Saturday, June 21, 2014

Chapter Thirty-One Part Four



A month after Casey was released from the hospital they finally had Sydney's funeral and memorial service. After the service the family gathered around the urn to say their final goodbyes to Sydney.




Beverly approached the urn and in a small quivering voice said: "It's not fair that you had to leave us so soon. I wish you were still here. I miss you sissie. No one will ever be able to read me stories like you. I miss having our special time together." Beverly sobbed as she spoke and covering her face with her hands she ran to William who held her until her sobs became manageable.


Gene approached, his head bowed down he brought his hands up to wipe the tears away. Choking on a sob he said "Syd I'm so sorry. It's my fault. I took the batteries from the fire alarms. I needed them for one of my experiments. I meant to put them back but I forgot. If I hadn't taken them the firemen would have arrived sooner. I wish I were dead as I don't know how to live with what I've done." Finishing he backed away making way for Casey.


 
Casey approached staring at his hands as he began to speak, his voice breaking as he fought to speak over the lump in his throat. "Thank you Sydney for pushing me out of the way that night. I'm sorry we never got a chance to become friends. I guess you had a lot more heart than any of us ever gave you credit for. I'll be grateful to you for the rest of my life. Love and miss you!" He quickly walked away as he lost control and began to sob, he sought out his father who quickly wrapped him into a hug and let him cry on his shoulder.



Evelyn stood up and took Casey's spot, she rubbed her eyes in a vain attempt to rid them of their gumminess. Her throat felt sore and raw as she spoke "Hi Syd it's the 'Green Meanie'. How I hated that nickname! Now I wish you were here so you could call me that again. I know we never really got along but you were my sister and I miss you. I probably never told you this but Shon was a keeper and I'm glad you met him and gave him a chance. He really loved you." As she left her vision blurred as tears once again poured from her eyes.



Seeing that Evelyn was done Robert approached wiping his nose and attempting to maintain his composure he spoke in a voice made ruff from too much crying "I know you sacrificed yourself when you pushed Casey towards me and away from you. You saw it coming and acted. I don't know if I could have been that brave and selfless. I tried to get to you but I just couldn't. I didn't want to leave you. I couldn't lift the beams, I tried and tried but they wouldn't budge. I wasn't strong enough. Sydney I'm so sorry that I couldn't save you. I failed, when you needed me the most I failed and it's unforgivable. Oh God Sydney I'm sorry ..." Robert broke down in front of everyone as he sobbed in front of Sydney's urn. William silently guided him away and settled him in a corner where he would have some privacy.



Seeing that the family's attention was on Robert, Shon took the opportunity to speak "Hey babe it's me. I miss you. Your dad's been great to include me and he takes time to make sure I'm alright. I don't know where he get's the strength as everyone leans on him. I understand why you were such a daddy's girl. Babe the last time we spoke we discussed Evelyn and Evan. I took it upon myself to tell her. She wasn't happy but I felt you'd have wanted me to look out for her. Well babe I don't know how I'm gonna make it without ya. Wish I didn't have to. Love ya, babe." Shon stood there a moment wiping tears away and feeling shaky and jittery inside.


Taking a moment Jessica approached and spoke softly to Sydney "This wasn't supposed to happen baby girl. I thought I was doing the right thing for your father. How did it all go so horribly wrong? Why didn't I believe him? This is all my fault and because of my decision you paid the price." Feeling fragile and lost Jessica didn't know where to turn. Unable to turn to her husband for support she wept alone, sobbing into her hands.



William spent so much time looking after the kids making sure they were alright he hardly had time to process what was happening. He saw Jessica weeping, standing apart from the family and it barely registered that she might need a shoulder to cry on. William steeled himself up as he approached his daughters urn to say his final goodbye to his precious little princess "You were always my little princess. I loved you the moment I held you in my arms. I wish I could have seen you grow into the person you were becoming. To walk you down the aisle. Shon would have made a fine son-in-law. I wish you had the chance to become a mother even though you said you disliked the whole idea of having children. I think in time you would have changed your mind. I'm looking after Shon for you sweetheart. Love and miss you princess." Overcome with grief and emotion, William removed his dark glasses he had been wearing to cover his red, puffy eyes. He his shoulders shook as he sobbed into his hands.
 

 

6 comments:

  1. Sydney :( Gene and Robert have to understand that her death isnt their fault. None of the kids could have done anything to stop it and Sydney wouldnt want her brothers beating themselves up for it. It is never easy losing a family member.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robert and Gene are finding it difficult to overcome the guilt. It would be best if they would talk about it but right now the family struggling with their grief that they hadn't been able to deal while Casey and Robert were the hospital. You're right Sydney would not want them beating themselves up over it either.

      Delete
  2. T_T Sydney. All of their speeches were so heartfelt and sweet. I really hope one day Gene and Robert don't feel like they don't deserve to be alive. That's not what this is about, just because Sydney died, it doesn't mean that they were to blame for it. It's not like they pushed her under the beams, but I understand their guilt because that is just a normal human reaction, to question why her and not me. They have each other and they have William, so I'm hoping they don't suffer in silence, if they let others help them, they will eventually feel better and can move on with their lives, with the memory of Sydney living on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gene and Robert took Sydney's death the hardest. Gene because he feels responsible and Robert because he feels he let her down. We'll see if they bottle up their feelings or ask for help. William will always be there for them no matter what. Sydney will live on their memories.

      Delete
  3. So sad. I just want to hug them all and take the pain away. I can only imagine the guilt that they all feel. I hope things get better with time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So much pain and loss. They appreciate the hugs they need all they can get. The guilt is almost too much for them as you'll find out in Gen 2. I wish I could say things improve but you'll see....

      Delete