Monday, May 4, 2015

Generation 2, Chapter 39



Jennifer watched Grace play with her baby brother. She loved Jeffie but she didn't like the idea of her dad getting married again. Wasn't once enough? What if Grace decided to leave them? She didn't want her dad to raise even more kids by himself.

Grace looked up and smiled in Jennifer's direction "would you like to hold him?"

Moving to sit  on the other couch Jennifer took Jeffrey into her lap. Laughing as he pulled her hair "Grace do you love my dad?"

Turning to look at the little girl beside her Grace nodded "I do, why?"


Shrugging Jennifer squeezed her little brother "I don't want my dad hurt again. After mom left he was so sad. I didn't understand what happened. She left with the bad man leaving daddy hurt and bleeding on the ground."

"Oh honey that must have been terrible," Grace said putting an arm around the girl.

Nodding "it was but I'm glad I was there. I was able to call for help. Everyone told me I was really brave but all I felt was scared. I kept thinking daddy was going to die." She turned tearful eyes towards Grace "I don't ever want to experience that again. I don't want daddy to either. He's the bestest daddy in the whole wide world."

"I think he's pretty great too," Grace told her "are you worried I will hurt your dad?"


Jennifer thought for a moment before nodding. "I know daddy likes you. I've never seen him so happy not even when mom was still here."

"Yet your still unsure about me," Grace said quietly.

"Yes. I know daddy wants me to like you," she bit her lip refusing to give in to the urge to tell Grace that she did like her.

"He wants you to be happy," Grace told her taking Jeffrey from her as he began to fuss.

"I am happy with the way things are," she cried jumping from the couch. "Why do things have to change?"


Before Grace could respond Jennifer ran from the room. Breathing hard Jennifer wiped tears from her eyes.

Diana ran up to Jennifer "why don't you like Grace? she demanded.

Shrugging Jennifer replied "she's ok I guess." She walked away knowing that her sister would follow.


Running to catch up Diana tugged on her arm. "Grace is wonderful and really pretty. Don't you just love her hair? I think daddy really likes her. Wouldn't it be great if they got married? Don't you think Grace would make a great mom?"

Jennifer whipped around pushing Diana to the ground. "Take that back about daddy. Daddy can't marry that...that...that whatever she is. She's not nice or pretty. I hate her." Jennifer whirled around and ran. Daddy couldn't marry her. He just couldn't. Daddy didn't need anyone but her. She'd take care of him. Make him happy. He didn't need anyone else.


Diana burst into tears as she watched Jennifer run away. She's so mean she thought as she wiped tears away. Why was she so upset about daddy marrying Grace? Was it so bad? Why was Jennifer so selfish? Diana went and sat in the sand box attempting to recreate her favorite castle. Knocking it over in frustration as it refused to match her vision she stood up kicking the remnants into obliteration.

She heard the kitchen door open behind her before she heard daddy call her name. She stood immobile until he pulled her close "what's wrong honey?" His soothing voice broke through to her as she burst into tears "daddy Jennifer's so mean."

"What happened?"

"She...she pushed me down when I said you liked Grace," she tilted her head up to look at him "you do don't you? I could tell when you were dancing with her at Uncle Gene's wedding. You were so handsome and Grace was so pretty. Just like a prince and princess."


She felt her father sigh as he stroked her hair. Hugging her tight "sweetie do you know where she ran off to?"

"I don't know," she shrugged "why doesn't she like Grace? I think Grace is awesome and I want her to be my mom."

"I don't know baby" Robert wiped her tears away. "Why don't you go inside and help Grace watch the little kids while I go look for your sister."

"Ok daddy," she moved to the door stopping she turned around "love you daddy."

"Love you too sweetheart," Robert waved at her smiling but she could see that sadness in his eyes.


Once Diana had gone inside Robert let his smile fall into a frown as he looked across at the park. Walking across the road Robert wondered what he was going to do. He disliked the idea of marrying someone his daughter was so opposed to. What else could he do? He and Grace had a son together, granted they should have considered this possibility before he was conceived. He just wanted his family together. There had to be a way to win Jennifer over.


He found her sitting alone on a bench staring gloomily into space. Sitting beside her he said "Diana told me you pushed her..."

"That little tattle tale" Jennifer mumbled "am I in trouble?"

"That depends upon why you did it." He looked at his daughter waiting for a response. 

Shrugging "I don't know."


"I think you do," Robert told her "try again."

Frowning Jennifer stared straight ahead "I...she...she said you were going to marry Grace..."

"And that made you mad enough to push your sister down," Robert looked across the park enjoying the solitude while his heart dropped into his stomach. "Why? Don't you like Grace?"

Groaning Jennifer looked at her hands "everything is changing...you...the baby...now Grace. I don't like it. Why can't things stay the same?"


"Honey life is about change. Sometimes it may feel like the changes come to quick and you have to run to keep up but that's how it is."

