Sunday, February 5, 2017

4.24 Making Adjustments


Zayne took a step back. Glanced out the window where the pseudo mutant zombie type creatures seemed to be dissipating. He glanced back towards the happy couple oohing and awing over their son. His eyes misted over taking his mind back to the day his son had been born. He blinked several times before glancing down at the soft touch on his forearm. He smiled down at Millie who was looking up at him in concern "what's wrong? Are those things getting inside the force field?"
"What?" he shook his head attempting to clear his mind from it's unsettling thoughts "no. They seem to be leaving."
"Then what?" she asked entwining her fingers with his.
"It's just...." he sighed  looking down at her "you know I love you right?"
"Of course" she leaned into him "never doubted it for a second."
"That boy" nodding towards Charlie "reminds me a lot of my son."
"But he's not, is he?" Millie asked eyes fixed on Zayne's face.
Shaking his head Zayne sighed his eyes full of sadness "wrong dimension. My Charlie. My Son died in a car accident."

"I'm sorry," Millie gently wiped away a tear that slid down his nose "this must be difficult for you." She kept her voice low to keep from disturbing the couple nearby. Her heart went out to Zayne. He seldom spoke of his other life preferring to keep both realities separate. "If you need to talk I'm here" she offered unsure what else she could do but listen.
Slipping an arm around her he gave her a tender kiss on her soft pliable lips. "I love you" he sighed pulling away when he noticed Charlie watching them.
"Um" Charlie mumbled looking away an awkward expression overwhelming the fatigue lines in his face. Closing his eyes he tried to tell himself the man in side the room with him was not his father. A stranger that resembled someone he once knew and loved. "Do you think you could help me move Andrew to the bed?" he asked once he had his feelings under control.
"Of course we will" Millie answered when the awkward silence in the room grew to long. Placing a hand on Zayne's cheek she whispered "talk to the boy. He's feeling as awkward as you are."

"Alright" Zayne nodded moving forward to help Charlie as he attempted to pick up Andrew but failing. "Here let me do that" he said pushing the boy away. He hoisted Andrew into his arms surprised at how little he weighed. With the boy in his arms he turned to Millie "you better see what we have around here to eat. This boy is practically skin and bones."
Nodding Millie moved towards the shabby cupboards in what was once a kitchen.
"There isn't much" Charlie said holding the baby "I was pretty low on provisions before you arrived." He followed Zayne into the bedroom "what can we use for a crib?"
Surveying the dismal room Zayne took one of the drawers from the old dresser emptying it's contents onto the floor. "For now he can sleep in here." He sifted through the moth eaten sweaters selecting a few to line the bottom of the old splinter drawer. He took an old t-shirt that was still intact and swaddled the baby in it. "It's not perfect but he won't fall out."
***

"Daddy" Emmaline cried running to Caleb's wide open arms "I missed you so much."
He petted her long soft pink tresses "I missed you too" he murmured holding her tight.
"I wish you could have come with us" she mumbled against his shoulder "mom and I had so many adventures searching for sunken treasures, mermaids and the lost city of Atlantis." Her words tumbled from her mouth making it difficult to follow her from thought to thought.
"It sounds like you had a wonderful time" he said watching her eyes sparkle with a renewed life "I'm sorry I missed out on all the fun."
"That's ok. I know you would have been there if you could have been" she assured him "they're not home yet are they?" she asked looking around.
Shaking his head Caleb sighed "I wish they were too sweetheart."

"I know daddy" she glanced over at her mom with a smile "we'll throw a huge party when they do come home, right?"
"Yes we will" Drew agreed absently trying to keep her voice cheery despite the disappointment that coursed through her. She had hoped the boys would be home. Had hoped despite knowing that Caleb would have told her if they were. She had hoped deep down that he had decided to surprise her with the news.
"I'm sorry" Caleb said pulling both his girls close "I hoped they'd be home by the time you came back."
"It's ok dad" Emmaline sniffed wiping at her eyes "we just have to be patient." Turning to her mom with a bright smile "I know what we can do while we wait. We can decorate the baby's room."
"The what?" Drew asked gasping in surprise.
"Dad didn't tell you?" Emmaline asked watching her dad slowly shake his head. Taking her mom's hand Emmaline explained "Andrew is pregnant. You should see how cute he is with his pregnant belly."

"I didn't know..." Drew took a deep breath closing her eyes "how is this even possible?"
Shrugging Emmaline continued "I don't know. Andrew thinks it has something to do with Grandpa being abducted by aliens. His genetics were altered."
"He thinks it's hereditary?" she asked astonished.
"Yeah it has be something like that since they've only ever done the deed once and that was before..." Emmaline's mouth snapped shut when she noticed her parents staring at her."Sorry it's just...I sort of interrupted them when we arrived in the future. While we were there they weren't allowed to be together." she shivered at the memories "it's not lie there were any doctors to confirm his theory. We were never alone for them to do anything there. So it had to be before they got whisked away to the future."
"We get the picture" Caleb assured her recovering from the shock first "besides it's not that unusual for men to have babies now. Not since that scientific break through a few years ago."
"But neither Andrew or Charlie had that procedure done," Drew pointed out "it must have been such a shock for them." Turning to Emmaline "you're sure he's pregnant and not something else."

"I'm sure" she said electing not to tell her how she knew or why she was so positive. It was already shock enough to know her son was pregnant with her first grandchild. She didn't need to know Andrew had been quarantined because of a mutant bite that he was immune to because of his ability to become pregnant.
Caleb put an arm around Drew "Emmie isn't making this up. Andrew is pregnant. Quinn told me."
It was Emmaline's turn to be shocked. Her dad had kept something from her mom. That was practically unheard of. "I'm going inside" she said thinking they needed time alone to talk.
"Emmie" Drew called after her "make a list of everything you think they will need for the baby. Tomorrow we'll start on the baby room."
"Ok mom" Emmaline agreed as she opened the door leaving her parents alone together.
***

"I thought you said you were low on provisions" Millie accused when Charlie limped into view.
"I was" he said staring in disbelief at the full cupboard of canned goods. "I mentioned to Quinn I need to go on a supply run before she left setting up the force field. That was the last time I checked. There was no point. I couldn't do anything about it."
"Well it's obvious she meant for you to survive with the amount of food she has stored in here" Millie said with a chuckle "I'll make an inventory and get something going for breakfast."
"Thank you" Zayne said giving her a quick kiss before turning to Charlie "if you're feeling up to it I have a few questions."
"Aren't you tired?" Charlie asked hoping to stall for time.
Shrugging Zayne said "I'm used to going for days at a time without sleep."
Opening the front door Charlie walked out onto the front porch. He waited for Zayne to join him. He could see the older man's hesitancy "it's ok. The mutant's don't seem to notice as long as the force field stays in place and we stay relatively quiet."
"That's good to know" Zayne said looking uneasily at the glowing red eyes as they passed in the dark "where are your parents?"
"If you're asking if we were born here in this hell hole then no we weren't" Charlie chuckled "Andrew and I belong to the past."

"You're time travelers?" Zayne asked sounding incredulous.
"Why is that so hard to believe?" Charlie wanted to know "you traveled through dimensions."
"True" Zayne acknowledged "why haven't you just gone back to your own time?"
"I wish we could" Charlie sighed leaning his head back "Andrew and I didn't even know what was happening until we were dumped here. Emmaline and her cousins were experimenting with time travel and well we're here with no way of getting  home."
"So you being here was an accident" Zayne stated noting the brief glimpse of grief in the boys blue eyes "I take it this Emmaline didn't make it."
"I don't know," Charlie whispered "I was hurt at the time. Andrew was pregnant." He ran a hand through his hair "she went out on a supply run and never came back." He looked off into the distance "Quinn said she sent her home..."
"You don't believe her?" Zayne asked "from what I've observed she seemed to genuinely want to help you. It's seems probable Quinn is able to do what she said she did."
"I'm beginning to believe that" Charlie sniffed "it's just been so long. Almost eight months since" He hung his head trying to control the tears "the baby. It's too early. Several weeks early."
"He's survived this long" Zayne encouraged "you have to believe he'll continue to do so." Sitting this close to the boy he was astonished to see how young he was "how old are you?

"Nineteen almost twenty" Charlie wiped his eyes "Andrew is a couple of months younger. We were supposed to be in college not here in this awful place."
Zayne nodded "I'm here if you want someone to talk to." He noticed the half desperate half puzzled look on Charlie's face before he said "you look so much like my dad I have to keep reminding myself you're not him. No matter how much I wish it were otherwise."
"It it makes you feel better" Zayne offered watching the flickering force field "I have to do the same with you. You're not my son even though you look like him."
"What happened to him?" Charlie asked watching the older man closely.
"He died" Zayne said softly "he had just gotten his driver's license. We were spending the summer in Sunlit Tides."
"He took a corner a little too fast losing control of the car" Charlie finished for him "something similar happened to me but for whatever reason the car caught on a tree long enough for me to get out before it tumbled the rest of the way down the cliff." He shivered remembering how close he had come to dying that day "I still don't know how I got out."
"I'd like believe my Charlie tried to do the same" Zayne sniffed "what about your parents. I'm sure they're worried about you."
Charlie shook his head "Andrew's family is my the only family I have now. My parents are both dead. Mom died in a boating accident shortly after I was born." He blinked back tears gulping in air "dad was killed in the line of duty protecting his partner. It's been almost two years now."
"It's sounds like our dimensions were pretty similar" Zayne observed "this the third dimension I've been in. Mine, Millie's and now yours."

"Don't you get confused?" Charlie asked.
"I don't let the details bother me," Zayen leaned back closing his eyes "although it was disconcerting seeing you here. I thought I'd died or something."
"I felt the same" Charlie sighed "I know you're not my dad but would you mind if..."
"I adopted you?" Zayne finished "I don't mind. My girls would love to have an older brother. Just give me time to explain things to Millie."
"Sure" Charlie nodded "once we get home you'll need to talk to Caleb. He's not from this dimension either."
"Whose Caleb?" Zayne asked.
"Caleb Gray. He's Andrew's father" Charlie informed him yawning.
"You better go inside and get some more rest" Zayne suggested "that mutant poison has taken a lot out of you."
Nodding Charlie did as he was told not having the energy to protest. Zayne stayed outside thinking over everything he had learned. He remembered meeting Caleb Gray in his own dimension as well as Millie's. He couldn't hep but wonder if this Caleb Gray was the same. He put his fingers to his temples kneading them as he felt a headache coming on. Charlie was right jumping from dimension to dimension was confusing.
***


"Let daddy sleep" Millie told the little pink haired girl.
"No" the toddler whined "want daddy."
Millie put her hands on her hips staring down at her daughter "daddy needs to sleep. He'll play with you later."
"No now" Jordyn whined giving her dad's shoulder a push.
"Come on" Harmony said taking her sister's hand leading her away from Zayne "let's play patty cake."
"No" Jordyn cried crossing her arms tears threatening to flow at any moment.

Startled they looked up as the bedroom door opened and Andrew staggered out holding the baby. "You shouldn't be up" Millie scolded.
"I couldn't lay in there any longer listening to Charlie snore" Andrew attempted to joke "besides this little guy's hungry." He looked at Millie imploring her to help him "I don't know what to do."
"Well" Millie took a moment to mentally review what they had available for a newborn to eat. Shaking her head she said "you must be able to nurse. After all you're equipped with everything else you need to have a baby."
Andrew grunted in dismay giving her an appalled look. Glancing at the baby in his arms and his pinched little face and bunched up little fists he asked "how do I do that?"
Zayne sat up rubbing his slipped dazed eyes "why don't I take the girls outside so you can help the boy with what he needs to do" he suggested.
"Is it safe to go outside?" she asked fear causing her voice to rise.

"As long as we stay behind the force field we should be ok," Zayne said "we'll stay on the porch just in case."
Harmony covered her face with her hands "I don't want to go out there. Please daddy don't make."
Gently he took her hand "Harmony it's ok. The bad things won't get you. I promise. I'll protect you."
Slowly she removed her hands from her face "you promise?" she asked searching his face for reassurance.
"Of course sweetie," Zayne patted her head "I'll always protect you."
When they left Millie gestured towards the couch "let's see what you've got." She laughed at the horrified look that came over Andrew's face. "I didn't mean it like that," she amended realizing the boy was as shy as he appeared to be "there's really nothing to it."
***

Once Andrew had gotten the hang of nursing the baby he smiled "it's weird and natural at the same time. Thanks" he said burping the baby the way Millie showed him "this is all so new to me. I don't know what I would have done if you weren't here."

"You would have figured it out. It's new to every parent at some point. The next one will be  easier" she assured him.
Shaking his head Andrew sighed "one is enough," he murmured gazing in the eyes of his newborn son "especially in this place. I hoped we'd be home by now. She promised..." his voice faded away "i was so sure she could be trusted."
"She who?" Millie asked "Quinn?"
"You've met her?" Andrew asked.
"We met" Millie nodded "she saved our lives when we arrived here. I think" she paused patting Andrew's hand "she used a lot of power siphoning the mutant poison from Charlie's blood that she may not have been able to send you home."

"What are you saying exactly?" Andrew asked frustration rising his clipped words and tense muscles.
"I think she needed to recharge" Millie gave him a reassuring smile "I think she needs a lot of energy to send all of us to your time."
"So you think she'll come back" Andrew said searching her face for reassurance.
Millie smiled "I do." She watched the fear drain from his face making him look even younger and more vulnerable than he did before.For whatever reason he reminded her of someone she once knew "do you know a Jeffrey Bennett?" She didn't know why she asked him. It was just a feeling that it was somehow important.
"I have an Uncle named Jeffrey Bennett" he smiled as he went on to answer her many questions she had about his family.
***

Quinn woke with a start feeling disoriented like large chunks of time had passed. She could feel the power within her humming along at full strength. Something she had missed for several weeks. It felt good to be refreshed even though she had no clear recollection how she had gotten back to her safe haven or how long she had slept.
She felt revived. Ready to tackle the mounting problems her dimension faced. The beacon was set ready to adjust the future as the past is changed. Everything was in place to begin. It was time to make good on her promise. She closed her eyes squeezing them tight a sound like sizzling live wires of electricity filled the room. Falling to the floor breathing hard she smiled "it's done" she gasped dragging herself to the bed sleep overtaking her once again.

4 comments:

  1. I guess she finally sent them home? The Bennet-Grays will be overjoyed to have all the kids back again.
    As for Charlie's and Zayne's relationship, it's nice to see they're figuring things out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What do you mean you guess? Where else would Quinn send them? I guess it's not completely clear and you'll find out for sure next chapter. Yes Caleb/Drew will be ecstatic to have them home.
      Charlie and Zayne are coming to a new understanding and developing a relationship with each other. I think it'll be good them.
      Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  2. Time travelling/ dimension jumping IS confusing, I totally agree haha. They'll get the hang of it soon lol It is my Caleb, right? But he'd not traveled to my dimension yet, or is time and dimensions not correlated? I confuse myself sometimes too lol Either way they're going home now which is good. I really like the name Gabriel for their baby btw

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is your Caleb in my dimension. Remember this Zayne and Millie are from the alternate dimension where Jeff and Char had a human child resulting in her death. Well technically since they're still in the future Caleb is already dead and in your dimension. But we won't worry about that since they're going back to their own time now. Don't worry I confuse myself too. Gabriel is going to be the complete opposite of Andrew when he gets older. Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete