Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Chapter Thirty


"Dad is Mom still upset with me?"

"Have you apologized for the way you acted?"

"No, why should I?"

Stopping in mid throw, William silently looked at Sydney. Sometimes her lack of empathy towards others astounded him. "Sydney you can't really believe you have nothing to apologize for. Your mother was trying so hard to give you everything you wanted and you kept pushing her for more."

"Well it's not my fault that you have too many kids you can't afford to give us what we need."

"That's enough young lady. You are not lacking in life's necessities. You have clothes to wear and food to eat. We may not be able to afford all of life's luxuries but we are not poor and you are not neglected."

"I know, but Dad it's so humiliating to have to do my own hair."

"Sydney, if you wanted your hair done professionally you should have saved your money up or you could have selected a less expensive dress."

"I knew you would take her side_"

"I'm not taking anyone's side. I'm trying to explain to you that you need to grow up and stop expecting the world to revolve around you. Honey I love you and one day your going to be making your own decisions, right or wrong, you'll have to live with the consequences of those decisions."

"Oh Daddy you sound so serious. If it'll make you happy I'll apologize to Mom. I didn't mean half the things I said anyways and I know I was being unreasonable," Sydney said putting her basketball away.

"Honey," William called after her "Love you and thank you for apologizing."



One cold snowy day Robert gathered up his courage and asked Patricia out on a date. They met up at the park.

"Robert I'm so glad you called me; although I was almost tempted to say no."

"What? Why?" Robert asked feeling his heart speed up as he thought that she didn't like him. Did she just give him her number to be nice with no intention of ever going out with him?

She laughed silently saying "Why such a sad face?"

"Because you didn't want to go out with me."

"I what? No you misunderstood me. I meant I was tempted to say no about coming to the park. It's too cold and snowy. But I was so excited that you called me that I said yes without thinking."

"You were excited to see me?" Robert said smiling in relief.

"Why shouldn't I be excited to see the boy who spilt his drink all over me?"

"Please don't remind me. The memory of that almost kept me from calling you. I didn't think you'd want to see me again because of what happened."


 
Coming closer to Robert, she took his hands and pulled in him close. Patricia whispered in his ear saying "That's what I like about you. You don't expect girls to fall at your feet and are astonished when they do."

"Girls don't fall at my feet and if they did, something's wrong with them."

"No you just don't realize that girls like the silent intelligent type."

"So I'm Super Man. Does that make you Lois Lane?"

"Nope and you're more like Clark Kent."

"Oh you wound me." Robert said placing his hands over his heart pretending to be hurt.




"Can I kiss it and make it better?" Patricia said pulling Robert close and planted a kiss on his lips.

"Hmmm that would make almost anything better," Robert smiled.

"It should. My mama kissed all my booboo's and made them better."

"Oh yeah. Your not my mama."

"No but I inherited it from my mama so now I can heal others too."

"You're not making any sense," Robert told her enjoying the opportunity to just let go and enjoy the moment.



"That's ok, that's why you like me."

Robert grinned in acknowledgement and pulled her to him and kissed her.

"Hmm that's nice," Patricia mumbled against his lips. "You just might have a chance at turning into Superman."


Evelyn had been successful at avoiding 'the talk' for several days but her luck was about to run out. She went outside to watch it snow. She loved it when it snowed and felt at peace watching it silently drift to the ground.

"Honey we need to talk"

Evelyn nodded as she continued to watch the snow flakes. "About?"

"Oh I think you know."

"Dad I'm sorry about the other night but we weren't going to do anything."

"Evie you're too young to be that serious with a boy."

"But Daddy you like Evan, don't you?"

"Yes Evan seems to be a good kid and I'm not saying you can't see Evan. But you need to slow down before you do something you'll regret."

"Like sex, right?"

"Yes, since you say it so bluntly."



"Then don't worry, we haven't done it yet nor are we planning on it."

"Well that's a relief but sometimes our emotions get the better of us and we do things we don't plan on doing."

"Daddy if it'll make you feel better I'll be more careful in the future and do things within a group. I'm not promising that we won't ever but it'll be when we're both ready. Right now we're not, at least I'm not."

"Well I can't expect anything more than that. Just promise me you'll be responsible and careful."

"Always. Besides there's too many kids around here anyways. Why would I want to add to the chaos?" Evelyn said giving her Dad a hug. "I'm glad we talked."

"So am I, now I can go to work with one less worry."

"Only one less?"

"Hmm I have 3 other teenagers that I get to give the same talk too. I liked it better when you were all little kids, you're problems were easier to deal with."

"Just wait until Gene becomes a teenager. You think your hands are full now."

William smiled "You know exactly what to say to cheer me up."



"I can't stay long," Sydney said "I have to be home early to help with Gene's birthday party."

"No problem, I'll be there to watch the little squirt become a teenager."

"My parents invited you?"

"Yeah. You're parents are pretty cool about including me in your family gatherings."

"Cool? I'd think more like boring."

"No really I enjoy it. I always wanted a brother or sister when I was kid but I would have settled for a parents who liked each other. You don't know how lucky you are."

"You know Shon, I never thought about my family much until I met you. I always wanted to be an only child and I've resented having to share everything. But I guess I am lucky that my parents love each other and their kids. I don't know what I would have done if I had been in your place."

"Just be thankful for the family you have,"

"So why did you ask me to meet you here? Are we joining the Polar Bear club?" Sydney said pointing at the pool.

"What? No! I wanted to know if you've finished applying for college yet and if you have if you would help me."

"Oh I sent all my applications in a week ago. So I have time to help you with yours. Then hopefully we'll be accepted into the same one."

"Babe you're the best."



Later that day they all gathered around to watch Gene blow his candles out. He was more than ready to get this show on the road. 
 

He took a huge breath of air and blew the candles out almost wishing someone would have switched the candles for exploding ones. How awesome would that be to have cake exploding all over everyone? He's suggested that every time they planned a birthday party and yet no one toke him seriously. Why doesn't anyone understand how funny that would be besides him?


That thought kept a smile on his face for a moment until someone started blowing a party favor behind him. He wanted to snatch that thing and shove it done her throat but clenched his fists and tried to ignore the annoying person behind him. He refused to look to see who it was, it would be all the more tempting to do what he imagined.


Everyone was in anticipation of his aging up and he was excited to see what kind of trouble he could get into as a teen. He closed his eyes and wished that he would have the ability to accomplish all his goals, good or bad.

 
Gene figured with his natural charm and acting ability he'd be able to accomplish all his ambitions. Nothing was going to hold him back.

6 comments:

  1. Once again, William is awesome, LOL. I'll always love him and his awesome parenting abilities. Sydney and Shon are so cute together, wow, it's so cool that Shon is able to remind Sydney that she has something great because of his bad experience. I love when bad things help others or turn into great life lessons. Gene grew up nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. William knows his kids really well and they all turn to him when they need help. Sydney has grown up a lot with Shon's help. Shon has helped her appreciate the things she has and her family. They are cute together, wish I could say they were going to have a happy ever after. Gene did grow up nicely.

      Delete
  2. Sydney is such a daddys girl and Evelyn is so blunt, she isn't embarassed to speak her mind. Gene wanting the cake to blow up is hilarious lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sydney would do anything for her Dad. They have a special bond. Evelyn is pretty blunt but she at least she says what's on her mind. Gene has a unique sense of humor; although an exploding cake would have been it would be better if it was someone else's cake. LOL

      Delete
  3. Lol! I want an exploding cake too. That would be pretty funny. I like his sense of humor.

    Oh my, the dreaded sex talk. Hopefully Evelyn will do what she said but when emotions and hormones come together. ..

    Glad William was able to convince Sydney to apologize to her mom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gene is quite the character. I forgot about the exploding cake. It's so him.
      I think circumstances are going to prevent things from heating up between them unfortunately :(
      It was the hardest thing Sydney ever had to do...apologize but she loves her dad so she did it because he asked her to.
      William knows how to reason with Sydney which Jessica does not. I don't think she tries to either but you'll see Jessica's dynamic with her kids isn't all the great :(

      Delete