Monday, February 27, 2017

4.26 Success or Not

 

Indira stood clearly dismissed and being shown the door. If she heard "we'll call you" one more time she'd scream. Her GPA was impressive. Her resume was full of prestigious letters of recommendations from her professors. Yet all of these so called advantages she was unable to obtain a simple job at any of her preferred elite businesses. She had heard the same excuses ad nauseam. Too educated. Too inexperienced. Too young. Her favorite 'we have a position open in the mail room.' That was an insult to her well educated self. Her vanity recoiled at the thought. She stood on the street looking up at the towering building she had just exited. Was working in the mail room worse then going home a failure?
She couldn't imagine anything less dignified then working in the mail room. Even going home jobless was better then that. It had only been a few months since graduation. She couldn't expect to land her dream job just yet. She wasn't to the point of needing to accept a position so beneath he credentials.
Turning from the impressive building Indira nodded to herself. It was time to go home. She hadn't been home for over two years. It was time to make an appearance. If only she could go back a success.
***

A young purple haired male watched from within the building she just exited. A tight lipped grimace played across his face. Glancing at the time he knew he didn't have time to go talk to he. His break was over and he had a pile of work to wade through before going home. Briefly he wondered if dared risk his manager's ire by being late. Shaking his head he decided not to chance it.
Entering the elevator he couldn't keep his mind from wondering what she was doing here. Had she come for an interview? Had she gotten a position here? He took a deep breath as his heart rate sped up. It had been two going on three years since he had last seen he. She still looked as beautiful as ever.
"Mr Scott my office now" his manager said as he settled at his desk.
"Yes ma'am" he murmured as he stood up following her into her office. He could feel all his co-workers curious eyes focused on him. Some looked away with pity no doubt wondering what infringement of the rules he had made to be dismissed in such a formal way. Swallowing had he closed the door with a dull thud before turning to face the manager.
"Have a seat Mr Scott" she indicated one of the uncomfortable chairs in front of her massive desk. She stood facing away from the panoramic view of the city.
He sat on the edge of his chair poised to spring into action if need be. The silence between them grew oppressive. He squirmed in his seat like a naughty little boy in the principles office. If she were going to fire him why didn't she just get it over with?


Turning from the window hands folded in front of her "you're doing an impressive job," she began her voice cold as if compliments did not sit well in her mouth. "However it's not getting done fast enough."
His heart beat uncomfortably fast in his chest. He needed this job. He had someone depending on him to keep this job. "I'll work harder. I'll stay late. I'll do whatever it takes to get it done faster."
"That's not good enough" her voice wasn't unkind exactly just cold. She gave him an impassive gaze she said "I've decided to hire someone to assist you. She comes highly recommended. Perhaps you know her" she paused walking around her imposing desk. "Indira Bennett. Her resume is impressive despite it's lack of job experience."
His breath caught in his throat at the mention of the girls name. He looked up finding his managers steely gaze upon him waiting or a response from him. "Yes I know her. We roomed together for two years at university."
A slight frown creased the imposing woman's brow "will you be able to work with her without violating our no fraternization clause among employees?"
"That won't be a problem" Randy assured her with a confident nod.
***



Indira frowned as the excited toddler started clapping his hands and screaming "daddy daddy" at the top of his lungs. He smiled pointing towards the door "daddy home."
Lifting her eyes she spared the toddler a small irritated nod before dropping her eyes back to the book she was attempting to read. The room filled with loud giggles as Andrew was tackled by his young son around the knees. "I'm going to get you" Andrew said to the obvious delight of his son who giggled as Andrew tickled him. "Did you miss me?" Andrew asked giving the toddler a kiss on the cheek.
"Yes" the boy cooed leaning his head on Andrew's shoulder "missed you."
Walking into the living where his sister sat staring at a book he said "thank you for watching Gabriel today."
She lifted her light green eyes mumbling "you're welcome" before letting them drop back to the book.
"I hope he wasn't any trouble" Andrew said attempting to generate a conversation with his sister.
Putting a finger inside the book to mark her spot she let out an exaggerated sigh "you could train your son to be quiet on command."
"He's a toddler not a puppy" Andrew rolled his eyes "he doesn't know how to be quiet."


"Precisely why he needs to be trained" Indira gave him a cold hard stare. The one that said she knew what she was talking about and he should listen to her.
"Daddy" Gabriel patted Andrew's shoulder "she made me sit there all day" he pointed towards a child's chair facing a corner.
"Did you get in trouble?" he asked watching his young son closely.
"No daddy" Gabriel shook his head "I good. Good boy."
"Good" Indira shouted "he wouldn't sit still and be quiet. Not even when I told him."
Ignoring her Andrew asked "is that true? Were you making lot of noise?"
Gabriel pressed his face into Andrew's shoulder "I was playing cars." He pointed towards the model town "Grandpa said I could play with it."
"Yes he did" Andrew kissed his son's chubby little cheek wet with tears "It's ok. You didn't do anything wrong."


"Didn't do anything wrong" Indira exclaimed glaring at her brother "what do you call making car noises nonstop even after I told him to be quiet? He needs discipline."
"Auntie mean" Gabriel whispered loudly in Andrew's ear.
"I am not" she growled indignantly causing Gabriel to jump in his father's arms.
"Tell her to go away daddy" Gabriel pleaded "me don't like her."
Charlie stuck his head inside the room attracted by his son's loud requests for Indira to leave. "I'll take him outside"he suggested taking Gabriel from Andrew. He gave Indira a piercing glare before leaving the room.
Staring after the young man Indira turned her hostile gaze towards Andrew "you should be ashamed of yourself."
"Me" Andrew gasped wishing he had left when Charlie had "what have I ever done to you for you to dislike me so much?"
"This isn't about me" Indira said "I'm not the one sponging off our parents."



Andrew's mouth dropped open "is that what you think?"
"I don't have to think. I know" she spat out "you taking advantage of our parents and they're too naive to see it. They should let me be in charge of their assets otherwise they won't have any left for Emmie and me."
Andrew stared at her in disbelief. His brain felt paralyzed as her words soaked in "do you really think I'd take more than my fair shared of the inheritance whatever that may be? Money isn't everything. I'd give all the money in the world if it meant keeping mom and dad around a little longer."
"What do you call free room and board? Free food? Free daycare? I bet they even bought those cars your and lover boy drive." She was winding herself up into a fury and it felt so good. She hadn't had a good argument in awhile.
Andrew took a step forward anger making his eyes smolder behind his long lashes. "You're jealous" he said ignoring her insults and slurs "I have what you want. A husband. A child. A good job. I have everything you thought you'd have by now." He laughed shaking his head at her.
Indira's eyes narrowed first in shock then in anger "how dare you. I'd never be jealous of you." She held herself rigidly despite the walls crumbling inside he "you have nothing I want." Even as she said it she knew it wasn't true. She wanted everything he had. The husband. The kids. The job. She wanted it all. "You only have those things because you're taking advantage of our parents generosity. If you were living in the real world you'd have nothing."
"Like you?" Emmaline said from the entry way "why did you come back? To tell mom and dad how awful you think they are? To tell Andrew he's an awful parent? I don't get it. What did we ever do to you?"
"Emmie's right" Andrew said walking towards his sister "she may be young but she's always had my back." He hugged her tight "love you short stuff." Turning towards Indira he said "I don't care what you think of me. You've made it abundantly clear what you think of me and my family. I agree with my son. You need to go." With that he turned and walked from the room.
***

Indira blinked. There wasn't a trace of the indecisive boy she once knew. What happened to him?
As if in response to her unspoken question Emmaline said "spending almost a year fighting to survive changes a person. Hardens a person. It's an experience that drew all of us closer." She took a step closer to her older sister "I watched Andrew and Charlie fight for each other. What they have together I can only hope I can find. I doubt I'll find someone willing to sacrifice everything for me but if I do I don't intend to let him go." She blinked back tears "don't you dare stand there and deny you don't want the same thing."
"I fail to see how that concerns me" Indira huffed knowing that her sister was right. She may even have had that once but thrown it away. "That doesn't mean they're still not sponging off our parents. Taking what's ours."
"Don't you get it?" Emmaline cried "none of this is ours. We don't have any rights to any of this. Our parents worked for everything they have. The same as Andrew and Charlie are working for what they have."
"That's a laugh" Indira snorted "they're living here for free."
"Who says they're living here for free?" Emmaline demanded.
"I did but Andrew didn't deny it" Indira retorted.
Laughing Emmaline shook her head at her "that's so typical of our brother. He'd rather let you think the worst of him than fight."


"What are you talking about?" Indira asked.
"Just the fact that Andrew pays rent for that apartment they have over the garage. They pay all of their utilities, food and whatever else they need."
"Yeah right" Indira scoffed "they've eaten over here everyday since I've been here."
"Because mom asked them too" Emmaline almost shouted at her "this is the first time in years everyone is home at the same time. Of course she wants to eat as a family."
"It must be pretty cheap rent" Indira continued digging herself deeper "why else rent when you have a growing family that would be better served in their own home."
"You really don't get it" Emmaline shook her head sadly.
"Get what?" Indira's voice rose.
"We're family" Emmaline stomped her foot "mom wants them close. Wants all of us close. You have no idea how much they worry about us. About you."
"Whatever" Indira mumbled walking away.
***

A week later Indira was sitting at her desk numbly going through piles of paperwork transferring the paper files to the computer. She kept telling herself on repeat that this was better than the mail room. Glancing up she saw Randy doing the same thing. With her diploma she should be a rung or two above someone who hadn't even finished his degree.
"I'm calling it a night" Randy said from his desk shutting down his computer "would you like a ride?"
"Sure" she said tiding up her desk before shutting down her computer for the night.
Walking into the elevator Randy asked "do you mind if I make a quick stop to pick someone up?"
"Hot date" she asked as a sharp knife seemed to stab her in the heart. Why did the thought of him going out bother her so much? Sighing Randy shook his head the overhead light catching the sadness in his eyes. The moment was missed as Indira stepped out of the elevator and into the poorly lit parking garage.
Collecting his car Randy drove up to what looked like a shabby three floor walk up. Putting the car in park he said "wait here" as he got out.
Ignoring his request Indira followed him inside the building. "If you think I'm going to wait in the car you have another thing coming."
Glumly he accepted her presence. He knew it had been a mistake offering her a ride. He was already late and Mrs Bolaji wasn't known for patience with tardiness. Knocking on the flimsy door Randy took a deep breath bracing himself for the blast he knew was coming.
"You're late" a heavy set dour looking middle aged woman growled opening the door.

"I know" Randy said in a resigned voice "I'm sorry."
"My hours are clearly marked" she stabbed a pudgy finger towards an ancient blackboard "this is the second time this week you've been late. If this continues you'll need to find a different daycare."
"Daddy" a small hesitant voice broke into the one sided conversation.
"Hey pumpkin" Randy smiled as he bent to embrace the little girl running towards him "how's my girl?"
Looking over her shoulder she gave a fearful look to the imposing bulk of Mrs Bolaji. "I want to go home" she announced squeezing her arms tight around Randy's neck.
"You're daughter lacks discipline" the woman emphasized her words with stabbing motions of her index finger at Randy's chest "a real hellion"
Randy turned his back on the irate woman feeling his daughter tremble in his arms. He bumped into Indira in the process "sorry" he mumbled earning himself a baleful glare.
"Daddy who that?" the little girl asked pointing at Indira who had followed them to the car.
"That's Indira" Randy explained "daddy works with."
"Oh" the girls eyes grew large "she looks mean." Her voice loud enough to carry clearly to Indira.


