Thursday, December 11, 2014

Generation 2, Chapter 25


Shon anxiously waited for word from Bridgeport that his transfer had been accepted. It was taking longer than anticipated and he was beginning to lose hope it would be approved. It had been five months already and he wondered if he had misjudged the situation.

Five months he had biten his fingernails worrying himself sick anticipating when his father would strike again. Everything remained normal. He even found himself doubting that Peter was right, his dad was anything but subtle, he may not have had anything to do with Evelyn's accident. The brakes could have been faulty. Slamming the mailbox shut, Shon walked slowly to the door. Maybe it was time he let his resentment and fears go and move on with his life. But no matter what he told himself, the fear and worry continued to naw away at the back of his mind.


Evelyn smiled as her husband walked into the house "how was your day?" she asked.

Sitting beside her Shon grunted.


Giving him a sideways glance she asked "that bad?"

"You could say that," Shon admitted. Changing the subject he asked "when is the photographer coming?"

"Tomorrow," Evelyn replied leaning into him. "It'll be nice to have a family picture done professionally."


"I guess," Shon said kissing her cheek, "it just seems like a lot of fuss for something we could do ourselves."

"It'll be fun," Evelyn insisted. "Besides we're sharing the expense with Robert. They're also having family photo's taken tomorrow."

"Are they coming home today?" Shon inquired.

Evelyn said "Rob's being released from the hospital today."

"So what did they decide to name the baby?"

"Diana Rose Bennett," Evelyn told him. "Shon how do you feel about having another baby?"

"Evie no, not right now," Shon said quietly.


"I know you want to wait until after we move," Evelyn turned to look at him "but it's been five months now. What if they don't accept your transfer?"

"I'll try some place else," Shon mumbled.

"Don't you think if your father really wanted to hurt me, he would have tried something by now?" she asked.

Looking thoughtfully at her he hugged her close. "Don't think I haven't thought about that. I don't know what to believe." Shon sighed getting up to pace a few steps away. "It's not in my father to be subtle. But my gut tells me it's not over. I want my family to be safe and in the process I'm afraid I'm becoming paranoid."


Coming up behind him, Evelyn wrapped her arms around him. "Shon I love you and I'll follow you to the ends of the earth if you think that will keep us safe. But we can't stop living in the process."


Turning towards her, Shon kissed her "What would I do without you?"

"Let's hope you never have to find out," she replied kissing him back.

Smiling at her Shon said "I'll think about it ok?"

"Ok," Evelyn smiled back confident in his love for her and Robbie.


The door opening behind them broke them apart as Patricia and Robert came in with the baby. Running over to them Evelyn eagerly said "let me hold my new neice." Holding the baby she cooed "hi Diana I'm your Auntie."

Shon stood back watching his wife with the baby. Smiling he knew he would give in to her request.  This time he hoped it would be a girl, one that would look just like her mother.


"Penny for your thoughts," Robert said beside him.

Laughing Shon replied "just thinking it's about time we had another baby."

Looking up surprised Evelyn asked "do you really mean it?"

"Yes I do," Shon said throwing his hands up in defeat. "It'd be nice to have a little girl," he admitted. His reward was a brilliant mega watt smile from his beautiful wife.


A shrill cry from Diana had Patricia taking the infant from Evelyn "looks like our little princess needs her beauty sleep." Robert followed Patrica up the stairs to put their little girl to bed.


"It looks like Patty is adjusting to the baby alright," Shon commented.

"She is," Evelyn agreed. "She was working herself up over nothing. I knew she'd come around and accept the baby. She's not her mother. They'll be fine." Glancing up the stairs Evelyn gave Shon a mischevious smile "While they're occupied we can work on making that baby."

Returning her smile Shon said "I like how your mind works."


A few days later Robert was startled by a knock at the door. Opening the door he found Casey standing fidgeting before him.

"Hey Case is everything alright?" Robert asked motioning for him to come in.

"No nothings right," Casey mumbled following Robert inside. "I've made a horrible mistake."

Looking at his brother in concern Robert noticed the tired and worry lines etched in Casey's face. "Tell me what's wrong, maybe I can help."

Looking down Casey shook his head "maybe this was a bad idea coming here. You have enough to deal with," he stood to leave.

"Casey,"Robert said firmly "tell me what's going on."


Stopping Casey stumbled looking at Robert he gave in to the impulse to unburdon himself on his understanding older brother. "I don't know what to do..." He crumpled to the floor sobbing.

Watching his brother fall apart in front of him unnerved Robert. He had always considered Casey to be the one who had his life together. He bent down and helped Casey to his feet and over to the couch. "Somethings wrong, let me help you."


Nodding his head, Casey wiped his eyes dry on his sleave. Gulping air he announced "Hannah left me. I came home from work and she was gone. Edward was screaming in his crib, starving and his diaper was a disgusting mess. How could she just leave him alone like that? It must have been hours."

"You mean she just left the baby alone with no one to care for him?" Robert asked in dismay.


Nodding Casey went on "I suspected for a while that Hannah had been neglecting Edward while I was at work. It seemed like Edward was always crying and a mess when I got home. I thought maybe that was his schedule but Hannah never touched him if I was home." Turning bloodshot eyes to Robert "how could I be so stupid? I let Hannah neglect my son. I turned a blind eye to my suspicions." His words were drowned out by his choking sobs "oh god I'm just as bad as her for letting it happen."

Shaking his shoulder Robert succeeded in gaining his brothers attention. "Casey your not responsible for what Hannah did. How were you supposed to know she was neglecting Eddie? You weren't there, it's not your fault." He watched helplessly as Casey fought to control his emotions. "Where is Eddie now?"

"With the babysitter," Casey managed through hiccups.


"Are you sure Hannah is gone for good?" Robert asked.

"She left a note saying how she never wanted to be a mother." Stopping Casey looked at Robert with painfilled eyes "she wrote that she wished she never had him. That she shouldn't have let me convince her to have the baby." Gulping for air "ssshe sssaid she sssshould have went through with the abortion." He wiped his nose on his sleeve and sniffling to continue "it was awful the things she wrote about her own child, my son." Choking on sobs, Robert waited for Casey to regain his composure. "How could I be so wrong? I thought she was the one. I wanted to marry her." Grabbing Robert's arm "what am I going to do?"


"Do you still have the note she left?" Robert asked. Nodding Casey pulled out a crumpled piece of paper from his pocket. Taking it Robert stood up and dialed a number "hey Adam, how are you?" ... "I hate to bother you but I could really us some advise" .... Casey half listened while Robert explained his messed up relationship with Hannah to a virtual stranger. "Thanks Adam I'll give him a call."


Robert called the number Adam gave him, once again repeating Casey's situation. Nodding he wrote another number down, finishing the call he dialed the new number.


"What?" Who?" Casey stammered as Robert held up his hand to keep Casey from interrupting the call. "Hello Mr Greene? I'm Robert Bennett." .... "Yes I'm fine thank you. I'm calling on behalf of my brother Casey Bennett. His fiance left him and their infant son ..." "Yes ... we have the note she left ... tomorrow at noon .... Thank you he'll be there."


Looking at his distraught brother Robert told him "you have an appointment with a lawyer tomorrow at noon. Bring the note Hannah left and the lawyer will explain your rights and what you can do to protect Eddie from falling into Hannah's hands whenever she decides she wants to be a mother."

"Can you come with me?" Casey asked on the verge of begging. "I don't know if I can do this on my own."

"You can but I'll go along for moral support. You will need to tell the lawyer everything."


Shaking his head "I'll look like an idiot, a fool." Casey said.

"You'll be an even bigger fool if you don't. You have to do this to protect Eddie." Robert asserted with such conviction that Casey realized that his son was more important than his pride.


"You're right," Casey acknowledged depressed. "Eddie means everything to me." Looking around he asked "what do you guys do for child care?"

"You're looking at it," Robert pointed to himself. "I'm home during the day and Patricia comes home before I go to work at the restuarant."

"That's something else I'll have to arrange for Eddie. I don't know how I'll be able to afford it."

"For now why don't you bring Eddie over here and I'll watch him for you."

"You'd do that for me?" Casey asked.

"Of course that's what family's for, to help each other," Robert said "however you might want to look into hiring a nanny once we get things settled with the lawyer."


"Do you think you could help me with that? I'm not sure I trust my instincts about people anymore. I don't want to pay someone to neglect my son anymore than I wanted my fiance to neglect him."

"Sure Patricia and I will be happy to screen nannies for you. But we've found kids are pretty good judge of character. My advise would be to observe how Edward responds to the prospective nanny and go with the one he responds to best."

Family Photos
 




 
 

4 comments:

  1. Aww poor Casey :( He's lucky to have Robert as a brother and Robert is lucky to have Adam as a resource and a friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Casey is having a rough time right now but he knew who he could turn to. Robert is the one everyone relies on for help. All the time Robert and Adam spent together on the alien ship developed a strong friendship and he knew that Adam would know a good lawyer he could contact to help Casey.

      Delete
  2. Wow Casey's situation is awful. Poor guy didn't know that you should never try to convince someone to have children. I'm happy that he went to Robert for help and it's coincidental that Adam had child custody problems so that all of that could be worked out for Casey's benefit. It pays to have connections. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Casey couldn't imagine why she wouldn't want to keep the baby, so he did his best in convincing her to keep the baby. Maybe in hindsight it wasn't the best move but his son is adorable. Robert and Adam spent a lot of time talking about themselves and families while they were on the alien spaceship. So Robert knew who to turn to for help.

      Delete