"But you won't need me anymore if you marry Grace," she cried.

"I will always need you. I need all my kids. I love each and everyone of you. But one day you're all going to grow up and have your own families...."
 
"Not me I'm always going to take care of you," Jennifer protested.


"Honey I'm supposed to take care of you. I'm glad you were there that night when I needed you. But it's time for you to be a kid and let me take care of you," Robert pulled her close.

"I don't need a mother," Jennifer snuggled into her dad "I have you. That's enough."

"That's sweet honey but your brothers and sisters need a mother and a father. Don't you think Grace does a good job of taking care of them?" Robert asked trying to draw her out.

"Yes she's lots better then mom ever was but..." she hesitated looking away.


"But what?" Robert asked turning her head towards him "tell me what you're thinking. I want to know."

Looking into her dad's eyes she asked "does she make you happy?"

Smiling "yes she does. I want her in my life forever."

Looking deep into his eyes she asked "does she love you?"

"I believe she does," Robert told her without thinking or doubting.


Smiling Jennifer jumped up grabbing Robert's hand "come one let's go home."

Laughing Robert asked "what's the hurry?"

"We have to go home," she tugged on his arm "come on let's go."

"Not until you tell me what the urgency is?"


"You have to ask Grace to marry us," she told him urging him to move faster.

"Why the sudden change of heart?" he asked allowing her to tug him along.

"You said she made you happy. She loves you." Jennifer stopped to consider her words "that's good enough for me. I like her I just wasn't sure how she felt about you or you about her."


Bursting into the living room Jennifer ran up to Grace "will you marry us?"

"Um honey I think that's my line," Robert smiled down at her enjoying her excitement.

"Oh sorry," she turned back to Grace "will you please. My brothers and sisters need a mom. I might one day too. So please marry my dad."

Looking down at Jennifer then up at Robert "how can I say no? Yes I'll marry your dad."

"Yay" Diana cheered bouncing up and down hugging everyone in sight.


"Can we call you mom now?" Alex asked giving Grace a hug.

"Only if you want to," Grace told him.

"We want to," Alex and Amanda said together.

"I can't wait to tell all my friends," Diana said excitedly "Then we can go dress shopping. You're going to be the most beautiful bride." Diana chattered on about the wedding, dresses and hair styles until Robert announced "it's time for bed."

"But dad do we have to?" Diana complained.

"Yes. There's school tomorrow." Robert told her "bed now."

The children all got up and scattered to their rooms. Once things quieted down and Robert checked on them to see they were all tucked in for the night he joined Grace in the bedroom. "You didn't tell Jennifer we were already engaged did you?" Grace asked snuggling into him.


"I didn't have the chance. Besides she was so excited I didn't want to spoil it." Robert admitted running his hands thru her hair.

"She's a force to be reckoned with," Grace laughed "besides her proposal was so adorable and loved it."

"In a lot of ways she reminds of my older sister except ten times nicer," Robert said kissing her nose.

"I wish I could have met your sister," she said wistfully.


"Take my word for it, she was a pain. She spent most of her life wishing she was an only child and she let everyone know how much she disliked sharing her house with us," Robert half joked.

"Yet she put her life on the line for you and your brother," Grace said quietly "She must have loved you deep down where it counts."

"Yes she did if she hadn't I might not be here or Casey. I am grateful but that still doesn't change the person she was or the fact that Jennifer seems to have inherited some of that spark." Laughing "it'll make the teen years a blast."

"It just might but it's nothing we can't handle together," Grace reached over to turn off the light. "Goodnight sweetheart love you."




4 comments:

  1. "Will you marry us?" Aww, that was adorable. I really like these two. I want to vote for Jennifer, but Jeffrey has the purple hair! :O Choices lol It's really cute how defensive Diana got. Poor Jen, her heart was in the right place. I hope everything works out for the lovely new couple ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IKR Jen's either all in or all out. Once she was convinced that her dad and Grace really loved each other she was all on board with it. Diana just wants a mom and in her opinion Jen was the one preventing it from happening. Poor girl is a bit on the needy side but she's super sweet. I just don't have a feel for Amanda and Alex, they're just sort of just there. Jeff is adorable with the purple hair. We'll see how things work out, we have just a few more chapters to go before the finale.

      Delete
  2. LOL Jennifer... she could have asked Grace point blank if she liked Robert, haha, but yeah, running away also seemed like something she'd do. She's so funny. The little purple haired boy is awesome. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She could have LOL but she would have wondered if Grace was just telling her what she wanted to hear. It was better hearing it coming from her dad. If her dad believed it then it must be true. It freed her into accepting Grace and once she was on board she was ready for the next step. She's either all in or all out. He's so cute isn't he? I couldn't help it...I had to see how their genetics mixed.
      Thank you for reading and commenting!

      Delete