Thursday, March 17, 2016

3.26 Time Marches On - Finale


Emmaline stared out the window towards the ocean. She wanted to go to the beach. They promised they'd go to the beach someday. But someday never came. Her parents were too busy with their careers. Mommy was painting and preparing for her next gallery showing and Daddy was on tour. She wanted to go with him. See all the different places he got to go to. But no she had to go to school. She hated school. Sighing she knew she could ask Andy or Indy to take her to the beach but they were always busy with their friends.

She turned from the window. She decided to go outside where her mom was painting on the patio.
"Mom," she said as she approached.

Turning at the sound of her daughter's voice Drew smiled down at the little girl. "Why are you in your swim suit Emma?"

"I want to go to the beach," she replied "you promised...."

"Oh honey I'm sorry," Drew bit her lower lip "not today. Maybe tomorrow, ok?"


"But you said that yesterday," she whined.

"I know I did but I have to finish these paintings before I can do anything else" Drew said turning back to her canvas. "Maybe your sister or brother will take you," she suggested to the sullen child.

Nodding Emmaline turned from her and trudged back inside the house. She burst into her older sisters bedroom without knocking. "Indy, Indy," she called trying to get her sister's attention from whoever she was talking to on the phone.

"Get out," Indira snarled at her pointing towards the door.

"Mom says you can take me to the beach," she informed her.


"Oooh I'm so excited....not," she shoved the girl out the door saying to whoever was on the other end "she's such a pest."

"Meanie," Emmaline screamed while kicking at the closed door.

"Hey what's up short stuff?" Andrew asked as he came out of his room.

"I want to go to the beach," she turned away head hanging low "everyone is always too busy to take me."

"Well today is your lucky day," Andrew smiled down at her "I'm on my way there to meet some friends. If you want you can tag along. I won't mind but" he stared down at her with a serious expression as she started to jump with excitement "you have to promise to be good and do everything I tell you."


"I promise," she squealed giving him a hug "you're the best big brother ever."

Indira poked her head out of her room "did I hear you say you were going to the beach?"

"Yeah" Andrew told her warily.

"Can I come?" she asked

"No," Emmaline told her.


"I wasn't asking you," she scowled down at her sister "Please Andy I won't get in the way."

"I asked Emmy to come with me," Andy winked at his little sister "sorry sis."

"You're you're impossible," she screamed slamming her door shut.

"Emma go pack a bag with extra clothes and beach towels while I go tell mom where we're going," Andrew said.

"Alright Andy" she gave him a mega watt smile as she skipped to do as she was told.

***


"Mom," Andrew said approaching her as she painted on the patio facing the ocean. "I'm going to the beach to meet up with some friends."

Nodding she looked up at him shading her eyes from the sun "have fun and be home by supper."

"I will" he made to turn then added "I'm taking Emmaline with me."

"Thank you dear," she said putting her paint brush down to give him a hug "she's been wanting to go for days and I  haven't had the time."

"I know..."


"Mom" Indira called as she came hurrying from the house "tell Andy to let me come too."

"You didn't even want to go until you fond out I was going," Andrew growled at her "Mom don't let her. She already told Emmaline no and she pushed out of her room."

"She didn't even knock," she protested.

"So that gave you the right to be mean to her," Andy shook his head "unbelievable."

"Hush you two," Drew scolded "your both acting like two year olds. Act your age."


"But mom she only wants to come because she knows Charlie is going to be there," Andrew protested.

"He's so cute," she trilled turning bright red when she realized what she had said.

"Mom she'll embarrass me," Andrew pleaded "make her stay home."

"Mom my friends are going to be there too" she argued "why do I have to stay home when Emmaline gets to go?"

"You can go only if you agree to watch your little sister. Make sure she doesn't get too much sun or goes swimming by herself," Drew told her.


"But Mom she'll destroy all my fun," she argued "why can't Andrew watch her?"

"Because you're the one inviting yourself on you're brothers outing," Drew tried to reason with her "that's your only option Indira. Watch your sister or stay at home."

"Fine I'll watch her," she grumbled as she ran into the house to get ready.

"She's such a drama queen," Andrew said as watched her go.

"She's what every teen girl is like when they have a crush," Drew laughed at his look of disgust and gave him another hug.

***


"Hey short stuff what are you doing?" Andrew asked as he came up along side her. He had noticed that Indira had abandoned the little girl in favor of talking with her current crush.

Shrugging Emmaline muttered "I'm looking for shells."

"Mind if I join you?" he asked scooping up a shell from the wet sand.

"If you want to," the girl said "you don't have to."

"Now why wouldn't I want to spend time with my sister?" he asked kneeling beside her.

"I thought you might want to be with your friends" she smiled up at him "Indy complained the entire time she was with me. Aren't you afraid you'll miss out on something fun?"


"Nope because I'm having fun with you," he handed her another shell "have you gone swimming yet?"

Shaking her head "no Indira didn't want to mess up her hair and makeup."

"Unless you want to hunt for shells let's go swimming."

"Really?" she asked almost dropping her pail.

"Hey careful you'll lose all your hard work," Andrew told her taking the pail from her and putting it beside their beach towels. He took her hand and ran with her towards the water

***


"So Charlie are you going to stay here and go to school?" Indira asked him twisting her hair around her fingers.

"So far it's just for the summer. Dad has some academy training to do and then we're going home to Bridgeport," Charlie told her.

"You know you could stay with us. Your Dad's partner is my Uncle." Indira informed him batting her eyelashes at him.

"Yeah I know," Charlie said scanning the crowd looking for Andrew. He had promised him Indira wouldn't be here today. Now he was having to listen to her talk his ear off. He sighed in relief when he spotted his friend splashing around in the ocean with his little sister. "Hey let's go swimming," he suggested to everyone within hearing distance.

Grabbing his hand as he turned to follow Indira said "not so fast. We're not finished talking."

"Oh sorry," he blushed as he turned to face her resisting the urge to just keep going "what were we discussing?" His eyes followed as everyone raced past to the water. "Don't you want to go swimming? It's kind of hot..."

"I don't want to get wet," she told him.

He gave her an astonished look "but isn't that the point of going to the beach?"


She frowned up at him "I spent a lot of time doing my hair and makeup. Why would I want to mess it all up by going swimming?"

"Because it's fun," he said grinning. He grabbed her and threw her across his shoulders and ran towards the water.

"Put me down," she demanded when she realized what he was up to "put me down. I don't want to get wet."

Ignoring her he ran into the ocean and dived into the cold water soaking them both. She came up screaming mascara running down her face, hair dripping. "You freaking idiot," she cried. To her astonishment her cries were met with laughter. She turned to Charlie "you ruined everything."

At a loss he mumbled "I'm sorry. I just....I'm sorry." He looked up to find Andrew beside them laughing.

"Dude don't worry about it. She's a pain," Andrew told him.

Indira turned to Andrew demanding "I want to go home...now."

"You know the way," he told her determined she wasn't going to spoil his fun.


"You cretin," she screamed stumping away.

"Yeah and if you weren't such a snob a little water wouldn't bother you," he hollered after her followed by gales of laughter.

"Charlie where are you going?" Andrew asked when his friend turned to follow her.

"I can't let her go home by herself," Charlie told him.

"She'll be fine" Andrew insisted losing his smile "but ah heck you're right. Mom will kill me if I let her go home by herself." Turning to Emmaline "short stuff it's time to go."

"Alright," she said trudging from the water and went to get their things.

"I really should go with her," Charlie suggested following Andrew "It's my fault that she's leaving."

Shaking his head Andrew chuckled "you do realize that's what she wants don't you?"



Shrugging "yeah but what else can I do?"

"She's my sister I'll take her home" looking after her retreating figure as it went into the public bathroom. "I'll talk some sense into her."

"Don't be mean," Charlie insisted "I'm just not interested in her."

"Don't worry I'll be gentle. Let her down easy," Andy assured him. "Just don't muddy the water by going after her. She'll never believe me if you do that."

"I know it's just..." he looked over his shoulder at everyone splashing around having fun "I wanted to have some fun. All she wanted to do was talk and have me admire her."

"Dude that was epic though," Andrew laughed "not even I would have thrown her into the water and I'm her brother. I'm supposed to do stuff like that."

"Andy I've got everything," Emmaline said coming up to him.

"Thanks short stuff," he took the bundles "would you mind going into the bathroom and telling your sister we're ready to go?"

Frowning she sighed "I'd rather not but I will."

***


"What do you want?" Indira demanded when Emmaline walked in

"Andy's ready to go" she informed her. She half turned to the door when she said "you really don't look that bad."

"Sniffing Indira dabbed at her eyes "your just saying that."

Emmaline took a hesitant step forward "no I'm not. You look better without all that make up on."

"Just wait until your my age," Indira told her "you'll want to wear makeup too."

"I don't think so," the little girl declined "why do you wear it?"

"To look better," Indira laughed "it enhances my eyes and guys like it."


"Why?" Emmaline asked stepping closer "Charlie didn't seem to care much for it otherwise he wouldn't have thrown you into the ocean."

"Charlie's an idiot," she said glaring at her reflection in the mirror "I don't want to talk about him."

"I thought you liked him."

"I did but not now," she declared "he's just a stupid boy." Turning to the girl "how do I look?"

"Better," Emmaline told her wrapping her arms around her sister "I'm sorry Charlie threw you in the ocean."

Squeezing her sister Indira sighed "so am I but Dad would say there's plenty of fish in the sea."

"Fish?" Emmaline asked confused.

"You know boys," Indira laughed at her look of disgust "one day they won't be so yucky."


"If you say so," she said doubtfully "are you ready to go?"

Looking in the mirror one last time "yeah I'm ready."

Coming out they found Andrew waiting for them by the bikes. "Don't talk to me," Indira advised him.

"I did try to tell you," Andy said getting on his bike.


"I know," she sighed looking out towards the ocean "I should have listened before I made a complete fool of myself."

"Don't worry about it," Andy said leaning on the bike rack "come Monday every one will have forgotten about it."

"I know" she sighed taking one last glimpse at Charlie splashing with their friends in the water.

"He's sorry you know," Andrew told her "it's just you weren't listening and he was desperate..."

"So he decided to dunk me in the ocean," she finished for him "I guess I was coming on a little strong."

"Ya think?"

"Oh stop it," she cried pouring on the speed "last one home's a rotten egg."

"Come on short stuff" he encouraged going faster but making sure Emmaline was able to keep up.

***


Emmaline woke up early and walked out into the living room to watch some cartoons. She stopped rubbing her eyes when the front door opened. "Daddy," she cried running to him.

Caleb scooped her up into a bear hug. "Emmaline it's so good to see you," he said swinging her around.

"Are you home for good?" she asked when he put her down.

"For a couple of days," he told her. Looking around he asked "where's everyone?"

"Sleeping," she told him.

"Why aren't you sleeping?" he asked her.



Shrugging "I woke up early and wanted to watch cartoons."

"How about you help me make Mommy breakfast in bed?" he suggested instead.

"Pancakes. Let's make pancakes" she suggested giggling as she took his hand and dragged him towards the kitchen.

While they were busy cooking Indira and Andrew made there way into the kitchen. "Dad you're home," they said together.

"I wouldn't miss your sixteenth birthday now would I?" Caleb asked as they rushed to give  him a hug.

"This is the best present ever," Andrew enthused.


"It could be better if there were two new cars in the garage," Indira hinted.

"Is your mother up yet?" Caleb asked ignoring her. 

Andrew rolled his eyes at him "Dad you know she always waits for you to bring her breakfast."

"We'll even clean up the kitchen for you" Indira offered "so you can have some alone time. If you know what I mean."

Blushing Caleb nodded "I know what you mean. I just didn't think it was so obvious."

"We're not blind."

"Or deaf," Indira added accompanied by her brother's giggles.


Looking around at everyone Emmaline asked "what are you guys talking about?"

"We'll tell you later?" Andrew told her.

"No you won't," Caleb said.

Putting his hands up "alright we won't but she's going to figure it out sooner or later. Like we did," 
Andrew said.

"I'd prefer it to be later," Caleb said "while your mom is eating breakfast in bed why don't you guys check out what's in the garage." He tossed them each a set of keys.

"You got us cars," Indira shouted running towards the door.

"Hey wait" Andrew told her "we can't even drive yet. We only have our permits."

"I know," Caleb said with a smile "the driving will have to wait until your Mom and I have 
breakfast." He picked up the tray and walked away humming.

***


Drew was waiting for him as he slipped into the room. She shook her head at him as he juggled the tray of pancakes. "You know you don't have to make me breakfast. The kids know..."

"All of them except Emmaline," he acknowledged.

"Oh I wouldn't be so sure about that," Drew said wrapping her arms around him.

"Let me keep my fantasy" he said kissing her soft lips "you have no idea how much I've wanted to do that."

"I hate it when you're gone," she said letting him pick her up and carry her to the bed "how did the kids like their presents?"

"I'm sure they're anxious for us to emerge from our room to take them for a drive," Caleb said as he made progress down her chin to her neck kissing and nibbling as he went.

"Is that why your in such a hurry," she gasped as he bit her neck making her pulse quicken.



No" he mumbled coming back up to her mouth "I've just missed you so much..."

"I've missed you to" she said pulling his shirt over his head. She ran her fingers down his back eliciting a moan from him.

Once they had satisfied their desires for each other they lay in each others arms. "We should get dressed" Drew murmured.

"I know, the kids have been unusually quiet," Caleb kissed her cheek.

Stretching languidly next to him "we never did eat that breakfast you work so hard on."

Chuckling softly "I guess we didn't." He kissed her again putting a little more passion into it. "I had something else I was more hungry for than food."

Arching an eyebrow at him "I wonder what that could be?" Laughing as he rolled her over.

"Let me demonstrate...."

***


"Short stuff where do you think you're going?" Andrew asked his little sister.

"To see what's taking Mommy and Daddy so long," she said opening the door into the house.

"Oh no you don't," Indira rushed over to her slamming the door shut.

"Why not?" she demanded.

Andrew came over to them "cuz they're busy."


"Doing what?" Emmaline asked "it doesn't take that long to eat pancakes."

"Oh they're not eating pancakes," Indira giggled causing Andrew to give her a warning glare.

"If they're not eating" Emmaline asked "what are they doing?"

Andrew knew his sister well enough to know she would continue to pepper them with questions until she got the answers she wanted. "You know those mushy love stories Indira and Mommy watch?"

Emmaline nodded "what does that have to do with Mommy and Daddy?"


"Well they're doing the stuff you like to call yucky," he told her.

Her eyes widened covering her mouth with her hands "yuck."

"It's not yucky," Indira told her "not when you're in love."

"Then I hope I never am" Emmaline enthused.

"You'll change your mind when your older," Andrew told her.


"Have you?" the girl demanded.

"Have I what?" he asked confused.

"You know done all that yucky stuff?" Emmaline asked.

"Yeah lil bro have you?" Indira asked all innocent like.

Andrew could feel his cheeks flaming with heat "err."


"You haven't have you?" Indira laughed "I knew it."

"Have you?" he demanded of her.

She turned red as she replied "that's none of your business."

"Now you know how it feels to be asked personal questions like that." 

"You're both crazy," Emmaline informed them. 

Author's Note: I'll have the heir vote up sometime over the weekend. I'll try to give you a glimpse into what's in store for each of the possible heirs.


4 comments:

  1. Emmaline is so precious! And wow, Charlie, that's one way to cool a girl down. Andrew seems to be taking everything around him in stride though. I'm a bit surprised Indira became so appearance-focused, but I guess people change.She's still pretty nice though. This is going to be a difficult heir vote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted to highlight the kids personalities in this chapter; especially Emmaline's since she hasn't had a lot of screen time. I think any of them will be good as the heir and knowing me the others will make appearances and may wind up on the extra's blog lol. We'll cross that bridge when we get there. Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  2. Haha what an interesting group of kids. I voted for Andrew but after reading this, I really like Emmaline and Indira too! Oh man, Andrew and Indira are too accepting of their parents antics, I would need to leave the house if my parents were upstairs doing that LMAO so awkward haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was a fun chapter to write. I wanted to highlight each of the kids before I posted a the heir post. I hadn't realized he looked so much like Caleb until I aged him up to YA somehow I thought he looked more like Drew. I guess it was the hair because his face is all Caleb.
      Andrew and and Indira are accepting of it because they know their parents spend a lot of time apart with Caleb's tours. While they might accept they do make sure they plan activities that keep them out of the house while it's going on. Emmaline hasn't quite caught on yet and sometimes it's a struggle to keep her outside or in this case in the garage. Emmaline just wants to be with her daddy. Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete