Thursday, December 4, 2014

Generation 2, Chapter 24

 

Robert came home shortly after Evelyn regained consciousness in the hospital. Opening the front door, Patricia threw herself into his arms crying "I've missed you and feared you would never come home."

Holding her tight Robert tried to console her, patting her back. "It'll be alright," he repeated wondering how he was going to tell her that he was pregnant with an alien child. "Honey we need to talk," he said gently.

Sniffling she nodded her head already dreading what he had to tell her.

Sighing Robert blurted "there's no easy way to say this but I'm, I'm pregnant."

Staring at him Patricia hoped she had heard him wrong. "Pregnant? You're sure?" she asked.

"Positive," he nodded.



"I'm, I'm not sure what I should feel," Patricia said sitting abruptly on the couch. "I knew there would be a possibility of this happening but I hoped it wouldn't happen."

"I know, I felt the same way," Robert told her kneeling beside her. "But since it's a reality now, I need to know you're ok with it." He looked into her eyes flinching at the confusion and hurt he saw reflected back at him. "I'm sorry," he said getting to his feet lost and confused. What was he going to do without her? He could see the fear and repulsion she had at the thought of the child he was carrying.



Reaching out to stop him, Patricia said "Robert please, I need time to process what you just told me. You can't just tell me you're pregnant and expect me to be ok with it."

"I know it's a lot to take in," he asaid his voice breaking as he continued "it's just that I love you so much. I don't want to lose you."


"What are you talking about?" she asked confused. "Just because I need time doesn't mean I don't love you. I just need time to adjust to the idea." She stood pulling Robert close to her, kissing him gently "I love you," she whispered.


Shon helped Evelyn out of the car "Stop fussing," she said batting his hands away as she stood from the car. "I'm alright."

"I know," he said standing back. "It's just that ...."

"I know I love you too," Evelyn smiled up at him. Relieved he took her hand as they walked to the door.


Stopping just outside the door Shon turned to her "Honey we need to talk about what happened." He noted how she glanced away before nodding her agreement.

"I know but I don't like to think about it," she acknowledged.

"Neither do I but what if Peter's right?" Shon took her hands and peered into her eyes. "I don't want to lose you. If my father is responsible, he'll try again. I just can't stand the thought of something happening to you or to Robbie. We need to start taking precautions."


"You're right," Evelyn sighed looking down at his hand holding hers, drawing comfort and strength from him. She looked up "what can we do?"

Looking away he thought over his idea before replying "I applied to the Bridgeport police department."




Gasping in shock she asked "Do you really think it's necessary to move?"

"I don't know," he shrugged "but we we can't stay here."

"He found us here," Evelyn voiced her concern in a small voice full of trepidation. "What makes you think he won't find us there?"

"I don't," Shon said "but with luck we might be able to make the move before he finds out and it'll take time for him to locate us again."

"Shon I don't want to raise our kids in a big city," Evelyn protested.


"I know but it isn't safe here," Shon squeezed her hands continuing "isn't it better to be safe than sorry."

"Yes but why Bridgeport? Couldn't we try someplace else?" Evelyn asked.

Sighing Shon looked away before continuing "I have a better chance of getting on the police force in Bridgeport than anyplace else. Plus I could eventually transfer to crimonology that I wouldn't be able to anyplace else."

Leaning forward Evelyn asked "what if he finds us again?"


"We'll deal with it best we can," Shon told her drawing her close. "All I know for sure is we can't stay here."

The door opened before they could continue their discussion. "What are you two doing standing out here in the rain?" Patricia asked in concern.


Wiping tears from her eyes Evelyn smiled towards her saying "just taking a moment to appreciate the things we have."

Patricia squinted at her, scrutinizing what she said. "I think there's more to it that your not saying."

"You're right," Evelyn said giving her a hug "but now's not the time." She pulled away smiling "Is he home?"


"Yes," Patricia nodded "he's upstairs playing with Jennifer." She burst into tears "she's missed her daddy so much."

"I know," Shon said giving her a hug "but he's here now."


Wiping away tears Patricia sniffled "yes but for how long? What if they come and take him again? What will I do? I couldn't cope. I know I couldn't without your help." Shon and Evelyn exchanged a concerned glance over her head, knowing that the next time she would have to handle it on her own.


"Well there's no sense in talking about that now," Shon told her "now's the time to welcome him back."

"You're right," Patricia said drying her eyes. Before they were able to go inside Patricia grabbed Evelyn's arm "I need your help. Robert's pregnant with an alien. I don't know anything about raising an alien."


Shocked Evelyn patted the hand on her arm "I don't know anything either. You should talk to my dad but I don't think I was any different than any other kid. Look at Robbie, he's no different than Jennifer." Evelyn's eyes grew large as she gasped "I want to see my baby boy. It's been so long since I've held him in my arms." All thoughts of Patricia and her dilemna were completely forgotten as she ran into the house and up the stairs.


As Patricia watched Evelyn rush into the house followed by Shon she sighed. How could she have been so dumb as to think Robert's child would be any different than any other child? Evelyn was just like them, maybe a little smarter but she acted just like a normal human with feelings and desires that were normal. There wasn't any difference other than how she looked. She smiled when she realized she could accept this alien child and raise it as one of her own. She rushed into the house to tell Robert.

 
 

4 comments:

  1. Happy ending! (Kinda, for now haha) I'm glad that Patricia is accepting the child, I really didn't want her to leave Robert. I'm sad that Evelyn and Shon are leaving, but I guess if they really have to :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patricia was freaking herself out thinking raising a half alien child would somehow be different. After talking to Evelyn she realized she was freaking out for nothing. Patricia would never leave Robert even though he thought she might.
      Shon and Evelyn's story is becoming too complicated to be combined with Robert and Patricia's so they will be getting their own blog pretty soon so it's not the end. Besides they have growing families and not enough room. Don't worry though, they will eventually combine again.

      Delete
  2. Maybe this is wierd of me to think, but Evelyn being an alien, and Patricia being her best friend, I thought there would be more understanding there when Robert came back. I realize hearing that a man is pregnant would throw off any human female, but this isn't the first occurrence of it, since Evelyn lives with them. Nevertheless, Patricia did figure it out towards the end, so that's good.

    What's wrong with the big city, Evelyn? Hmm? LOL, Just kidding. I grew up in a big city so whenever I see that in a story or in a movie, I'm just like, ain't nothing wrong with that. LOL. I'm joking though, in all fairness, I know some people are adamantly against it for reasons of their own. I hope that with Shon being a police officer in Bridgeport, he might be able to do more to keep Evelyn safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes Patricia is a little slow to figure things out. She was having another panic attack and needed someone to help her think it through. She was stuck on the baby being an alien and they must be different than a human baby without realizing that she was already helping taking care of an alien baby Robbie. So her concerns and fears were all unfounded.
      Nothing's wrong with living in the city. Evelyn just doesn't want to move. She likes being close to family.

      Delete