Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Chapter Twenty-Nine


A few days after the prom, Evan came over and he and Evelyn lounged in the hot tub together.

"I'm glad your parents didn't ground you after being out past curfew."

"I thought I was a goner though when they started yelling about responsibility. But I guess they were mostly just worried," Evan said.

"My Dad was pretty cool about it; although I could tell he was worried too. I guess parents naturally jump to the worst possible conclusion when they see a police car," Evelyn said.

"You can't blame them though as a police car usually means trouble."



"Yeah I guess and they probably have a point about us being more responsible too," Evelyn said as she snuggled closer to Evan.

"Hmm I'm thinking things my Dad would call irresponsible," Evan said cuddling with Evelyn.

Giggling Evelyn said "You better move your hand or you'll see a side of my Dad no one has seen before." 

 

Leaning over, Evan kissed Evelyn and said "It might be worth it." They started to make out and kissing passionately.

"Evan I think it's time you left," William said in a tone that meant business.

Evan reluctantly got out of the tub, kissed Evelyn goodnight and left. Evelyn glared at her Dad and demanded "How could you?"

"Evelyn calm down, you'll see him tomorrow at school."

"That was so embarrassing."

"Things were getting a little to serious between you two."

"We weren't doing anything wrong."

"Thankfully"

"It was just a little cuddling and kissing. Don't be such a prude."

"Evie, I saw where his hands were, so don't hand me that."

Evelyn felt her face flush and knew she had turned a brilliant shade of red. She started to stomp off to change clothes when she heard her Dad call after her. "We need to talk about this. Your way too young to be this serious."

Evelyn slowed her pace and turned to glare at her Dad, then kept going. She threw some shorts on and went outside to shoot some hoops. 

 


It was a cool, clear night and she hoped the exercise would help her calm down. How could her Dad embarrass her like that? Didn't he trust her? It's not like they were going to go all the way in the hot tub; especially not in a hot tub in full view of everyone in the house and on the street. 
 


The more she thought about it, the faster she ran the basketball course. She knew she would have to talk to her Dad sooner or later and to a certain extent she knew he was right. Things were heating up between her and Evan tonight. But the last thing she needed right now is a discussion about the birds and the bees. By the time she tired of shooting hoops it was late and she knew that everyone in the house would be asleep. So she went inside to relax and knew that with luck she would be able to avoid her Dad and 'the talk' until at least tomorrow after school.


Shon called Sydney the following evening and set up a date and decided to meet up at a local club.

"Hey doll face you're lookin beautiful."

"Thank you, you're lookin handsome as ever," Sydney returned the compliment. "So what's on the agenda for tonight."

Shrugging Shon said "A little of this and a little of that."

"In other words, you don't know," Sydney crossed her arms and was on the verge of speaking when Shon interrupted her.

"Baby don't be like that. I'd have fun just lookin at ya. I've heard great things about this place. So let's go in and see what the night brings us."

Sydney looked at Shon then at the building, clearly not liking where the evening was going. She turned her back on Shon, kicked a few rocks around as she thought about what she had expected this night to be like. 'I imagined going out for dinner at a fancy restaurant, maybe a stroll through the park, something romantic. I'm so out of my element here. But I like Shon. Should I do something I don't like to please him?' She smiled faintly as she thought how her family would be in shock that she would even entertain the idea of doing anything to please someone else.

Shon felt queasy as he watched Sydney turn away from him. 'Maybe he should have listened to Casey and taken her out to a fancy restaurant. He felt a trickle of sweat roll down his spine Maybe I should tell her I changed my mind and take her some place else.' He opened his mouth to speak when Sydney turned to him with a smile on her face.

"Well the night's not getting any younger. Let's go check this place out."

They walked inside, the first thing they see is a large crowd of people listening to karaoke. Sydney groaned and stopped dead in her tracks. Shon kept going, tugging on her hand, Sydney reluctantly followed thinking there was no way she was singing karaoke. Shon turned to her smiling widely saying "This is going to be fun."

They found a place to sit and watched a few people on stage. Sydney had to admit a few of them weren't half bad but the majority were just plain awful. In Sydney's opinion there was nothing worse than to have your ears assaulted by someone screeching into a microphone and think they're producing music.

"What'd you think of that performance?" Shon asked yelling to be heard above the clapping of the crowd.

Sydney grimaced "That was just awful. Whoever told her she could sing was off their rocker or needs their ears checked."

"Hey be nice. That's my great Aunt Edna."

Sydney felt like she had swallowed both her feet but wouldn't back down as she felt that what she had said was the truth.

"Don't worry babe," Shon said winking at her "Great Aunt Edna knows she can't sing worth a darn but you can't fault her as the old girl knows how to have fun."

The 'old girl' was having so much fun that when she was done she invited Shon and his girlfriend up to sing a duet for the crowd. Sydney shook her head emphatically and crossed her arms as Shon attempted to grab her hand.

"Come on babe it'll be fun," Shon said standing, holding his hand out to her. Sydney glared at him and wouldn't budge. Then the audience started to chant and she wished she could run and hide somewhere.

"Come on I'll be with you. Besides I know you sing better than great Aunt Edna."




She giggled at his comment beginning to relax. She reached over and took Shon's extended hand and let him lead her to the stage. Sydney tried not to look out into the audience, fearing the sea of faces would make her more nervous then she already was. She felt like she was going to fall at any moment, her legs were trembling so much. She looked at Shon, who winked at her and whispered in her ear "You can do this babe."



Robert sat by the campfire lost in thought. His mind kept replaying the past few days, he couldn't help but wish he had never let Evelyn convince him to meet Chris Dowell. Sure she was nice to talk to and a great dancer but she latched onto him and wouldn't let go. How could a girl go from just having met you to thinking you were their boyfriend? 
 

Standing to warm himself at the fire, Roberts thought were still turned inwards wondering how he could get out of the mess he was in. This was the first night that Chris hadn't texted him nonstop so maybe this nightmare would be over soon. So far trying to disentangle himself from Chris was like walking through a briar patch without getting any on you, next to impossible. Chris had started to text him at all hours and when he didn't text back, she would call or ambush him at school with accusations of him cheating on her. Why couldn't she comprehend that he wasn't cheating when they weren't even dating? So far his protests had fallen on deaf ears.


Sitting down again, he decided he was hungry and started to grill the fish he had caught earlier. His mind still working on the problem that was Chris, he knew there was a solution, he just hadn't found it yet. Chris was book smart, that was something he appreciated about her right away. Instead of pretending to understand what he was talking about, like other girls he had met, she could hold an intelligent conversation. But what she lacked was common sense. Watching the fish cook, Robert sighed, vowing to himself that one day he would get even. Evelyn would pay for this. It was her fault for setting him up with Chris, she should have known better. 
 

When the fish was done, Robert slowly munched on it while his thoughts continued to replay what happened earlier that day at school. It had been a daily ritual for him to attempt to hide from Chris; especially during lunch. He had just sat down to enjoy his packed lunch, when he saw Chris. In his haste to leave before she saw him he bumped into someone.

"Excuse me,"

"Look what you've done," a soft musical voice said.

He turned to see a pretty girl wiping liquid from his energy drink from her blouse. Blushing, Robert felt his face flush hot as he realized he ruined her outfit.


"I'm sorry. I didn't see you."

"How could you see me? You were looking behind you," she said still looking down at the stain on her blouse.

"You're right, I should have been paying more attention. I really am sorry," Robert apologized again.

"I know you're sorry but I'm the one who has to walk around with this stain all down the front of her. I so wanted this day to go smoothly too," She said looking up for the first time.

"Um I might be able to help you out with that."

"How? I'm open to any and all suggestions."

"Well my sisters might have something you can wear over your blouse." As he was talking he took his phone out and texted both Evelyn and Sydney. Shortly he had a text back "Great Evelyn has a sweater she can let you borrow. Come on we'll meet her at her locker."

"By the way I'm Patricia Bradford," the girl said as they walked together.

"I'm Robert, Robert Bennett."

"It's nice to meet you Robert. This is my first day and why I had wanted to look nice. But oh well I'll deal with it and if your sister has a sweater I can wear, than it should be ok."

They arrived at Evelyn's locker, where Patricia received the sweater. As she was putting it on, Robert's luck ran out.
 


Robert grimaced at the memory of how Chris stormed up to them and yelled at him.

"I knew it. I just knew it. This is the girl your cheating on me with," Chris said stabbing a finger at Patricia.

Robert moved to put himself between Patricia and Chris saying "I just met her."

"Oh really? You've been avoiding me for days and now I find you with another woman." She tried to get around Robert but he continued to block her. "Get out of my way."

"Chris be reasonable. You know you and I were never boyfriend and girlfriend."

Chris glared at him, breathing hard. "I hate you. I wouldn't be your girlfriend for all the money in the world." She spun around and slapped Robert as hard as she could, then stomped off. Robert rubbed his face that was beginning to tingle from the slap wondering what just happened.

Evelyn was saying something "Rob I'm sorry for trying to set you up with her. I had no idea she was a psycho."

Robert shrugged still rubbing his cheek. He turned to Patricia "I'm sorry you got caught up in all of this on your first day and everything."

"Well at least I know your not some kind of clutz for spilling your drink all over me. But watch your back that Chris girl is some kind of crazy." Just then the bell rang for class, Patricia turned to Evelyn with a smile "Thank you for the sweater. I'll bring it back tomorrow." Turning to Robert, she took his hand and wrote her number on it "Call me some time." Then she turned and ran to her next class.

Robert didn't know whether he should call her but there was something about her. He couldn't get Patricia out of his thoughts.

6 comments:

  1. Heehee, not surprised Sydney had some attitude because she didn't get taken to a fancy place. I hope she at least had fun with Shon, seeing as I think she does like him.
    Eww, Chris sounds like one of the worst girls ever. LOL. It's so good that Robert met someone else. Evelyn's intentions might have been good, but I think she should do some more research on the person before setting them up, if she ever does it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sydney does like Shon, I think they would make a good couple.
      Poor Robert should never have let Evelyn set him up but meeting Patricia by accident was a good thing.
      I doubt Evelyn will try that again but you never know, she does have younger siblings to perfect her match making skills on. LOL

      Delete
  2. Sydney is being shy? -gasp!- I would hate to sing in front of all those people too though. I adore Shon's way of talking, it's so different. And of course I think Robert should call her! WHat a psycho Chris is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sydney wasn't so much shy as uncomfortable with being put on the spot. She wouldn't have done it without Shon being there. Shon has a way of getting to do things outside her comfort zone.
      I wanted Shon to have some rough edges and the way he talks I hope show that. He has a heart of gold inside that shines through but the way he talks helps him keep people at a distance unless he wants to let them in.
      I wanted to give Robert a romantic interest and wound up with fatal attraction with Chris. Every time they were together it would end up in an argument. When he met Patricia and they were so cute together, I had to make him switch and go for her instead. Chris is a psycho. Don't worry Robert will give Patricia a call.

      Delete
  3. Poor Robert! What a weirdo that Chris girl is. Hopefully he'll give Patrician a call and something can blossom from that. ;)

    Sydney thought more about what someone else wanted to do...she's maturing! It's good that Shop can convince her to try new things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking back on what happens Robert may have been better off with Chris ;(
      It was always in her but now she's more receptive and mature. Maybe its the company she's been keeping. Shon's a really good guy :)

      Delete