding?" Robert asked tilting her chin up.

"Would you be terribly disappointed if it's not as small as we discussed?" she sucked in her bottom lip waiting for his answer.


"Honey if you want a large wedding we'll have a large wedding. I want you to be happy."

She smiled up at him, "You're too good to me. I always wanted a fancy church wedding"

"Book it," Robert told her.

"Are you sure?" she hesitated "it's your wedding too. You wanted a small wedding at the house. Are you sure you're ok with me changing it at the last minute?"


"Positive," Robert hugged her tight "I'm happy if you have the wedding of your dreams." He was rewarded with a brilliant smile that brightened her whole face.

"I agree with Jennifer. You are the bestest," she squeezed him tight as she went to organize and book the church she wanted.

Shaking his head Robert sat down at the computer hoping to finish another chapter or two before going to work. Distracted despite his best efforts he couldn't focus on his writing. Saving his work he browsed the Internet hoping to find inspiration for the vows he was writing for the wedding.


As he browsed he ran across an article about some drug overlords son getting married. He sat stunned as Patricia's beaming face looked out at him from the computer screen. After all these years he hadn't expected to ever see her again. He had hoped she was still alive somewhere but she looked so happy. According to the article the wedding took place just a couple months after she left them. She had married a man knowing she was still married to him. If felt surreal. It had taken Robert months to finalize the divorce after proving she had abandoned them. He should have been happy she wasn't locked away miserable or dead but all he felt was anger. It only confirmed that she hadn't really loved him the way he had loved her and it hurt more than he thought it would.

A light touch on his shoulder had him jumping "I'm sorry." Grace said from behind him "is that her? Your ex-wife?"

Nodding he blinked back tears as anger was replaced with sadness "yeah that's her."

Catching the note of sadness in his voice Grace wrapped her arms around him. "It's hard isn't? Seeing her like that in the arms of someone else."

Looking up at her Robert sighed "not really" he admitted. "It's a shock. All this time I thought she was being tortured or dead. I didn't think she'd be remarried so soon after she left us. The divorce wasn't even final." The anger was creeping into his voice as he fought for control.


Kissing his forehead Grace slipped into his arms sitting on his lap. "Rob she choose the life she has. I'm sorry that wasn't with you. She has no idea what she gave up."

Sighing Robert looked away overcome with self-doubt and feelings of worthlessness. "What do I have to offer? I'm almost thirty years old and I have nothing to offer you but five kids and dreams of being an author."

"Don't talk like that," Grace took his face in her hands "I love you" she kissed his lips.

"Why do you love me? I'm just a broken man with nothing..."

"You have everything I want," she stroked his much loved face wishing she could take the hurt, defeated look from his eyes. "Your a wonderful father. A kind and considerate person to everyone you meet. You bend over backwards to help your family. You build up what others have torn down. Your children adore you. Despite everything they have flourished. Patricia is the one who lost in this deal. I don't care how much money she has or the fear and contempt that man generates. None of that compares with the gem she threw away. You my sweet, lovable man are a treasure and I'm not giving you up."

Blinking back tears Robert smiled up at her "darling you are my shining light in the dark. Thank you."


Grace smiled "I have a brilliant idea lets get married in France. Just us and the kids."

"What about the large fancy church wedding?" Robert asked laughing.

"I changed my mind," she beamed at him "I just want to get married."

Shaking his head he wondered how many more things Grace was going to change her mind on before the wedding finally arrived. "If that's what you want I'm all for it. If I book the tickets theirs no going back and changing your mind. Do you still want a destination wedding?"

Nodding she kissed him again to seal the deal "buy the tickets."

Smiling she and Robert made the final arrangements for their wedding in France. They decided that Jeffrey was too young for the trip and made arrangements with Casey to watch him until they got back.


When the kids got home from school Grace gathered them together to announce the wedding plans. "Your father and I have decided on a destination wedding..."

"On the beach at sunset," Diana cut in excitedly "it'd be so beautiful."

"Let her finish," Jennifer scolded "besides I don't think that's where the wedding is going to be."


Alex and Amanda looked at each other saying "at the park with the new roller coaster. I know you said we were too little to ride but you'll have to make an exception on your wedding day." Alex said while Amanda nodded in agreement.

Laughing "no we're not getting married in Rolling Heights either." Looking at Jennifer "don't you want to make a guess?"

Shrugging "France," she said.

"We have a winner," Grace said hugging the girl.


"Really you're getting married in France?" Jennifer asked excitedly "I've always wanted to go..." She lost her happy smile as she added "but we're not going with you are we?" Jennifer sat down glumly.

"How could I get married without my maid of honor?" Grace asked her.

Looking up excitement shining in her eyes "you mean we're going that I'm your...you really want me...I'm your maid of honor?"

"Yes you are" Grace said as Jennifer threw herself into her arms.


"Your the best" Jennifer said "I love you."

"Why does she get to be your maid of honor?" Diana pouted. "I'm the one who supported you marrying dad all along."

"I know and that's why your my brides maid" Grace told her holding her hand out to her.

Squealing Diana took her hand and squeezed tight "I love you. I'm glad your going to be our mom now."


"So are we," Amanda said softly looking down at the floor.

Lifting the girls chin up Grace said "thank you sweetheart. Would you like to be my flower girl?"

Nodding her head Amanda rushed into Grace's arms.

"That makes me the best man," Alex said confidently.


"It certainly does," Grace told him.

"What about Jeffie?" Alex asked not wanting his brother to be left out.

"If we were getting married here he'd be the ring bearer but he's too little to go to France," Grace explained. "We'll have a few pictures done here at the house then Jeffie will spend time with Uncle Casey while we're in France."

"Will we get to go anywhere while we're there?" Diana asked.


"Of course it's our honeymoon after all," Grace replied.

"You're not supposed to take your kids on your honeymoon," Diana protested.

"What do you suggest they do?" Jennifer demanded "send us home or lock us in the hotel room by ourselves? You really are dumb."

"Jennifer Willow Bennett that's enough," Grace said sternly catching the girls attention.

"I'm sorry," she mumbled.


Diana stuck her tongue out "she likes me more."

"That's enough" Grace spoke firmly catching Diana in the act. "That was unnecessary and not true. I love all of you the same."

Looking down Diana said "I'm sorry."

"Good" Grace smiled at the girl. "While we're there we'll do something everyone likes. So what I want you to do is think of something you want to do or see."

"I want to go to the museum," Diana chimed in.

"Treasure hunting in a tomb would be so cool," Jennifer said "It'd be like Lara Croft Tomb Raider."


"Cool," Alex agreed while Diana and Amanda rolled their eyes. "Can we go to a winery? In France it's ok for kids to drink."

"Mandy what would you like to do?" Grace asked drawing the girl out.


"Someplace pretty like a garden or park," Amanda said.

"Ok we'll see what we can find," Grace told the girl.

Honeymoon vacation pictures
Day One

Arriving in France they checked out one of the local tombs for a little adventure in the hopes of finding some treasure.


"Look what I found," Jennifer pointed towards the bar of silver. Running over to it she picked it up and put it inside her backpack.


"Good job," Robert told her "Looks like I'm going to have to do some rubble removal if we want to go any further inside this tomb." He had no problem removing the rocks while everyone else stood around watching him.





"Eew Alex that's so gross" Amanda complained "did you have to fart in my face?" She scrunched up her face up in disgust "I already didn't want to be down here now it smells like an outhouse."


"Sorry," Alex mumbled following his dad into the next room of the tomb. "Gold! Look at all that gold and it's all mine." 


"That's nothing" Amanda told him "I found a whole bag full of gold coins."

"Hey I did all the work of removing the rocks," Robert said shrugging as he let his little girl take credit for his find.


"Rob do you know what this does if I stand on this?" Grace asked stomping on what she thinks is a trigger to open the door into the next room.


"Hmm it revealed this hole in the wall. Maybe there's a switch inside to unlock the door," he stuck his hand inside to investigate.


"Dad someone died in here." Diana called out staring at the skeleton before taking the gemstone lying next to it. "He won't miss it I hope."


"How much longer do we have to stay down here?" Amanda complained while sitting on an old dusty chair watching everyone look for treasure.


Screaming Robert pulled his arm out of the hole he had stuck into. Staring as hundreds of insects crawled all over it. "I'm never doing that again," Robert swore under his breath shaking the disgusting creepy crawlies off.


"Jack pot," Robert said while staring into a treasure chest full of goodies.

Day Two

The next day they spent at the museum.  


"This is so beautiful," Diana said staring at something she couldn't identify.


"Dad can we go now?" Alex asked "my stomach hurts."


Staring intently at the sculpture "Dad do you think I can slip underneath the rope to see what that thing is?" 

"I'll do it" Jennifer volunteered slipping under the rope and walking nonchalantly towards the statue that her sister was intently staring at.


"Dad I'm bored can we leave?" Amanda whined.

"We just got here," Robert said "Give it a chance I'm sure we'll find something you like in here."

"I doubt it." she mumbled.


"Jennifer get out of there," Grace demanded as she watched Jennifer walking on the other side of the ropes inspecting the statues a little too close.

"What's the big deal?" Jennifer muttered "if they didn't want me back here they should have put up something other than a stupid rope. I'm being careful."


"Guys we have to leave now," Grace announced.

Her announcement was greeted by cheers from Alex and Amanda who had been wanting to leave since they got there.

"But why? We just got here," Diana complained.

"Well the curator asked us to since Jennifer refuses to stay behind the ropes.

Day Three

On their third day in France they went to the local winery.

"Can we have a drink?" Alex asked his voice laced with excitement at the thought of tasting wine.

"No absolutely not," Robert told him.

"But dad...." Alex began but stopped at the look his dad gave him.


While the kids entertained themselves Robert signed up to learn wine making and Grace decide to do some wine tasting.


'Why is that guy staring at me?" Grace wondered as she poured wine. Looking down at herself she realized she was still in her nightie. 'How did she manage to forget to get dressed?' and 'why didn't someone tell her before they left the hotel?'


Grace didn't have to worry, she wasn't the only who forgot to get dressed. Robert realized his mistake while harvesting grapes and made a mad dash for the bushes.


Since she couldn't do anything about it Grace decided to pretend she was fully clothed and sat down to enjoy her wine.  She thought she was getting away with it until some blond lady came up to her saying "don't you think you've had enough? Look at yourself running around in your nightie. I can barely look at you I'm so ashamed."

"Well I guess that's your problem lady." Grace mumbled into her glass.





'This isn't so bad' Robert thought as he smooshed the grapes.  Squish, squish, squish 'Ugh how much longer do I have to do this?' Robert wondered 'this is getting disgusting. Not to mention the scary blond lady staring at me like she wants to eat me.'


Before finishing the wine Robert made a quick dash back to the hotel to grab his clothes. Upon his arrival back at the winery the same lady was waiting for him staring intently as he made adjustments to the machine.

Day Four

They found a little camping spot to hold their private wedding with the kids. They took turns changing in the tent.



Crying hysterically as she emerged from the tent Robert ran up to her. "Honey what's wrong?"

"My wedding dress isn't here," Grace cried "there's only this dress I'd thought I'd wear for a romantic dinner. I can't get married in this."

"Of course you can." Robert told her his eyes flashing with amusement. "You're beautiful in anything you were. Besides the officiator is in shorts."




It was a short ceremony and the couple was unaware of their surroundings or the kids squabbling in the background. All that mattered was that they were married and it was perfect ... for them.


The lady stayed for a while taking pictures. It was getting late and a little chilly so Robert made a fire for everyone to enjoy. He was trying to ignore the lady and the constant pictures. It was beginning to get on his nerves and somewhere in his brain he wondered how his brother handled all the attention.


Turning from Grace he stared intently at the camera. 'I wonder if I could get away with taking that camera from her. I really want to shove it down her throat. What's the deal? It's not like I'm famous or anything.'


"Honey what's wrong?" Grace asked

Turning to look at his lovey bride he smiled "nothings wrong. I'm the luckiest man alive."




"Do you really feel that way?" Grace asked 

"Of course. I love you and I never want to lose." Robert said pulling her close.

Before their lips met Grace murmured "I love you too."

***


A month after returning home from France Robert checked the mail to find a letter from his publisher. With shaking hands he tore the envelope open. Reading the letter with disbelieving eyes he ran inside the house "Grace...Grace" he called.

"I'm in Jeff's room," she called out to him.

Bursting into the room Robert lifted her into the air. Swinging her around "you'll never believe it. My book is a bestseller. I finally did it," he cried hugging her close.

Laughing sharing in his happiness Grace ignored her sudden light headedness. Brushing it off she said "congratulations. I knew you could do it."


Setting her down Robert kissed her "they're even talking movie rights. Do you know what that means?"

"That we'll need body guards to protect us from the paparazzi?" she half joked.

"I suppose maybe" Robert thought a moment "Maybe this isn't such a good thing after all."

Stroking his face "it is. We'll cope with the media later. What happened to Gene doesn't necessarily mean it will happen to us."


"I know but it's another concern," Robert visibly lost some of his joy over his news. "You're right though I shouldn't ask for trouble. I'll have a wall built around the house to keep the paparazzi at bay. I've noticed they've gotten a lot worse lately. Now I know why."

"It could just be because of your relation to Gene," Grace said.

"That and the fact that whatever happens to my family is somehow newsworthy. I've grown up with a certain amount of paparazzi attention because of who my dad is." Kissing her nose he continued "to be on the safe side I'm going to call a contractor to build a gate. With this book and movie deal the media hounds are going to get a lot worse."

"If you think it's necessary," Grace sighed with relief. It would be good to have to not worry about seeing someone standing at a window taking pictures. Now that Robert was becoming a well known author things were going to get a lot worse.


Following Robert into the kitchen she sat down to eat a slice of watermelon. "hmm that looks good," Robert said behind her.

"Help yourself. There's plenty in the fridge" Grace told him taking a bite of her watermelon.

"Did you buy every watermelon in the store?" Robert asked as he emerged with a slice.

"No it was on sale," she replied adding "besides I've been craving it for days. It's so good."

"The last time you had cravings like this you were ..." he stopped and stared at her "you're not are you?


"Am I what?" she asked absently licking her fingers.

"You know pregnant," Robert said.

Thinking back she wondered when was the last time ... last month? No it was before they went to France. Smiling she put a hand to her stomach mumbling "I might be ..." Looking up at him "is that a good thing?"

"It is," Robert went over to her and held her hands. "I always knew I'd have a large family."


Author's note: I was going to do a lot more posed wedding pictures but after I took this one the game decided it was time to put her into maternity clothes. 




4 comments:

  1. Cute chapter. It was really comical and light hearted. It was really funny that the family got kicked out of the museum because Jennifer wouldn't stay behind the rope xD I like that we're getting to see more of the children, I may be changing my favorite child, I don't know Alex really got me at the "Kids can drink in France" comment lmfao. I think I'll still vote for a girl though, hmm.... Anyway, good chapter! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun writing something happy and lighthearted. All my other stories are so full of drama right now. Can't promise the no drama will last for Robert either. Someone from the past is about to make an appearance and change their lives forever. I finally got a glimpse into Alex and Amanda's personalities in this chapter.
      Right now there are three I really like for heir but I'm hoping for a girl this time around. I might have to do some side stories for this generation too and bring in a few of the cousins and younger siblings of Robs that are still at home.
      Thanks for reading a commenting.

      Delete
  2. Ahh that's so nice they got married in France. It looks like they had a good time even though they didn't really get to have alone time per se.
    Oh Jennifer... getting them kicked out of the museum. LOL. She likes Tomb Raider too? Haha, I like her even more. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They had enough alone time to come back with a little souvenir ;)
      Jennifer is quite the character and she's not afraid to break the rules. Tomb Raider is her favorite game. How could she pass up an opportunity to experience it herself? I have to admit she's my favorite so far.
      Thank you for reading and commenting!

      Delete