Saturday, April 8, 2017

4.27 Moving Day


Andrew looked through the empty rooms with a heavy heart knowing this was no longer home. It was time. Past time if you asked someone their opinion, namely his sister. Indira was so full of opinions. Even she had met her match. Randy was good for her. Elissa was even better. Andrew would never have imagined his sister had a soft side. She definitely melted when it came to that little girl. The only thing that would make things better would be if Indira had her own child. So far she had resisted the idea. It was always once she had finished some big project or got her next promotion.
Randy would smile and shrug at her stubbornness with a mystified looked on his face. A look Andrew had come to believe meant Randy didn't quite know how he had wound up in this position. Andrew remembered the wedding well. It had been an elaborate church wedding. Tons of family had come. Cousins they had never met before or seen in  years. It was good to see his mother's face glowing with happiness being surrounded by family she hadn't seen in years.
The wedding was true Indira style including an official melt down that left many in tears and others rolling in laughter on the floor. Andrew couldn't help but wonder if Grandpa Gene would have been able to calm the worst of Indira's furies if he had been there. Sadly though it had been three years since he had passed away leaving Grandma Aimee lost without him.


Andrew  had sat beside the older woman holding her hand. He could see the tears in her eyes as she watched everyone around her. It was at that moment Andrew asked "how do you do it? Go on living without him." He glanced over his shoulder towards Charlie trying to chase down their rambunctious toddler. Gabriel had managed to strip down to his birthday suit and was gleefully running around the guests.
Instead of answering his question Aimee clutched his hand firmly in hers. Smiling despite the tears of sadness glistening in her eyes she said "enjoy the moments. Your son won't be little forever."
At her words Andrew could feel his anxiety melt away. He let the truth of her words seep into his heart. This would become one of those moments they would laugh about later. Gabriel would become red with embarrassment each time they retold this story in the upcoming years.
He grunted aloud in the large empty room wiping at the moisture in his eyes. He still had the picture of Gabriel's smiling happy face as he strutted his stuff for all to see. Hard to imagine that was two years ago.
***


"Hey babe are you almost ready to go?" Charlie asked coming up behind him "the kids are getting restless."
"Oh" Andrew mumbled turning towards his husband "do you regret not having a church wedding?"
Looking mystified for a moment Charlie shook his head "never." Turning Andrew to face him he asked "what's all this about?"
"Nothing" he mumbled looking at his feet "our wedding was so simple compared with Indira's. I know you wanted so much more..."
"That's not true" Charlie cupped Andrew's face between his palms.
Looking up Andrew protested "you kept asking if I was sure I didn't want the church or the park or the formal tux. The bachelor party and a hundred other things." He sighed looking down "I thought you wanted all those things."

"I only wanted one thing" Charlie smiled leaning forward tenderly capturing Andrew's lips with his "and I've got him. We could have gotten married at the court house for all I cared."
"Really?" Andrew asked a smile tugging the corners of his mouth up "I only ever envisioned a beach wedding. Our beach. Where we met that summer."
"Our wedding was perfect" Charlie assured him "it was everything and more. It was the moment you became mine and I became yours."
Andrew smiled remembering the small bunch of people on the beach that day. His parents holding hands gazing into each others eyes. The wish he made gazing into Charlie's eyes that they would be as in love as his parents were now twenty years in the future.
Zayne and Millie had been there holding each other tight. Harmony had been there bride's maid, Jordyn and Brie in matching dresses throwing petals in the air. Zayne had given them each fatherly advise about never going to bed angry.
Emmaline had been their best man or as she liked to say best girl. She had been so happy for them. All smiles and good cheer. It was hard to imagine that was over three years ago.
***

"Dad" Gabriel called "stop the mush and let's go."
Reluctantly Charlie pulled away from Andrew a bemused smile upon his face, "our son calls us."
"I hear" Andrew sighed wishing they could have finished what they started with the kiss. Charlie never failed to ignite a fire within his mind and body.
"I thought I told you to wait in the car for us" Charlie gave his son a stern look.
"You were taking for-ev-er" Gabriel rolled his eyes emphasizing each syllable in forever "why can't we just stay here?"

Chuckling softly Charlie shook his head "where would the quads sleep?"
Rubbing his chin Gabriel said "the garage."
"No" Andrew shook his head in dismay.
"Why not?" Gabriel demanded "there's plenty of room."
"The garage is no place for babies," Andrew said "now go get in the van. We'll be leaving soon."

"I don't want to move," Gabriel cried "I like it here. Grandma and Grandpa are here. They need me."
"We'll come to visit but we can't stay here" Charlie emphasized to the boy.
Stomping his feet he demanded "why did you have to have so many babies?"
Charlie and Andrew exchanged tired glances. This wasn't a new complaint. It had come up multiple times in the past few months while they looked for a suitable house. Perhaps if they had looked into moving to the mainland their search would have been easier.
They had decided not to move that far away. Gabriel was attached to his grandparents. It would have seemed cruel to separate them just for a bigger house. As it was moving to the other side of the island was proving problematical.
***


They followed Gabriel down the stairs and outside to the car. "Andrew" Emmaline called running from the house "don't go."
Andrew turned in time to be tackled by his younger sister home from college for the summer. "I wouldn't leave without saying goodbye."
"I know...it's just" she bit her lip "I wanted you to meet someone."
"A boyfriend" Andrew tugged on her long pink hair "I've got to meet him" he winked at her.
"Andrew please" she pleaded "be nice."



"When am I not nice?" he asked innocently.

Rolling her eyes she took his arm leading him towards the house to the consternation of the others. "Don't be long" Charlie called behind them.
"I won't" Andrew assured him. Turning to his sister "is he good to you."
Nodding she grinned happily up at him "I really like him."
Andrew sighed he knew this day was coming. The day he would have to share his sister with someone else like she had to share him with Charlie. Their bond had always been strong even as children. Then the months fighting together to survive in the land of the mutants as they liked to call it now. He knew she still had nightmares same as he did. They'd spent a lot of time talking about it. "Does he know about" he didn't get the chance to finish his question when they were interrupted.

"Is this him?" a young man poked his head out the door. His eyes sparkled with excitement. He stuck his hand out "hi I'm Nathan."
Hesitantly Andrew took his hand "I'm Andrew." He smiled as the boy shook his hand enthusiastically "it's nice to meet you."
"Em has told me so much about you" Nathan enthused.
"All good I hope" he said looking towards his sister.
"All good" she confirmed moving to put her arms around the smiling young man.

Andrew watched them knowing that Emmie was hoping he'd like this new person in her life. The boy reminded him of a playful puppy. All smiles and boundless energy. "Good" he nodded unsure what else to say. He never was very good around strangers. He regretted not having the gift of gab. He was good once he got to know them until then it was all uncomfortable silence and odd questions.
Looking over his shoulder Nathan asked "would you like some help?"
"Er" Andrew frowned at him.
"Looks like you're moving" the boy continued undaunted.
"Oh no," Andrew shook his head "everything's done."

"I'm going to miss you" Emmaline cried throwing herself into Andrew's arms "I don't want you to go."
"It's just on the other side of the island" Andrew said patting her back.
"It's not the same" she whined "I like knowing you're here when I come home."
Laughing a little to relieve the mounting tension Andrew squeezed her tight "you'll have to come to visit."
"I will" she sniffed taking Nathan's hand. Stepping down the steps Andrew waved "I have to go before Gabriel throws a fit. It was nice meeting you." Andrew nodded towards Nathan. Turning he made his way back to the van.
***

"It's about time dad" Gabriel complained from the backseat.
"I didn't know your Aunt Emmaline was going to be here" Andrew said "I had to say goodbye to her."
"Who was that with her?" he asked.
"That's Nathan" Andrew said "he's her  boyfriend."
"She can't have a boyfriend" Gabriel protested angrily from the backseat.
"Why can't she?" Charlie asked glancing into the rearview mirror.

"Cuz I'm going to marry her" the little boy announced crossing his arms around his chest "it's not fair".
"Life's like that sometimes" Charlie said concentrating on driving.
Andrew smiled knowing given time Gabriel would have figured out why he couldn't marry his favorite Aunt. Like all little girls figured out why daddy couldn't marry them. Andrew glanced out at the passing scenery. He loved Sunlit Tides. The oceans and beaches were so soothing to him. It's something he hadn't appreciated until after he had come back from the future.
"Babe what are you thinking?" Charlie asked as he turned into their driveway.
"Nothing" he mumbled in response. He saw the slight frown that creased his husband's forehead. The frown that said he knew Andrew was keeping something back from him. Turning to open his door Andrew knew sooner or later he would be confronted again with the same question.
***

Once the quads were changed, fed and down for their nap Andrew went outside to sit on the lounger enjoying the last of the days heat and sun. He looked up smiling when Charlie came out to join him.
"Where's Gabriel?" he asked as Charlie took the other lounger.
"Doing his homework" Charlie sighed staring at the ocean.
"Voluntarily?" Andrew asked shocked.
"It's not that hard" Charlie shrugged "a few vocabulary words."
"Does he need help?" Andrew asked. It was unusual for their son not to ask for help. One he always wanted to know what the words meant. Two Andrew always helped him learn to spell the words. Three he always wanted Andrew to turn the words into a story. "Maybe I should go in and check on him" Andrew said moving to get up.
Putting a hand out Charlie said "don't go." He stood up facing Andrew "we need to talk."
This was it Andrew realized the continuation of the conversation in the van. He held his breath. Counted to ten. Blew air from his nose before turning to face his husband. "It's getting late and I should start something for supper and..."

"It's not that late" Charlie said "I need to know what you're thinking. Don't shut me out."
"I'm not" the irritation in Andrew's voice had Charlie stepping back "sorry it's just... I'm" he stopped looking away. His earlier calm and peace gone.
"You're what?" Charlie asked struggling to keep his own irritation from showing.
"I'm tired of being interrogated every time I decide not to share my feelings," he ran a hand through his hair messing up his already messy bun. "I'm tired of having to justify why I feel a certain way. I know I was messed up when I came back from the future but I don't want to have an hours long discussion about every stray passing thought I have."
"I didn't mean....that wasn't what I" Charlie snapped his mouth shut. Was that what he was doing? "I'm sorry" he sighed loudly "I had no idea I was doing that."
"I'm sorry too" Andrew moved closer to him "I should be more up front with how I feel. It's just...difficult."
"I care so much" Charlie mumbled retreating into himself.
"I know you do" Andrew put a hand on his forearm "it's just sometimes a frown is just a frown. I don't want to go into an explanation of why I'm frowning if the subject of said frown is within hearing distance."

"Has that happened?" Charlie asked regret in his tone.
"Yes unfortunately" Andrew sighed "you're so in tune to me that you question me on the frown I get when I smell something bad. Like that middle aged lady at the grocery store. Her perfume mixed with body odor was giving me a headache and you wanted to discuss my frown right there and then."
"You know how I get when you keep insisting nothing's wrong" Charlie said "I knew something was wrong," he shrugged "I kept pressing for more information."
"I thought saying nothing was better than saying the lady picking out toilet paper reeked and was making me sick." Andrew laughed "maybe I should have said something else I don't know."
"I would have loved to have seen that lady's face when you said that" Charlie smiled "it would have been priceless. I see what you mean though." He reached up cupping Andrew's face between his hands "I just worry that you'll bury the problem and I won't know you're hurting."
"I won't lock myself in the bathroom if that's what you're afraid of," Andrew attempted to joke "I just need time to process my feelings before I can express how I feel. Sometimes the barrage of questions makes me feel like my feeling aren't valid or I need you to validate them. Sometimes I don't know how I feel. So much is coming at me that I need time to just be."
"Like today?" Charlie asked.
Nodding Andrew looked up into Charlie's eyes "I know we needed to move. We simply didn't fit in our cozy little apartment anymore. I love this house we picked out together." He looked into the loving eyes of his husband and sighed "it just suddenly dawned on me as we were driving away that I wasn't going to see my parents everyday. I wasn't going to see Emmie everyday. I was afraid." He leaned forward resting his  head on Charlie's shoulder. He could feel Charlie's arms slip around his waist holding him tight. "For a moment my heart rate increased and I couldn't breathe."


Charlie squeezed Andrew tighter "you were having an anxiety attack."
"I don't want to shut you out," Andrew cried reaching up to stroke Charlie's cheek "I just don't always know how I feel when I'm in the middle of feeling it."
"I'll try to be patient" Charlie said covering Andrew's mouth in a kiss "I just hate seeing you frown."
"If frowning meant more kisses I'd do it more," Andrew said breathlessly pulling away from him.
"I love you so much" Charlie said pulling  him close.
"Dad" Gabriel called from the house "I'm hungry and the quads are screaming."
Laughing in each others arms Charlie asked "which do you want the hungry five year old or the screaming quads."
"Given a choice I'll take the five year old" Andrew said with a smile slipping from Charlie's arms "have fun with the quads."

5 comments:

  1. They have a sweet family.
    But I definitely understand Andrew about not wanting to share every little thing that bothers me. I would've been miffed too.
    But at least, they talk through it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They have a sweet family.
    But I definitely understand Andrew about not wanting to share every little thing that bothers me. I would've been miffed too.
    But at least, they talk through it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they do! It took a while but they finally got there.
      Charlie means well but sometimes in his quest to help Andrew he's a bit intrusive. That's one thing they've always been good at. Talking things through. Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  3. Awww Andrew and Charlie are such sweeties <3 Emmies BF is cute... Good job ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just love them!!!! It's going to be difficult to let them go when the next gen starts. Nathan is a cutie. I made him a while back and was waiting for a reason to use him.
      Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete