Monday, September 15, 2014

Generation 2, Chapter 14 - Part 2


"William we need to talk about this," Jessica said behind him.

"Can't you just leave me alone," William said echoing his sons words. "I can't stand the sight of you, led alone talk to you right now."

"William please, I need you," she cried grabbing his arm before he could walk away.



"You need me? That's laugh," he whirled around facing her. The anger emanating from him causing her to step back releasing her grip. "How long Jessica? How long have you been seeing other men?"

Crossing her arms in front of her, she lifted her eyes towards him, glistening with unshed tears. William looked at her without the least bit of sympathy. Breathing heavily through his nose he sat abruptly on the couch, all strength draining from his legs. Her silence was deafening in a sea of emotion. Clearing his throat he asked "Are you going to answer me? or has it been so long you can't remember?"



Moving stiffly to a chair beside him, she sat staring mutely a head of her.

"At least tell me this, is he mine?"

"Is who yours?" pretending ignorance.

"Am I Paul's father?" William asked again pronouncing each word distinctly. Inwardly he didn't care, he loved Paul as much as he loved all the others. But Paul didn't resemble anyone in the family with his black hair and deep blue eyes.

"Of course he is, don't be silly."


Laughing harshly William swore under his breath, looking at her he demanded "Don't lie to me! I'm not blind nor am I stupid. He doesn't look like anyone in the family."

"Neither does Casey. You never doubted he was yours. Why this one? Why Paul?"


"Casey looks just like me with blond hair. Besides I never had a reason to doubt the paternity of my children before."

"And you still don't," she said crossing her arms.

William recognized her sullen expression but refused to be patronized. "Who are you trying to kid? Gene exposed your dirty little secret."


"So you are taking his word over mine," Jessica shouted unable to restrain herself. "He's nothing but a druggie and a drunk. He probably just hallucinated seeing me. I told you he can't be trusted. Look what he's doing to us. He's driving a wedge between us, using your feelings for him to tear us apart." Watching William staring into space, seeming to not notice what she was saying she continued "William open your eyes and see him for the evil little shit he is and kick him out before he tears this family apart."


Dragging his eyes towards her, he noticed the lines the years had etched into her face. He remembered a time when looking into her eyes would melt his insides, now all he felt was nothing, just a cold, hard lump in the pit of his stomach. He couldn't deny she made a certain amount of sense and it might even be logical. Except for the fact that Gene had no idea he was in the room when he let his little bomb off. The shock on his face when he realized he heard him, lent a certain amount of credibility to his accusation.

"What do I have to do to convince you?" Jessica asked throwing her hands in the air.


"How about telling me the truth for a change? Stop lying and deflecting everything back on Gene. He needs help I know that but it doesn't help blaming him for our problems. He's already lost his mother, I'll be damned if he loses his father too."

"What about your other children? Don't they matter? What about your unborn child?" She stood their rubbing her stomach in a way that William recognized over the years. Why hadn't he noticed it before? She was pregnant again and he couldn't help the shudder that went through him as he wondered if this one was his. "What the hell Jessica. You were supposed to be on the pill."


"I lied," she shrugged. "What's the difference, a new baby fixed our marriage once before. It'll do it again."

"Babies don't fix marriages. What's wrong with you?" he asked incredulously.

"What's wrong with me?" she asked eyes round in disbelief. "You were so happy when I told you about Michael but you hardly cracked a smile when I told you about Paul and now this one. You almost sound angry."

"Angry doesn't even begin to describe how I feel."





"Well if you have a such a problem with having more kids then maybe you should do something about it."

"Don't you think I've tried?" he shouted at her. "I've had three failed vasectomies . Something with the alien modifications prevent them from taking."

"So we're back to the aliens. I'm so sick of hearing about the aliens."


"So am I. But right now with how I feel, I'd go outside and flag down an alien ship and beg them to take me the hell away from you." Getting up, William stomped out the door.

*****************************************************************************************************************************

At a loss as to how to reassure his siblings, Robert decided to distract them by planning a party for Casey's eighteenth birthday. As the day of the party approached, their Dad had become less sullen and withdrawn. Where their mother kept to herself, locked in her room. They were pretty sure she was alive as she always took the food Evelyn left for her.


"If it weren't for you, they wouldn't be fighting," Casey accused Gene the day of the party.

"They'd be fighting regardless," Gene said refusing to apologize for the things he had said.

"No they wouldn't," Casey insisted "They began fighting when you had your mental breakdown and it's only gotten worse the more you antagonize mom."


"It's not my fault," Gene insisted walking away. Slamming his bedroom door shut.  Gene sat on his bed with his head buried in his hands. He couldn't stop the shaking, he needed a drink or he'd go insane.


He went to where he hid his stash and found nothing but empty bottles. Throwing one in a fit of rage, he vaguely heard it shatter on the far wall.


A moment later Robert came running into the room breathlessly asking "Are you alright?"



"I'm fine," Gene grumbled balling his hands into fists, wanting to hit something.

Eyeing his brother, Robert cautiously closed the door. "You're not fine."




"Just leave me alone," Gene screamed at him. "You're just like the rest of them. Blaming me for everything." Gene paced the floor like a cage lion.

Slowly Robert approached him, hands up and open, afraid Gene might think he would trap him. "Tell me about it. Let me help you."


"You want to help me?" Gene asked pausing to consider it. "Then get me a bottle, I need a drink."

"You don't need a drink."

"How do you know what I need?" Gene yelled enraged. "You abandoned me when I needed you the most."



"What are ...." Robert began but was interrupted by the punch Gene directed at his face. Momentarily stunned, Robert fell back, blood dripping from his nose.



Before he realized what was happening, Gene charged, arms and hands flailing as they blindly struck anything they could reach. Slowly Gene's rage subsided and he lay their sobbing. Robert held him as his body shook.


Robert held his brother as he sobbed into his shoulder. His body ached where Gene had used it as a punching bag. His side hurt like he had some broken ribs but nothing too serious. Through the wracking sobs he heard Gene mutter one word "Why?"


"Why what?" Robert asked confused.

Sniffling Gene gulped for air. "Why does she hate me?"

"You mean mom?" Robert asked. Gene nodded trying to stifle his sobs.


"I don't know. She doesn't exactly like me either." He received a short snort from Gene. "I do know that all this drinking isn't good for you. After all you just beat up your favorite brother over a drink." Robert said making light of the situation.


Sitting up, Gene scrutinized Robert's face, noting the puffy eye that he was sure would turn black and the drying blood from his nose and busted lip. "Did I do all that?" he wondered aloud. Nodding his head, Robert winced in pain. "I'm sorry. I guess I was out of my head."

"I guess you were," Robert agreed. "Gene you know Dad and I love you, right?"

 
"Yeah," he said warily.

"Then you know we want what's best for you right?"

"I guess," Gene eyed him growing suspicious. "What are you driving at?"

"Don't you think it's time you got some help? What if it had been one of the girls or Michael who walked in instead of me? Do you really want to prove mom right?"




"Oh god! I'm such a mess." Gene said crumpling to the floor, head on
his knees. He looked up at Robert with contrite eyes sighing "I really am sorry."

"I know," Robert said quietly sitting down beside him.

"I didn't hurt you did I?" Gene asked eyeing Robert in concern noting how stiffly he moved when he sat down.

"I think I might have some busted ribs, other than that I'm fine," he shrugged.


 


"You should see a doctor," Gene said flatly.

"Ow! don't make me laugh," Robert said holding his side. "First you beat me up then you want to get me checked out by a doctor."

"Well you should," Gene said becoming irritated as Robert continued to laugh at him "and it's not funny."

"It is, you just don't know it," wincing as his sides ached as he continued to laugh.

Looking thoughtfully at this older brother, he wondered why Robert didn't look at him like he was a dangerous criminal. Most of the time he felt like no one in the family wanted him around, except his Dad and brother. "Why are you and Dad so different from everyone else?"


"Cuz we're special," he said. "Seriously though we know you're better than this and one day you're going to see it too."

Deep in thought, considering what Robert just told him, was he really better than this? Why did they have so much faith in him, when he had none in himself? When had he stopped believing in himself He felt Robert nudge him in the side asking "You ok?"

"Yeah, just thinking."

They heard the front door open and several people laughing and talking at once. Turning to his brother, Robert said "Sounds like the party's starting." Holding out his hand "here help me up."


Gene took his out stretched hand "I should take you to the hospital."

"After the party," Robert insisted "then you can take me." At the look of concern Gene gave him, Rob smiled. "Don't worry I'm ok. I don't want Casey getting upset with you, at least not on his birthday"

"Who are you trying to kid? All he has to do is look at your face to know what I did."




"Do I look that bad?" Robert wondered looking at himself in the mirror. "Well that doesn't make me look very tough does it?" he said turning to Gene.

Shaking his head Gene agreed "more like a hurt deer. Think I'll call you Bambi."


"Don't you dare" Robert said laughing putting his arm around Gene's shoulders. They walked out of the room together.

 

Authors note:  I realized the chapter was getting too long and decided to split the 2nd part.  So yes there is a 3rd part.  Sorry I really wanted all of this in one chapter however I thought it best to split it up so that it wasn't one massively long chapter.  Hopefully the next part will be out later this week.


4 comments:

  1. Gotta love the bromance between Gene and Robert! I'm glad Robert is really acting like an older brother and taking charge. I mean, how many people wouldn't get mad at their little brother for beating them up? William needs to take Gene, Evelyn and Robert and leave that house. Somehow I think Casey will want to stay with his mother, and I have no idea about the other children (including this new one yikes!) but maybe William has to "tear the family apart" in a way to get them to all respond.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robert has grown into a caring older brother and he puts himself out to help his family. It might eventually put a strain on his relationship with Patricia though but we'll have to wait and see. You're right he should have been upset with Gene for beating him up but he didn't hit back just let Gene hit him until his anger drained away. He knew Gene didn't really want to hurt him but he did have a good point. What would Gene have done if it had been one of his sisters or Michael who was there instead of him? That thought will haunt Gene and will hopefully motivate him to change.

      Casey hasn't really had to deal with the dark side of his mother's personality so he doesn't understand why Gene has a problem with her. Casey somewhat shares the same view as Jessica that Gene is just a drunk and druggie and doesn't know what he's talking about. Would he choose to live with his mom instead of his dad? Maybe but he doesn't feel like he has to choose since he's going to college soon.

      Evelyn and Robert are only home for the summer and will be going back to college. So William's decision wouldn't effect them too much. He's more concerned about how it will affect Michael and the babies (even if they're not his). But something might happen before he's able to make that decision.

      Delete
  2. LOL that's awesome, Robert and Gene fighting, and then everything was fine afterwards. XD Hopefully his broken rib doesn't puncture a lung or something. O_O I watch too many hospital shows, sorry. LOL.
    Poor Casey, he's kind of oblivious about how Jessica acts, I guess, maybe that's hope for her... like at least she likes one of her children?
    Ugh, I relate to Gene a lot, people constantly telling you you're nothing really does make you lose faith in yourself because eventually you believe their words... T_T
    Ahh, so Paul might not be William's kid. I thought it was quite hilarious when William said he would rather hang out with the aliens because at least he'd be away from Jessica. LOL. XD That was awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a one sided fight. Robert never hit back, he just let Gene hit him until he calmed down. He'll be alright, no real damage done.
      Casey hasn't experienced the bad side of Jessica firsthand yet. He doesn't understand why Gene is the way he is and he just wants things back to normal before everyone was fighting.
      Gene has lost faith in himself and he doesn't understand why his Dad and Robert do. He really needs to get away from Jessica. Sorry you can relate to Gene's situation. I think causing someone to lose faith in themselves is one of the worst things someone can do to another.
      Paul is a question mark and one that will be answered in a later chapter. At this point William would take being abducted over being with Jessica. Sad but true! LOL

      Delete