Sunday, April 9, 2017

4.29 Falling Apart



Indira splashed water on her face hoping the cold would refresh her or at least wake her up. This was the third time this week she had woken up to an upset stomach. She hated the cold clammy sensation that made her feel light headed and sick. Being sick was a weakness she couldn't afford. At least not while she was in the middle of negotiations of a huge take over bid.
A soft knock on the door alerted her that she wasn't alone. The door opened a crack "honey are you alright?" she smiled at the concern she heard in his voice. It took every ounce of will power not to snap at him. She hated being made to feel weak.
"I'm fine" she said her voice brittle like broken glass.
Randy frowned standing behind her. Hair tousled from sleep. He looked years younger then his twenty-five years. "Are you ill?" he asked ignoring her unpleasant tone and curling upper lip "you're awfully pale. Maybe you should stay at home..."
"Absolutely not" she snapped "you know how busy I am."


Randy threw his hands in the air as he walked from the room "have it your way" he mumbled slamming the door behind him.
Two years she thought in irritation. Two years they had been married and still he hadn't figured out her priority would always be the job. Not him. Not Elissa. The job. She glared at her reflection in the mirror. Even her eyes seemed to be mocking her. Telling her the truth she didn't want to hear. A truth she didn't want nor accepted. "Don't say it" she snarled at herself.
"Who are you talking to?" a little girl asked
Turning Indira found herself staring down at a beautiful little girl. "Elissa how many times have I told you not to come in here?"
Shrugging Elissa ignored her questions "the door was open. You were talking."
Clenching her teeth on the rising scream she stormed past the girl. Glancing at the time she announced to everyone and no one in general "I'm going to be late."
***

Going downstairs Elissa climbed into her dad's lap "she's angry again."
"I know pumpkin" he kissed the top of her head "I'm sorry."
Elissa nodded "will you do my hair?"
"Of course sweetie" he said putting her on the floor "get the brush and whatever else you want me to use in your hair. I'll make my little princess beautiful."
Elissa giggled running a few steps towards her room. Stopped turning she smiled "love you daddy."
"Love you too" he smiled "now go get your stuff." It had been a long time since he'd seen her so carefree and happy. Indira's increasing moodiness had dampened everyone's joy. Elissa had always been sensitive to others feelings now she had nearly become a mere shadow of her former happy self.

She reappeared a few minutes later with the hair accessories she wanted for the day. Randy looked at the assortment of bows, ribbons and barrettes. "you want all of that in your hair today?" he asked dismayed trying to figure out how he was going to incorporate it all.
Nodding with enthusiasm Elissa handed him the brush "please daddy" she batted her eyes at him.
It was something she had obviously picked up from Indira. No doubt his sweet little girl was picking up on a few other things he wasn't going to like. "Ok let's see what I can do" he said as he brushed her long silky strands.
Indira came into the kitchen when Randy was brushing Elissa's hair. A look of distaste upon her face. "Must you do that in here?" she demanded.
"Daddy doesn't mind" Elissa replied giving her step mom a severe frown.
"I mind" Indira snapped "you'll get hair into everything."

"It'll be ok" Randy said in a resigned tone "I'll clean it up." He pulled Elissa's hair into a high pony tale fixing one of the hair bands she had chosen.
"The bus is here" Indira advised grabbing her portfolio.
"You better hurry sweetheart" Randy said kissing his daughter goodbye.
"Bye daddy" she called running for the door.
"I'll be late" Indira informed him as she followed Elissa to the door.
***

Randy shrugged. Indira being late was nothing new. If she were anyone else he might think she was cheating. The only thing she'd cheat on him with was her job. She had climbed the corporate ladder like a ruthless tigress. Anyone standing in her way was torn to shreds without a second thought.
That unfortunately included him. He thought the plan was to hide their relationship until one of them had found a position at another firm. Instead Randy found himself up for promotion. A position Indira coveted. Next thing he knew he was being called into the managers office to be fired. He had no proof that Indira had anything to do with it but he had his suspicions. Before his mind could travel down that well worn path his phone rang.
"Hello" he said cautiously into the phone "oh hey dad."
"Is everything alright?" Quinten asked picking up on the despondent tone in his son's voice
"I'm fine" Randy repeated hoping his dad would just accept it.

"I know better than that" Quinten said "I can hear it in your voice."
He could feel his reserves crumbling at the concern in his father's voice "you were right. It was a mistake to marry her."
There was a long heavy silence before Quinten asked "do you want to talk about it."
"No" Randy murmured "I need to."
"Tell me son" Quinten spoke with gentle assurance "why did you marry her?"

He released an explosive sigh "it's a long story."
"I'm all ears" Quinten joked "seriously son I always wondered. She was so brash and headstrong."
"Dad I" he choked back a sob "I think I made a horrible mistake. I thought I was doing the right thing."
"Son" Quinten broke into the stream of words "why did you marry her?"
"Elissa's grandparents we're coming after me for child custody claiming I was an unfit parent. I panicked and took some very bad advice from my lawyer. He said I needed to get married. Indira was the only person I knew long enough I could remotely see myself marrying. Dad I really liked her..."
***

Indira stood in the entryway frozen listening to Randy's quiet voice as he spoke to his dad on the phone. Normally she would just go about her business regardless  of what he was doing. Not today. Today she was paralyzed with fear. Fear that she had finally stepped over the line. She had come inside after realizing she had left a key portion of her presentation on her desk. She had time to retrieve it as she always left early enough to never be late despite her assurances she was going to be late.
Her breathing stopped as Randy said the dreaded 'D' word. Divorce. The very word felt like doom and gloom. Had she really been that bad to live with? She thought things were going along well enough.
She must have made a noise to alert Randy to her presence. He looked up shock in his eyes "Indira" he said "I thought you had already left."
"I forgot some papers" she quickly turned retreating into her office.
Following her Randy asked "how much did you hear?"
"Enough" she snapped gathering her materials. Her papers visibly shook in her hands as she stuffed them into her portfolio. "I need to leave" she said moving toward the door.
"We need to talk" Randy said blocking the door.

"I think you've said plenty already" she snapped "get out of my way."
"No" Randy crossed his arms "we need to talk about what you think you heard."
"You want a divorce" her voice rose as anger replaced her fear "draw up the papers. I'll sign them."
"Please Indira it was a passing thought" Randy tried to explain "our relationship hasn't been good in a long time."
She glared at him "don't you think I know that? You want out. I get that. I don't want to be married to you either." Her pulse quickened as she felt hot tears burning the back's of her eyes. Taking a deep breath she frowned at Randy pushing whatever feelings she had for him to the back of her mind "get out of my way. I need to get to work."
"Fine you always did love your job more than me" he stepped aside knowing it was pointless to say anything more when Indira was like this. He had always known she'd choose her position over her family.
She stomped from the room slamming the door behind her. Her anger lasted until she got into her car. Shaking she gripped the steering wheel as the tears burst from the dam she kept them walled behind. The only person who had ever cared didn't want her. Was she really that bad of a person?
***

"Guess who?" a voice asked as hands covered her eyes from behind.
She stifled the urge to deck the annoying individual covering her eyes. "Nathan you know I don't like it when you do that," her voice was gruff with annoyance.
"Sorry " his usually happy demeanor slipped a little "I forgot."
Taking his hand Emmaline stood up "it's not your fault I'm a grumpy bear." She let him pull her into a hug. She leaned into him enjoying the comfort of his strong arms wrapped around her. it wasn't his fault that she had an aversion to surprises. She hated to have anyone sneak up behind her. Put their hands on her. Nathan had been lucky she hadn't hit him.
"What are you thinking?" he asked his voice gentle contrite "I know better than that. I'm sorry."
Turning in his arms she gave him a beautiful smile "I was thinking that you're pretty lucky that I didn't hit you." She reached up to mess up his hair knowing that would irritate him the most.
"Hey not the hair" he ducked from her hands "I had it just the way I wanted it."
"Don't pout" Emmaline laughed "you spend way too much time on it as it is."

"It was perfect" he whined "now I'll have to redo it before I go to class."
"Oh" she teased eyes sparkling "is there a special someone you want to impress?"
"Now that you mention it" he grinned walking backwards from the room "there is someone."
"Mrs. Hammond" Emmaline said her voice serious "I always knew you liked them old."
"Older wiser more mature" he agreed keeping his voice carefully modulated "not ancient old hags though." His face screwed up in disgust "that's just gross."
"She's not that bad" Emmaline protested.
"For a dried up old prune you mean" Nathan laughed "good thing my heart belongs to another"
"Go fix your hair"she shook her head at him as she watched him run up the stairs.
***

"You study too much" Nathan complained later that day.
"I have a paper to write and an exam to study for" Emmaline replied unmoved by his unspoken plea. She kept her eyes glued to the book she was reading "it's not my fault you took all the easy classes."
"Hey" he growled somewhat offended "I'm a jock not a lightweight. Not all my classes are easy."
"Then why don't you ever study?" she asked eyes still on her book.
"I do" he slumped back in his chair "I'm naturally a genius and I don't need to study as much as you."
She glanced up at him "I've seen your test scores. You're not a genius."
"That's vicious" he scowled at her "tell me again why I like you?"
Putting her book down she gave him an impish grin "I tell you the way it is. Not what you want to hear."

His lips twitched. She had him dead to rights. He liked her sassy take no prisoners attitude. It was one of the things that intrigued him about her. He had plenty of girls falling all over him. Telling him how awesome he was. How cute he was. A hundred other things meant to flatter him and inflate his ego. None of those girls were capable of holding his interest. They weren't the challenge he thirsted for. "Let's do something" he blurted without thinking.
Emmaline's hands hovered above her book "I should study..." even to her ears she didn't sound that convincing.
His eyes sparkled sensing victory "you can study later."
She thumbed through the pages looking for her spot. The chapter was highlighted, notes filled the margins. She even had an outline of the important points. What she was doing was more of a review to keep the information fresh in her head. The exam wasn't scheduled until next week. She could afford to relax. She looked into his eyes "what do you have in mind?" She closed her book laying it aside.
Nathan's smile grew to encompass his entire face "how about dinner and a movie?"
"Not Netflix and chill?" she asked a mischievous glimmer in her light green eyes.
"If I thought you'd go for it I'd have suggested" he said without thinking.
"Maybe next time" she stood up to gather her things "give me an hour to get ready."
***


After their rather rushed meal at the local diner they sat watching previews in the darkened movie theater. "That zombie movie looks cool." Nathan enthused putting an arm around her shoulders. Her shoulder was stiff and he felt the tension in her muscles "are you alright?"
Emmaline closed her eyes concentrating on breathing. She felt Nathan's arm around her. It felt like a lead weight holding her down. She wanted to run. To fight. Scream. Anything but sit there and watch  her nightmare come to life before her eyes. She shivered as memories encroached upon her. The screams. The blood. The terror. It was too much. Too real. "I'm sorry" she cried jumping to her feet. Pushing past him she stumbled into the aisle making a beeline for the exit.
"Emmie" Nathan called after her. It was shocking to see the normally self contained  young woman this upset. Feeling somewhat out of his depth he followed her from the theater. He found her outside huddled on a bench. Kneeling on the cold cement he looked up at her "Emmie tell me what's wrong?"
She took a few deep breaths to calm herself. It didn't work at least not for long. The bottled up tears kept flowing. "I'm sorry" she cried "you must think I'm an idiot."
"No I..." he sighed reviewing events as they happened in his mind. She seemed ok until the..."does this have anything to do with the zombie movie?"
She clasped her hands together on her lap. Hair hanging in her face she nodded repeating "I'm sorry."
Wrapping his hands around her he shook his head "there's no need to be sorry. If I had lived through what you did I'd be feeling the same way as you." How could he have been so insensitive? He knew about the mutants. At first he hadn't believed her. Who would? A tale of traveling to the future. Mutants. It was like every movie he'd ever seen. He knew Emmaline wasn't the kind to make things up or dramatize things so he knew she was telling the truth. Knowing their evening was ruined he pulled her to her feet "come on let's go home." He lightly kissed her forehead before guiding her towards the parking lot.
***

Gabriel stomped into his room. A stormy look in his light blue eyes "stupid teachers. Stupid school. Stupid vocabulary words," he muttered tossing his back pack on the bed. A suppressed giggled had him jerking his chin up in the direction of the noise.
He glared at the green skinned woman standing in the far corner of his room. "Who are you?" he demanded hands on hips.
"I'm Quinn" she replied with an amused smile.
"You're not supposed to be in here"  he said backing towards the door "I'm telling my dads."


"I thought you were braver than that" Quinn said almost mocking him "aren't time travelers supposed to be fearless?"
His eyes narrowed "they're supposed to be smart" he eyed the woman with distrust "it's not smart to trust strangers."
"Would it help if I said I know your parents?" she asked relaxing against the wall.
"No" he crossed his arms "you could just be saying you know them. You'd say that if you wanted me to relax my guard. Then you'd be able to kidnap me or something." He nodded as if coming to a decision "I may be a kid but I'm not stupid." He turned quickly running from the room calling for his parents.
Quinn watched him go a smile spreading across her face "he'll make a good time traveler. Brave smart and fearless." Now all she had to do was convince his parents he was the one.

4 comments:

  1. If Indira did really sabotage Randy's job, she really does have her priorities messed up. Although, marrying her for custody of Eliza was probably not a good idea either.
    I'm glad Emmaline found someone good.
    And Gabe is definitely going to make an interesting heir.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indira does have her priorities messed up but it may not be as simple as that. You'll learn more in an upcoming chapter. Randy did have ulterior motives in marrying Indira but he wouldn't have done if he hadn't had feelings for her. It's complicated.
      Nathan is really good for Emmaline.
      Gabe is an interesting mix of his parents and I'm looking forward to the start of Gen 5.
      Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  2. Indira...But, I feel her a bit. What Randy said was kind of harsh. He did like her but he married her for a way out. Not the way to go :/ Not that anything she's done is good. Emmaline and Nathan are cute but I read the mutant thing will haunt her forever:/ Quinn​!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But it was the truth as he saw it. If she had been willing to talk to him things wouldn't have gotten so bad. They are both to blame for things going wrong between them. Emmie and Nathan are good together. Well living through something like that would effect a person. Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete