Friday, July 18, 2014

Generation 2, Chapter 6


"Alright kid, hand'em over," a gruff voice said above his head.

Gene looked up at a pair of dark clad legs that led up to the stern face of a police officer. "Go away. It's none of your business."

"It is my business if your doing drugs," the officer said holding her hand out. "Now hand them over."

Reluctantly Gene handed the bottle over.

"What were you planning to do with these?"

Gene shrugged and sullenly stared at the officer.

"Son if you're in trouble I can help."

Gene's eyes flickered up towards the officer and smirked thinking to himself 'If you want to help than shoot me and put me out of my misery.'

"Have it your way. I'm taking you home."



Gene got up and followed the officer to the patrol car. When they got to his house he climbed out sighing loudly. The officer gently took his arm and guided him to the door. William opened the door before she was able to knock.

The officer motioned for William to follow her to her car. "Sir I think your son's contemplating suicide. I found him in the park and he had these in his possession." The officer handed William the bottle of pills. William looked at the label, sedatives, Inkbeard. Did Pearl give these to his son he wondered?

"Has your son been depressed lately?"

"We all have been. We ...." William stopped looked past the officer and sighed "We just lost our oldest in a tragic house fire. It's been difficult for all of us."

"I'm sorry for your loss," the officer spoke gently gaging Williams response. "I think your son needs help. This doctor is very successful for treating depression and self-destructive kids. I highly recommend him, he helped my sister a few years ago when she was on the brink. I keep a few of his cards on hand in case I run across someone who needs his kind of help."

William stared at the number on the card as the officer drove away He slowly walked into the house where Gene was nervously waiting for him.



"Dad I can explain."

"I certainly hope so," William exclaimed. "Where did you get the pills, Gene? Pearl?"

"It's not important where I got them," Gene shot back.

"I think it is. I want to know who it is who was helping my son kill himself. Now tell me."

"All right then I got them from Pearl. She didn't know why I wanted them. I told her I couldn't sleep, she thought she was helping me."

"Why Gene if you were having problems, why didn't you come to me?"

"Because you're the problem," Gene shouted at him.


"What problem?" William shouted back as Gene turned to walk away. William reached out and grabbed his shoulders. "Don't walk away. Talk to me." William pleaded.

Whipping around Gene yelled "You won't understand. Nobody can."

"What are you talking about? Just tell me and I promise I'll do everything I can to help."

"I...I," Gene stammered looking straight into his Father's eyes knowing he was about to see all the love drain away, dreading the look of hate he knew would come as he said "I took the batteries."

"Batteries? What are you..." William began than he understood. You don't mean..."

"I took them. I knew they were new. I meant to put them back." Gene said between sobs "I forgot and now she's dead."


William grabbed Gene by the shoulders holding him as his body shook with wracking sobs. "It's not your fault."

"It is. I heard the fire chief. He said if the alarms had gone off they would have gotten there sooner. It is my fault."

William pushed Gene away from him and shook him until he got his attention. "I want you to listen to me. It's not your fault. You made a mistake. You didn't cause the fire."




"No, no I knew you wouldn't understand. I killed her. I killed my sister. I don't deserve to live." William held Gene as he sobbed. William motioned for Jessica to come over and held the card out to her whispering for her to call. Without hesitating Jessica called the number.

Gene mumbled into Williams shoulder "I just wanted the pain to end. To sleep and not wake up. I know what I did and I can't live with it anymore. I just want to die." As if realizing for the first time that his Dad was still holding him he asked "Why don't you hate me?"

"Oh Gene, how could I hate my own son? I love you." William glanced up at Jessica who whispered in his ear "The doctor wants to see him now. I'll pack a bag."



William continued to hold his son while the others came out and watched concerned. "Make them go away, please," Gene begged.

William motioned for them to go back into their rooms. Robert took it upon himself to take charge of his siblings and coaxed them into their rooms. Gene was admitted into the psychiatric ward and stayed there for a month.



William picked him up on the day of his release and brought him home. "Gene it's good have you home again."

"It's good to be home," Gene agreed "It's Beverly's birthday tomorrow isn't it?"

"Yes. We thought we would have a quiet, family gathering. Maybe go out to eat, something like that."

"But," Gene began

"But what?"


"We always have a big party with lots of friends over. Don't change it because of me."

Hearing the distress in his Gene's voice, William decided not to object. "Ok would you like to help me call everyone to let them know the change in plans?"

"I can do that," Gene hesitated "Dad is everyone going to treat me differently now?"


"They'll try not to but yes probably for a while." William said deciding to be honest with him. "Will you be ok with a bunch of people over?"

"Yeah I think so."

"If you feel uncomfortable tell me. Your well being is more important than any party."

"Ok"


Beverly was excited to be having an actual party. She was ready for a change and part of that change was cutting off her long hair. She hadn't told anyone yet, she wanted it to be a surprise.





Everyone gathered around to watch Beverly blow out her candles. Even Gene seemed to be having a good time. William tried not to hover over him and was relieved when he saw Gene smiling and joining in on the festivities. William hoped that was a good sign. The doctor had given him warning signs to look for knowing that Gene had a long road to recovery ahead of him.


William tried to enjoy the party and be happy for his little girl becoming a young woman. He was less then thrilled with her new look. She cut off all her beautiful hair; although William grudgingly admitted her new hair cut was very becoming on her. Watching her enjoying herself, William was a little sad, remembering Sydney at that age.
 

4 comments:

  1. Woah. Love Beverlys style!!! Poor Gene. Him and Robert keep blaming themselves for their sisters death and it isnt any of their faults. It was thise crazy doctors and the aliens!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted to give Beverly a different look and this hairstyle was perfect although I think she's planning on growing it again. Robert and Gene do blame themselves. Robert is accepting that Sydney's death wasn't his fault and he's stronger than he thinks he is. Gene has refused to talk to anyone about Sydney which resulted in him becoming a rebellious kid at school. The principle was able to see his acting out as a cry for help; which is why he insisted he see the guidance counselor. The counselor just treated him like a kid with an attitude problem so Gene didn't open up to him. The doctor and aliens have a lot to answer for, fortunately the doctor is prison but there's not much that can be done about the aliens. They show up at the worst times. Doesn't help that Evelyn is doing everything she can to attract their attention either.

      Delete
  2. Dang, Beverly's drastically changed her look! :) If I had seen those pictures together, her as a child, and her as a teen, with no words saying who they were, I would have thought they were two completely different Sims! :)
    I'm so glad Gene got caught at curfew, LOL. The psychiatric ward seems to have helped him, at least he doesn't seem suicidal anymore. That's good. Of course, I knew William would be an awesome dad, he's so great. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. William to the rescue LOL He would do anything for his children. Gene isn't suicidal at the moment but he's still can't cope with stressful situations.

      I wanted to give Beverly a completely new look and was shocked at the results. She looked so completely different but I loved the hairstyle on her.

      Delete