"Shh" Randy admonished her "that's not nice." He tickled her hoping to distract the little girl from Indira's presence. As he settled his daughter into her car seat she announced for all to hear "I hungy."
"As soon as I take Indira home we'll get something to eat" he said before closing the door and walking around to the driver's seat.
"Doesn't that woman feed her?" Indira demanded her tone full of disapproval.
"Of course she does" Randy asserted "during regular hours."
Glancing at him in silence for several long seconds before asking "why do you take you daughter there? Surely there are better places..."
"Better places yes" Randy gripped the steering wheel as someone sped past him and into his lane "none I can afford though."
"What about your parents?" Indira asked "can't they help you? How about the mother?"
"My daughter is my responsibility" Randy mumbled "my parents offered to let me live with them until I got on my feet. Elissa's grandparents freaked out over the thought of her being raised in Moonlight Falls among what they consider freaks of nature."
"Why didn't you tell me you were married?" Indira demanded accusingly.

"Why? Jealous?" he asked keeping his eyes on the road and the heavy city traffic.
"Of course not" she rolled her eyes at the idea "you just seemed to have acquired a family awfully fast. It's been what two yeas since we lived together."
"We roomed together" Randy corrected "we never lived together." He glanced in the rear view mirror checking on his daughter "I was dating Elissa's mother while we were in college."
"So you were cheating on me all this time?" Indira accused her voice rising inside the car.
"Keep your voice down" Randy cautioned "I never cheated on you. We were never dating. I didn't think you liked me enough to call me a friend led alone your boyfriend."
"Then what do you call living together?" she demanded.
"We lived in the same house" Randy snarled "we never slept together. Hell we never spoke to each other accept to argue. That's not a relationship. That's two misfit roomies that didn't belong together."
"That's not how I saw it" she mumbled to herself glancing out the window.
"I'm sorry" Randy sighed beside her "I never even considered you might have liked me. Hell you hardly knew I existed."

Wiping a tear from her eye Indira asked "where's the mother? Waiting at home? Dinner on the table."
A long silence ensued following her question. "No" Randy said voice shaky "she passed away right after Elissa was born."
"I'm sorry" Indira said putting a hand lightly on his that was resting on the gear shifter "I didn't know."
"Yeah well new you do" Randy said gruffly "Elissa and I doing just fine." He sniffed parking in front of a building he couldn't hope to ever afford.
"Would you like to come in?" she asked "I'm not much of a cook as you know but I can make mac and cheese."
"I should get Elissa home" he stalled shaking his head.
"Daddy hungy" Elissa whined from the backseat "please."
"Please" Indira begged sticking her bottom lip out.
"Alright I know when I'm voted" Randy laughed wondering what he had just gotten himself into. Was it a good idea letting one of the most frustrating women he had ever known back into his life?



4 comments:

  1. Well, this is going to be quite a challenge for both Indira and Randy! He has to deal with her presence and she has to accept that her royal majesty isn't so royal after all. And if she wants anything with Randy, his daughter comes first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll see how well they succeed with the challenge. Randy is basically the only person Indira has ever partially listened to. This time however she has to fight for his attention. Elissa will always come first now. Randy isn't entirely sure he likes having to work with her majesty again. lol Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  2. I kind of feel really bad for Indira. She's not likable but I'm in her corner 100%. Like, I felt so bad for her when Emmy was telling at her even though I know that Indira is clearly the wrong one. Still, I like her a lot and I hope she gets a happy ending.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish I could say Indira appreciates the thought but you know she feels she doesn't need your support lol Indira brings a lot of things upon herself. She doesn't listen. She assumes things. She acts according to her assumptions which causes a lot of problems with the people around her. We'll see if she gets that happy ending you want for her. It's not out of the realm of possibility ;)
      Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete