Thursday, March 10, 2016

3.25 Moving On


There were shouts as police men and paramedics walked over and around her as Drew held her son close. She was shaking from having attacked the large man who was threatening to walk away with her little boy. Not this time was the only thought Drew had as she threw herself at the man's knees. Now when it was all done she wondered what had possessed her. It almost felt as if someone had been with her helping her, giving her the strength that she needed. She smiled at the thought and knew without a doubt that her father had been right here helping her. Protecting her once again as he had been doing through the years.

Drawn to the unusual activity in the lobby she approached the front desk "what's happening?" she asked.

"That man," he nodded towards the big man Drew had knocked down "shot several people upstairs."

Drew turned and ran towards the stairs. She knew without being told that the man had hurt the people she loved. She prayed she was wrong even though she knew she was right. "I'm sorry ma'am no one can go upstairs."

"Please my husband and brother are up there," Drew begged attempting to go around the officer.


"You'll have to wait here," the officer repeated.

Dejected Drew turned from the stairs as the elevator door opened. "Caleb" she cried as he was wheeled out of the elevator holding a bloody towel around his head.

He looked up at the sound of her near hysterical voice. "Drew" he mumbled "you're ok?"

Taking his hand "I'm fine," she mumbled "what happened to you?" she asked "you're covered in blood."

"Concussion," a man stated from behind "excuse me ma'am we need to get him to the hospital for x-rays. He may have internal injuries we don't know about."


"He's my husband," Drew said "I'm coming with him."

Looking up his manner softened "I'm sorry but the little boy" pointing towards Andrew who was clinging to her side "shouldn't be in the ambulance in case something happens."

Gasping for air Drew's eyes widened in shock. Caleb squeezed her hand "I'll be ok."

Despite his reassurance she couldn't help but notice how pale his looked, the blank glassy eyes and shallow breaths. He was hurt more then the paramedic was telling her. "I'll be there as soon as I can." She told him as the paramedic continued to the exit doors.

"Mommy" Andrew tugged on her hand "is Daddy going to be alright?"


Looking down she gathered her thoughts forcing her tear aside as she knelt in front of her son "of course he is."

Andrew gave her a worried look before nodding and snuggling into her side for comfort.

"Excuse me ma'am" a deep voice said above her "we need to ask you a few questions..."

The elevator door opened and a man with brown hair on a gurney appeared unconscious. "Alex" she cried running over to him.

He stirred opening his eyes mumbling "Lexi."


"I'll call her," Drew told him.

"Please ma'am," the officer gently took her arm and guided her away "do you know what that man is?" He point towards the large man in handcuffs she had tackled earlier.

Shaking her head she stammered "nnno".

"Do you know why he would shoot up a hotel room full of people?" the officer asked.

Drew gasped as she tried to think "I don't know why he would do that. How would I know what he was thinking? All I know is I wasn't going to let him leave with my child. I wasn't going to let my son go anywhere with that man." She pulled Andrew close as she spoke.


Looking down at the little boy "was that the man who kidnapped you?"

Looking at the big scary man Andrew nodded "he picked me up and wouldn't let me go." He pressed closer to his mom as the man glared at him from across the room. "I don't like that man mama."

Ruffling the boys hair the officer said "don't worry about him. He's going away for a very long time." Turning to Drew "we just needed to confirm that was the man who took your son. The man had the keys to the car the kidnapper had been sighted in. We also found a young woman in the trunk. Sick SOB that guy is." The officer mumbled as  he walked away with a self satisfied expression.

"Mommy do you think that was Ricky's sister?" Andrew asked.

"I don't know but I hope so," she hugged him close "why did you tell the officer that man kidnapped you?"


"Because Ricky only did it because that man made him. So he really was the kidnapper if you look at like that."

"True," Drew smiled down at her son unable to fault him for his logic "and you like Ricky don't you?"

"Not at first but...he's not a bad guy," Andrew acknowledged "just someone forced to do bad things to save someone he loved. I'd do the same thing for Indy or Emma."

"Let's hope you never have to," Drew said pulling him close kissing his cheek.

"Drew" a deep voice said behind her. She turned startled at the voice "Ambrose?" she cried turning to him "you're hurt" she stopped wide-eyed at the sight of all the blood.

"No," he shook his head sounding shocked "it's not my blood." He ran a shaky hand through his hair 
"Ricky knocked me down when the guy shot at me. Sssaved my life." He started to tremble "I'm fine" he repeated "not my blood."

Despite the still fresh blood Drew pulled him close holding him as his body shuddered in shock. "I'll let Tayla know you're alright," she told him.

***



It took a while for things settle down and go back to semblance of normal. It had been decided as a family that no one including the police needed to know Ricky's involvement in the kidnapping. It was made easier to cover up with the help of Ms Jeffries description she had given to the police. Plus she had given the police the license plate number that matched the car to the keys in the drug lord's possession. How Ricky's sister had gotten into the trunk was anyone's guess. Obviously Ricky had been watched and the boss thought it would be a fitting punishment for Ricky to know his sister perished inside his own car. Luckily that didn't happen since the police found her before she suffocated.

A year later and everyone's lives were finally calming down, moving forward from the near catastrophe. At least that's the way it felt until Drew watched the blood drain from Caleb's face as he held the phone to his ear. He nodded mumbling a couple of words before turning to stare mutely at Drew. 

"Caleb you're scaring me," she cried grabbing him as he started to tremble and shake "tell me what's wrong?"

"That was the police" he said stopping to gulp air into lungs that seemed to have forgotten how to breathe "the drug boss escaped..."

"Escaped," Drew gasped "what? How?" she cried crumbling to the floor.

"They didn't say," he murmured sitting on the floor beside her "that's not the worst of it..."


"What else?" she asked "what could be worse?"

Looking down fiddling with his shoe laces "Patricia escaped too...."

"No," she shouted shaking her head "tell me your joking," she demanded.

"Drew I would if I could," he said grabbing her before she could get up "the police think it was the same people who staged the prison break for the drug boss."

"I know she was involved in all of this, the evil witch. Why can't she just leave us alone?" she cried as Caleb drew her close "she already took my parents from me. What more does she want?"

Not sure what to say or do he just held her tight while she soaked his shirt with her tears. He murmured inane things like it'd be alright all the while wondering if they were safe. If some unseen menace was closing in around them.


"Is mommy alright?" Indira asked looking down at them.

Caleb smiled up at his daughter "she just received some bad news..."

"It's not about Great Grandpa was it?" she asked "he's not dying is he?"

"No sweetheart it wasn't about Great Grandpa," he felt Drew stir in his arms. Looking down he found her drying her eyes. He kissed her forehead quickly as she moved to get up.

"Indy mommy's alright," she assured the girl taking her hand she asked "do you remember the bad man who took Andrew?"

Indira nodded wide-eyed "well the police just called letting us know that man escaped."


"Oh" the girl gasped "that's bad."

"Yes it is and mommy got scared," Drew explained "but we don't have to be scared the guards will keep us safe."

"They didn't last time," she said a worried tone in her voice "what if he comes back? Will they take Andy again? I don't want them to take him away."

"You don't have to worry about that," Caleb told her firmly "I'll protect you."

"How?" she asked looking steadily at him "last time he hurt you. I remember. I thought you were dead."

Once again Caleb was at a loss for words. He simply pulled the girl close. He looked up to find Andrew staring at them from across the table. He held his arms out and Andrew ran to him. "I don't like it here anymore," he said.

***


Later that night while they were getting ready for bed Caleb turned to Drew "what do you thing? Should we move?"

Looking around the room Drew sighed "I loved this house. All of our kids were born in Monte Vista but it's not a safe place anymore. Not to the kids. They're scared to go to sleep at night. Scared to go to school because they're afraid we won't be here when they get back." Turning to Caleb "I don't want our children to live in fear. I want them to be happy."

"That's the way I feel too. Ambrose and Tayla told me a couple days ago they've decided to move to Sunset Valley."

"Is that where you'd like to go?" Drew asked knitting her brows together "that'll put you even further away from the band then we are here."

"I know," he said quietly "as much as I don't want to be separated from my family I can't expect the band to continue to make concessions for me."


Startled Drew sat up looking at him "you're not considering quitting the band are you? They need you. You're their lead singer, the front man. The one all the girls swoon over and wish were me."

Chuckling a little Caleb shook his head "I'll never get used to that. I'm just me not some bigger than life rock star." He shook his head "I'm not quitting. I couldn't even if I wanted to. I signed a contract."

"Then what were you thinking?" Drew asked snuggling into his arms.

"Moving to Sunlit Tides," Caleb told her "It's a smaller community. The kids will love it. Plus it has the added benefit of being close to Alex. We can collaborate on songs better being in the same place."

"Is that what you want?" Drew asked "I want you to be happy more than how convenient it is to the band. If you want to be close to Ambrose the band will just have to make do."


Pulling her close he smashed his mouth down on hers. "I'm happy where ever my family is. My family are the people in this house. You my beautiful wife, the kids you are my family. This is where my heart is. This is where I belong."

Drew squealed pulling him close "I love you."

"I know," he said in a matter fact tone.

"Kind of conceited aren't you?" she giggled as he rolled her over gazing into her eyes.

"Not conceited," he kissed her nose "just happy. Content to be where I am." He moved his kisses down her neck then up to her ear nibbling at it. Hovering above her lips he held her gaze "I love you," he said capturing her mouth with his.

***


"Tayla I'm going to miss you," Drew said pulling her best friend close "take care."

"We will," Tayla assured her "we'll miss you too. Don't forget to call and come for visits."

"Oh we will," Drew hugged her again "You'll need to visit us too when you want to have some fun in the sun."

While the girls were saying their goodbyes Ambrose pulled his Uncle aside. "Don't do anything stupid while we're apart."

Shaking his head Caleb couldn't help but laugh "shouldn't I be telling you that?"

Shrugging "yeah maybe but you seem to be struggling more then I am at be husband and father."


"Says you," Caleb frowned "it's not as easy as I thought it would be. When I helped your mother with you an Apollo I relied a lot on her. It's different when you don't have that."

"Or it just maybe me seeing you in a different light," Ambrose frowned "I never thought you could make mistakes before."

"What I'm not superman anymore?" Caleb joked.

Shaking his head laughing "sorry but no." Ambrose sighed looking towards the mountains in the distance "I wish I could go back and make things right..."

"How do you know your duplicate hasn't already?" Caleb asked him putting reassuring hand on his nephew's shoulder.

"Because I know me," Ambrose shook his head trying to rid it of his depression.


"That's where you're wrong," Caleb told him "he used to be you. You're different now. You've experienced things your other self hasn't. Made different decisions."

"Like you," Ambrose nodded "you're different from who you used to be. The guy I remember as a kid always seemed a little melancholic but you're happier here." He glanced over at Drew "she's been good for you."

Caleb couldn't help the smile that spread across his face "she is good for me. She's probably the only one I could have loved other than Star."

Ambrose nodded turning back to him "what would you do if Star ever came back?"

A sad smile crossed his face "at one time I thought I'd give up everything if she was able to come back. Things are different now. I'm different. I still love her and probably always will but I have Drew and the kids now. I wouldn't be able to give them up for anything including Star."

"Good" Ambrose said with a sudden ferocity that had Caleb looking at him in concern. "Drew deserves to have all of you. Sometimes it feels like we have your pleasant shadow but not all of you. Today...." he shrugged "you seem different. I don't know how to explain it."


"I do," Caleb looked over towards his wife and smiled "I'm finally at peace with the way things are. Accepted it. I'm happy with the life I have with her. I wouldn't change it even if I could."

"Caleb I'm going to miss you," Ambrose said pulling him close "don't be a stranger."

"I won't," Caleb said hugging him back "take care of Tayla and the kids."

"Don't worry I will," Ambrose smiled "did I tell you we're pregnant again?"

"What is that now, four?" Caleb asked.

Shrugging "I always wanted a big family. Tayla's a good mom so we'll be fine...

***


Wrapping his arms around her Caleb asked "so what do you think?"

"It's beautiful," she smiled up at him "I always wanted to live on the beach close to the ocean."

"Liar," he said tilting her chip up to his "you would have been happier in the mountains."

Sighing "I was a lousy liar as a kid and I still can't as an adult. Yes I love the mountains but I love you more. The kids love it here. Speaking of which, where are they?" she asked looking around in concern.

"I arranged for them to stay with Alex and Lexi for the night." He grinned down at her "so we have the entire house to ourselves."

Taking his arm she smiled up at him "I like the sound of that. So what do you have in mind?"

"How's this for starters?" he held her face still between his palms kissing her forehead, eyelids, the tip of her nose, he led a trail down to her lips "I just want to savor all of you," he hovered a moment above her lips yearning to press his against her soft full lips. He wanted to fill his senses with her taste, her smell, the feel of her body pressed against his "I love you," he moaned as he pressed his kissed her lips.

She moaned in response as his kiss burned through her. Weakening her knees as she let him have all of her. She felt his arms supporting her as she was too weak to hold herself up. She wrapped her arms around him as he lifted her into his arms and carried her into the house.

4 comments:

  1. Andrew is a good kid. He totally didn't hold it against Ricky that the guy kidnapped him. And it certainly is a good thing that they moved-- I guess the family just has too many bad emotions associated with their Monte Vista home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He understood that Ricky was forced to do what he did. That doesn't mean he wants to be around Ricky. Their home in Monte Vista is filled with too many bad memories for the kids. Caleb and Drew felt it was better to give them a fresh start in a new place. Hopefully it'll work out for them! Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  2. Reading about Caleb is bittersweet! I love it but at the same time I'm seriously missing gen 3 of the Grays. Caleb was always so great with Ambrose. You're giving me nostalgic memories haha thank you very much! M
    ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved their relationship. It's the father son relationship I wished Ambrose had with Noah but I think in your story Ambrose was the child Caleb never had. Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete