Sunday, October 5, 2014

Generation 2, Chapter 17


Sighing loudly, Robert moved away from the window. Picking up the last of the letters, he smiled as he read it. 

Dude, this place is awesome! They held my spot at the fraternity house and it's one big party all the time and the girls ... I think I'm in heaven! I'm gettin busy and makin up time. Seriously dude you don't know what you're missin.








 
Shaking his head he couldn't help but laugh at his brother's antics. He wondered what their Dad would say about what he was up to at college. Shrugging, Robert thought as long as he was happy and using protection he could do whatever he wanted.


The downside of living in a fraternity is the house is a pit. I don't think anyone knows how to clean up after themselves. I tried to ignore the mess and the stench but when I ran out of clothes except for my swim trunks I gave up. No doubt it was helped along by the creepy guy who couldn't take his eyes off my butt.




Imagine this, creepy dude standing behind me as a I cooked mac & cheese, making lewd and suggestive comments about what a nice butt I have. Now if it was coming from a girl it wouldn't be so bad but ugh! He wouldn't stop. I thought that once I told him I was straight he'd lose interest. It hasn't happened.



He just keeps telling me to 'loosen up and try it, I might like it'.   I doubt it and if I did, which I'm not, it wouldn't be with him. He gives me the willies and I sleep with my door locked after waking up and finding him looming above my head, staring. Good thing I splurged and got the washer & dryer fixed, so I always have something to where; especially to bed. I'm now the unofficial maid around here. You know how I hate messes. If creepy guy would leave me alone, drop dead or something, things would be great.


Getting up, pacing the room Robert couldn't shake the uneasy feeling he had. He hoped Casey was alright living in the same house as that guy. It didn't sound like he was living in a safe environment.

Don't tell Gene. I don't need him giving me shit about this. I've just gotten a novel from Mom and well I haven't weeded through it all yet but the gist is, she wants me to come home. It would be one thing if she really missed me but she doesn't, not really. She misses the babysitter/maid so she can sit on her butt and be a selfish, lazy cow. I can only imagine the pressure your getting from everyone at home. They all seem to think your some kind of miracle worker. Take it from me brother, you deserve a life. Don't give in to the pressure!

I know you Robert, you're probably pouring over half dozen letters all pleading for you to come home and deal with Gene and help with the babies. You're probably thinking you should drop everything and go to the rescue. I'm telling you now, don't do it. Don't mess up your life and sacrifice your happiness on the off chance you might manage what Dad can't. Believe me Dad doesn't want you giving up on your dreams to come home and help him. Don't get me wrong, he could use help but what really needs to happen is for mom to get off her lazy butt and be a mother and a wife. You can't fill that role and you don't have a magic wand to fix Gene either. Believe me I understand but you won't be helping anyone if you give up everything and grow to resent the choice you made.

Take my advice - stay in school, kiss your girl and graduate. It's the best thing you can do for yourself and it would make Dad proud. Do me and yourself a favor and think about it before you do anything rash, ok? Gotta go or I'll be late. Party at the sorority house!

Bye - Case




Frowning over that last part, Robert hoped that Casey wouldn't develop a taste for drinking while he was doing so much partying. One booze hound in the family was enough. He couldn't help but be a little envious of his younger brother. Casey was so much more outgoing than he'd ever hope to be, he had never liked being in a crowd of people or being the center of attention. Casey had never bothered about having a steady girlfriend preferring to play the field. While Robert was content to be with one girl and for him that had always been Patricia from the day he spilt his drink all over her.

When they had moved he felt like he had left a part of himself behind. His depression was more than Sydney's death and the decision to save Casey's life over staying to help her, it was also leaving Patricia behind. He felt like his heart had been pulverized and he'd never be whole again. Now that they had been reunited, he didn't want to lose her again.


He was so deep in thought that he jumped when he heard his name. "Rob are you ok?" He looked up startled, smiling warmly as he saw the girl of his dreams.

"Just reading some letters," he gestured towards the stack on his bed.


"I take it the news from home isn't good," she said wrapping her arms around him.

"You could say that," he agreed returning her hug. "They all want me to go home and straighten Gene out."


Reaching out, she lifted his chin, forcing him to look at her. "Is that what you want to do? Is there something you can do, that your parents can't?"



"No it's not what I can do but it's what I should do." He said stalking away from her, refusing to look in her direction. "Dad needs help," he said mostly to himself.



Walking towards him, Patricia could feel the frustration emanating from this tense shoulders. "Have you talked with your Dad?"


"No. He'd just tell me to stay here."


Wrapping her arms around him again, feeling the rapid beat of his heart. She tried to calm him "Don't you think your Dad can manage things without you?"

"Of course he can but he shouldn't have to. He needs help and he shouldn't have to ask."

"Rob, what do you think you can do?"


Shaking his head in frustration he said "I don't know. I know if I quit college, Dad would be disappointed. He wants me to stay in school. But if I stay, I feel like I'm failing my family." Turning in her arms, he looked deep into her eyes longing for her to understand. "I'm the only that Gene listens to and he needs help. I don't think I'd forgive myself if something happened and I wasn't there."


Stroking his face, Patricia drew him close "you have such a good, tender heart and I'm afraid that it'll lead you to sacrifice yourself when what you need to do is step back and let things happen. Gene isn't ready for you to help. If he was, he wouldn't use your lovely face as a punching bag."

"Evelyn shouldn't have told you about that." he grumbled turning away.


"I'm glad she did," she said firmly, moving in front of him saying "You shouldn't have to take that kind of treatment from him or anyone else."

"He wasn't in his right mind. He didn't know what he was doing. He didn't mean to hurt me."




"That's the point isn't? He did those things because he's out of control, therefore he's dangerous. Not only to you but to himself and everyone around him. I know you don't want to believe it but it doesn't make it any less true. I understand you want to help but he has to want your help first. It doesn't do you or him any good to let him beat you up." Looking at him concern she continued "I know you Robert Bennett you just let him hit you and didn't defend yourself, did you?"

Shaking his head he tried to turn away as tears slid down his cheeks. He knew she was right, sooner or later Gene was going to hurt someone or himself and there was nothing he could do. "You're right but I can't just stand back and watch him ruin his life. What do I do? Tell me what to do!" he pleaded.


His pleas broke her heart. She understood the need to help and the helplessness when you realize you can't. She pulled him close and held him tight saying "you live your life and refuse to let him ruin your life while he's ruining his. Be there when he hits rock bottom and help him pick up the pieces when the time is right."

**********************************************************************************************


"Hey you two, are we still planning on buying a house together after graduation? We should probably start looking if you are since graduation is only a couple months away," Evelyn said as Robert and Patricia entered the room. 

"Sure, if you want to," Robert replied "What about you Shon, are you game?"

Shrugging he said "Sounds like fun. The only really hard decision is where."

"Not Aurora Skies," Patricia said adamantly.

"Well we were thinking Barnacle Bay," Evelyn said.


"We?" Robert wondered. "So are you two finally admitting your a couple?" he teased.

Smirking a little Shon said "Yeah, what of it?"

"Nothing," Rob said smiling "I was beginning to wonder if you'd ever move past the friend zone. But I'm warning you now, if you hurt my sister, I'll be all over you like a ton bricks."

"I'm shaking in my boots," Shon said rolling his eyes.

"Cool it you two," Patricia said laughing. "Have you told your Dad yet?"

 

"Yeah, he's more excited than we are I think. He's already found a house in our budget range. The only problem is, it's only a one bedroom but there's room to expand eventually," Robert said.

"He sent pictures. It's really cute and comes furnished," Evelyn said excited with the move. "The old couple that lived there moved to be closer to their children."

"Ugh old people decor," Patricia said pretending to gag.

"Hey don't knock it," Shon said "I grew up with old lady decor. My Gramma had pretty good taste. So these old guys might too."

"We'll see," Evelyn conceded "if not we'll have to figure out how to redecorate on a shoe string."

"Will the house be a available the time we graduate?" Shon asked.

"Dad thinks so," Robert shrugged "if not we might have to stay at Dad's for a while."

"It's a lot more crowded than it was before. Jessica had another baby," Evelyn said disgust evident in her tone. "This one, we know isn't Dad's."

"What?" Patricia and Shon asked  together in surprise

"Dad caught her in the act with LeeRoy Johnston," Robert explained. "At least now we know where the black hair came from."



"Yeah Susie has the same coloring as Paul does," Evelyn said. "I hate that woman. From what I've been told, LeeRoy broke things off with her because he was tired of waiting for her to divorce Dad. Evidently she told him she would but when he lost his job and filed bankruptcy she changed her mind. For the life of me I can't see why anyone would want the woman."






"Well Dad certainly doesn't but Mom refuses to give him the divorce and as long as she won't give up custody of the kids, he won't leave her." Robert continued furious with his mother and the things she does to ruin her life and everyone else's around her.




"Your mom has really lost it," Shon said empathizing with their pain and frustration. This was the family he had always fantasized about and thought was perfect and slowly watched fall about after the tragedy of losing Sydney.

 

"I bet Gene's gloating over being right," Patricia said. Her comment was greeted with silence. She looked from Evelyn to Rob, seeing the hurt and pain etched on their faces. "What's wrong?"

Clearing his throat Shon said "Gene was indicted on reckless driving charges. He's being forced into a rehab facility for 60 days. It was either that or 60 days in jail."

"Oh no, I'm so sorry," she said giving Evelyn and Rob a hug. "Maybe now he'll get the help he needs."


 
"We hope so," Robert said. "Too bad it came at the cost of someone's porch. He could've really hurt someone this time."

"He was lucky that no one was home when he lost control of the car and smashed into the house," Evelyn sighed. "I hope his eyes were opened to the seriousness of the situation he's in."

*********************************************************************************************




The next couple months passed quickly and it was soon graduation. The four good friends gathered to congratulate each other for making it through and each were looking forward to moving to Barnacle Bay and starting the next chapter in their lives. However one of the four was having second thoughts about moving to Barnacle Bay after receiving a letter offering them a position in what could be their dream job.  
 

4 comments:

  1. *gasp* Who is it... that got a job offer? O_O Hahaha.
    Wow... Patricia was kind of scaring me when she said Gene was dangerous, cause she was starting to sound like Jessica, but then she redeemed herself when she said that all Robert could do was be there to pick up the pieces for Gene when he hits rock bottom. Yikes he hit a house, I'm glad he's okay.
    Jessica... just... wtf... I don't even know what to say regarding her anymore... LOL. Other than she's kind of dumb to think people wouldn't find out about her cheating if she suddenly comes home with another baby? *sigh*
    I am glad that Casey has seen the truth about their mother, and that he is having a fun time at college. His advice to Robert was very good, that he should live his life and not let the family burden him and ruin his future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that Patricia was able to redeem herself. Robert felt she was beginning to sound like Jessica too but he let her finish and realized she made sense. Now they are all hoping Gene has learned his lesson after his latest stunt and hopefully he's getting the help he needs. He was really lucky that no one was hurt and he was able to walk away from the crash.
      Jessica needs her head examined. She thought she could have her cake and eat it too. She thought she just keep passing her babies off as William's and no one would notice. When Gene exploded and let the cat out of the bag she thought she could pass it off as one of his delusions which is part of the reasons why she went out of her way to tear him to pieces. It was a good distraction, William was preoccupied with Gene and running around caring for the babies he really didn't notice what Jessica was up to. But you're right she can't just come home with another baby without someone wondering where it came from. LOL At this point I don't think she really cares.
      Robert needed someone other than his dad telling him he should stay in college and live his life. Thankfully he listened and stayed.

      Delete
  2. I was originally indifferent about Casey but now, I'm kind of intrigued. What I love about your story is how you include most of the kids stories. They each have their own which we get to follow along with while still excperiencing Roberts. We also get to see shon and patricias story. Many writers, including myself struggle with this during a legacy, because it's hard to keep up with everyone. I think the creepy guy is a nice twist. I leaning towards patricia or evelyn getting their dream job.hmmm, or maybe shon? I doubt its Robert. Cant wait to read the next chapter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Casey was a hard one for me to figure out and for a while I kind of ignored him. Now that he's an adult I've figured out his story. I know the stories for the older kids but starting with Michael on down I haven't got a clue but feel I have to explain they exist even if we don't really get a chance to know them well.
      I had to include the creep guy. As I was playing Casey this Sim just stood behind staring at him while he cooked. It was really kinda creepy looking and then he would follow Casey around everywhere. So I took a couple of pictures of him at his creepiest and figured out how to use them.
      Now why would you doubt it would be Robert? You'll have to read the next chapter to find out.

      Delete