Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Generation 2, Chapter 2


Gene was having difficulty in his physics class and asked Pearl, the smartest girl in class to help him with his homework.

"I don't get it," Gene grumbled shoving his homework aside in disgust.

"Hold on a sec, have some patience," Pearl chided him looking at the problem and seeing where Gene went wrong. "Ok, this is what you did but this is how you get to the right answer." She patiently explained the solution. Gene listened and grasped the explanation, nodding in understanding.

"Why can't the teacher explain it in such a way I can understand it. He seems to thrive on making it more difficult than it should be.

"That's not the problem," Pearl said softly.

"Huh, what do you mean? Of course it is."

"Well when was the last time you actually paid attention in class?" she challenged.


"I was in class all day but it was so boring," Gene shrugged knowing that he had become distracted. Shooting spit balls at the nerd in the front row. He took great pleasure every time he nailed him in the back of the head. The nerd would turn around in a futile attempt to see who did it and each time the class would erupt in laughter.

The teacher would turn around and face the class demanding to know what was going on, then he would tell the class to settle down. The teacher's face turned redder each time as he lost his patience and lost further control of his students.

"If you gave the teacher half a chance you might learn something," Pearl suggested.

"Not likely," Gene mumbled. Seeing that Pearl was about to say something else Gene continued "Don't start in on me. I get enough of that at school. I always get blamed for every disruption that happens. Then I have to endure the principles lectures on proper decorum and respect for my elders."


"Well if you want to go to college you need this class."

"Who said I was going to college? Not me. I'm done as soon as I turn eighteen. I don't need to know this crap. I'll never use it."

"Then why'd you want me to come over and help you if you don't care to learn it?"

"Because my Dad will blow a gasket if he knows I'm failing. Coupled with the note from the principle I thought this might appease him. Show him I'm making an effort."

"I take it he doesn't know you're not going to college."

"Are you kidding? There's plenty of time for that. No sense giving him a heart attack until I have to."

"He wouldn't approve?" Pearl asked.

"Let's just say he'd be disappointed. Neither my mom or dad went to college, so he wants all us kids to go. He'll understand, I just have to wait before I lay it on him."




"Well he seems to be a pretty understanding guy. So what's this video you were showing everyone in class today?" Pearl asked changing the subject.

"What you were actually paying attention instead of watching my video?" Gene asked in mock disgust.

"So sue me. I actually do want to go to college."

"Yeah whatever teacher's pet. Get a load of this." Gene held his phone out so she could see the video. He enjoyed watching her face as she watched going from shocked to somewhat entertained. "Good isn't?"

"It's unusual," she said unsure whether she should be fascinated or repulsed by what she had just seen.




Taking advantage of her confusion, Gene quickly stepped forward and kissed her. When he backed away he thought she would slap him but all she did was smile.

"I um I think I should go now," Pearl said more confused than ever. She thought Gene was cute but thought that he only saw her as the teacher's pet, the straight 'A' student, not someone he would ever be interested in.

Gene surprised himself when he kissed Pearl. He had never looked at her as anything other than the teacher's pet. Now he wondered if he could actually get her to go out with him. This just might be a challenge worth pursuing.




Robert was finding it increasingly difficult to be around people, even his own family. Everyday he was faced with the decision he had made. He couldn't help but wonder if he had made the right decision. Maybe he should have tried harder, maybe he could have managed to save both of them. Now he would never know. Every week he went for his appointment with the psychologist and he would talk about anything other than what he was really thinking or feeling, when he talked at all.

How could he explain that he felt he had let his sister down. That he saw himself as a coward who couldn't force himself to go beyond his fear and weakness. That he saw himself as a failure, who would let everyone down when they needed him the most. So he kept his mouth shut and let the doctor's words wash over him, than he'd leave and go back to painting.


All he wanted to do was paint. He remembered how Sydney would try and teach him some new technique and how she would become excited when someone complimented her paintings. She had such raw talent that never had a chance to blossom. Standing before Sydney's easel, Robert felt at peace and closer to his sister than he ever was when she was alive.

Robert never played chess any more and he couldn't remember the last time he read book. All he wanted to do was paint. Sometimes he would paint from morning till night, only taking a break when someone forced him to stop and eat.




"Honey I've got something to tell you," Jessica hesitated unsure of herself.

William finished the article he was reading in the paper and calmly asked "What's up?"

"How would you feel about an addition to the family?"




"No way. You're not, are you?" William got up going over to Jessica saying "You're pregnant."



Jessica nodded happily. William put his hand out to feel her stomach and grinned, remembering when this little one came to be. 
 

"Hey little one, welcome to the family," he told the baby. Looking up into Jessica's worried face he added "Jessica I'm so happy."

"Will are you sure?"

"Of course I am. We can hardly send'em back, even if I weren't"

"I know but you were so adamant we were done. I wasn't sure how you'd take the news"


"That was so long ago Jess. Right now this moment is all that matters." Gesturing towards Jessica's stomach William continued "This is a gift. A precious gift."
 
 

4 comments:

  1. Pregnant again??? I hope it's another girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't resist giving in to there constant wish for another baby. William is hoping it's not a girl, so we'll see. The baby is a good thing as it helps someone open up when he wouldn't otherwise have done so.

      Delete
  2. *face palm* Jessica? Jesus. LOL. Despite that, haha, William's reaction was so sweet. ^_^
    T_T Robert, his thoughts were so sad. I have been there, thinking that I was a failure, so why even try. *sigh* I hope he can overcome that somehow. I'm not sure if his painting is doing well for him, and what I mean is that he seems to be losing himself with it. He's remembering Sydney and how she would paint, which is good, but he's not having interests of his own, and I wonder if that's contributing to him feeling like a failure.
    Gene seems to be doing as well as he can be, I'm glad for him. :) Haha, his views about looking at Pearl as a challenge don't seem to be the best idea, LOL. Unless he actually likes her he shouldn't be playing with her like that, although that would be exciting to read about. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessica loves being pregnant and not very careful about her birth control. She's confident that William will accept them having another baby. Like he said they could hardly send it back. The new baby is going to help Robert heal more than anything else so far has. Robert has always been artistic like Sydney but choose to pursue other things. He didn't want to compete with Sydney but now he feels its bringing him closer to her. Somehow he thinks that she'll live on through his paintings. I know kind of messed up but hopefully he'll see it differently. Gene does see Pearl as a challenge more than a love interest. You're right he shouldn't play with her feelings. Gene appears to be coping better than Robert at this point but he's better at acting than Robert is.

      Delete