Saturday, June 18, 2016

4.8 Last Request


"What the hell." Blake said coming up behind them as they left the restaurant.

"I told you I had to leave," Andrew told his irate date. "Come on let's go," he said turning to Charlie.

"Not so fast," Blake said grabbing Andrew's arm "I'll take you..."

Jumping between them Charlie demanded "let him go."

Eyeing him up and down "and if I don't?" he challenged.

"Blake please," Andrew struggled to free himself "I have a family emergency. Let me go."


"Fine. I'll take you," Blake said without removing his gaze from Charlie.

"No you won't," Charlie's deep voice vibrated with barely contained anger.

Andrew looked over at his friend. He had never heard him sound so angry before. It reminded him of Charlie's dad the night they had taken his car without permission and neither of them had anything more then their learner's permit.  "Charlie?" Andrew said unsure what he wanted to say at the moment.

"Andrew I'll handle this," Charlie told him glaring at Blake. "Let him go" he repeated.

"Or what?" Blake demanded with a smirk "will you make me?" 

"I'll go with him," Andrew offered hoping to diffuse the situation.



"No" Charlie said explosively "let him go." As he spoke he took a step closer, hands bunched into fists.

"Make me," Blake taunted sneering at him "you're all talk and no action." Laughing he shook his head "what's the matter? Scared?" His condescending laugh was cut off by a fist smashing into his nose. Shocked he put a hand to his nose. Anger soon replaced the shock as he turned to his attacker "what the hell was that for?"

Without responding Charlie took advantage of the moment. Grabbing Andrew by the arm and ran across the street to his car. "Get in" he ordered.

"Maybe we should ...."

"No," Charlie shouted at him as they piled into the car. 

"He might be hurt" Andrew protested.

"No," Charlie repeated throwing the car into gear. Glancing in the rear view mirror he caught a glimpse of the angry visage of Blake watching them "trust me he's fine."

***


The sound of the slamming door echoed through the house as Caleb gathered his wife into his arms."Why does she hate us so much?" she sobbed.

"She doesn't" he said despite his own misgivings "not really. Not deep inside. I know she doesn't." 

"Then why?" Drew cried "why is she embarrassed by us? We're her family. Doesn't that mean anything to her?"

"I don't know. I simply don't know," he tried to think when Indira had started to despise them. He was sure it started after she went to that private school. Her best friend had gotten in and of course Indira wanted to go to. He hadn't wanted to separate the girls so he gave in to her pleas. Now he wished he hadn't. She had only been there a year but she wasn't the same since she came back. That was the beginning of her looking down on everything they, as her parents had accomplished. Nothing was ever good enough

Sniffing Drew looked up at him "it was that school wasn't it?" It was like she had been reading his mind. Not surprising really, it was something they had discussed numerous times before


Nodding he stroked her long purple hair "I think so. Someone must have had strong opinions about what was acceptable and what wasn't. I never thought doing what I loved would be a cause for embarrassment. 

"It's not" Drew confirmed leaning her head on his shoulder. He had always been her rock but she knew he was hurt by what Indira did as much as she was. "Caleb what are we going to do now?"

Sighing he squeezed her tight "we're going to let her go out on her own and hope she comes back."

"If she doesn't?" she asked her words hang in the air.

"I don't know," he caressed her cheeks "I wish I did but I don't."

***


Indira followed the helpful airline attendant as he carried her bags to the check in counter. Smiling her thanks she noticed the disappointment in his once eager eyes. Turning she bestowed her smile upon the man at the counter effectively dismissing the attendant. Why should she tip him for doing his job?

Once she had her ticket and her multiple bags were taken from her to load onto the plane. Indira was free to roam the airport at her leisure. However her first priority was to locate her departure gate even though it was hours before her plane would take off. She sat down, pulling out her tablet to review her life goals and crossing off the one titled move out from parents house. Frowning she wondered if she had done the right thing. She had expected to finish college first before taking that step.

The image of her mom's stricken face appeared in her mind. The harshness in her dad's voice. She closed her eyes trying to blot out the memories that bombarded her. It had to happen sooner or later. 
Today was just as good as any other day.

She looked up groaning softly as she saw a familiar person walking towards her. Her heart skipped a beat before hammering out a steady bongo beat. As he sat down beside her she said "I thought you were on a family vacation?"

"I was. Now I'm not," he shrugged as he set his bag down by his feet "my boss called cutting my vacation short."

"So just like that," she snapped her fingers "vacation over." She nodded her approval "I admire your dedication."


His cheeks burned a fiery red "if I do well during my summer internship I'll be up for a promotion when I finish school."

"So what is it that you do?" she asked with genuine interest.

He gave a stiff thin lipped smile "now that you think I have an impressive job you want to get to know me."

"Why would I waste my time on someone who doesn't have a good prospective job or worthy goals?" she asked "it's perfectly reasonable to want to know that a prospective date has a good job and a good income. Employers look at those types of things and I want to be sure all of my acquaintances and associates share my ideals and goals."

"Really? Do you honestly think that's for the best?" he asked squirming as if his chair suddenly became a smoldering pile of cinders "what difference does it make whether my associates share my ideals and goals? What if my dad was an unemployed house husband? Why would that make a difference to my future job prospects?"

Shrugging she said "it just does," she crossed her arms frowning at her companion.

"That's not a reason. It's a cop out. Give me a solid reason, one good reason why my credentials are less worthy then my pedigree; especially if I can do the job better then the next person." He held her gaze until she nodded accepting his challenge.

***


"Andy" Emmaline cried as she threw herself into his arms.

Hugging her tight Andrew asked "what's happening?" He looked around frowning as he heard the muffled sounds of his mom crying upstairs and his dad's voice attempting to comfort her. "Was there an accident? Where's Indira?" He held Emmaline at arms length peering into her eyes. 

"She's gone," she cried.

Gone? Andrew swallowed imagining his sister laid out in the county morgue after some terrible car accident. Heart beating fast he asked again "what happened?"

"She was so mean to them," Emmaline blubbered "I should have tried to stop her. I should have done something."

"Will you just tell me what happened" he demanded at the end of his patience. It was times like this that he was reminded just how young Emmaline really was.


"Indira left" she screamed "packed her bags and left."

"She did what?" Andrew let his hands drop limply to his side "why?" He knew Indira hadn't been pleased with his decision to accept himself the way he was. She hadn't liked him accepting the date with Blake but that was no reason for her to leave. "This is all my fault isn't?"

Shaking her head Emmaline wiped her eyes dry "it's her fault not yours. She's the one who told mom and dad that they were ruining her future. She told them they needed to grow up and live in the real world. Well she's the one living in a fantasy. She's...."

"I think I should probably go," Charlie spoke for the first time moving towards the door.

"Charlie you came," Emmaline attacked him by throwing her arms around him in a tight bear hug as if she hadn't seen him standing there before.

"You called him" Andrew asked.


"Of course I did. How else was he to know someone was moving in on his territory?" Emmaline demanded "a little jealousy is a wonderful motivator."

"Who says I was jealous?" Charlie asked

"You're here aren't you?" Emmaline giggled at him as he turned several shades of red.

"You could have told me you called him" Andrew grumbled.

"You wouldn't have gone out with Blake if I had."

"A pleasure I could have done without," he mumbled.

***



He sat outside their house staring up at the dark windows. Some emergency he mumbled to himself. Where were the flashing lights? The wail of sirens? Police officers in uniform? 

It was all a lie. A ploy to end the date. He rubbed his sore, swollen chin. Anger made his stomach roll and twist inside him. He would get even. No one get's away with punching him in the face and making him look like a weak little fool. 

Who did that guy think he was? Andrew obviously knew who he was. Calling him by name. Charlie that's his name. He smiled into the night rubbing his chin. He was looking forward to meeting him again.

***


As they talked, well she talked and he nodded his head at appropriate moments as her words washed over him. She had yet to prove to him why pedigree was more important than performance. It seemed the more she talked the more she talked in circles. He saw the slight frown crease her brow as he reached for his ringing phone. No doubt she thought he was being rude for not ignoring the call when she should be the focus of his attention.

"Hello" he said with forced cheerfulness "yeah I'm waiting to board my plane." He rolled his eyes as he continued "of course I'm at my designated area. I'm not an idiot." He grabbed his bag that was on the floor by his feet before walking away. "You owe me big for this," he growled "no I don't like her. She's a pain in the a...."

Indira watched him walk away talking on his phone. No word of apology or a mumbled goodbye. She had the sinking feeling she had been dismissed. Why did she even care? She didn't even know his name. She followed him with her eyes. She ducked her head as he looked over at her and winked. She got up, grabbed her bag and made her way to the ladies room. She couldn't shake the feeling that his eyes followed her all the way causing her cheeks to burn. What power did he have over her that left her wanting more?

"Dad why do I have to babysit her?" he asked once he knew she wouldn't be interrupting him. 
"Wouldn't it be better if she had a guard she didn't know by sight?" He rolled his eyes "I know she's a wild card. She's also one of the most irritating people I've ever met." He sighed heavily "I just wish..."

He disconnected the call. He hated this assignment. Why couldn't he watch over Andrew or even Emmaline? When he was at college he was assigned both of the twins. Now that Indira was leaving home the dubious pleasure of being her guard fell on his shoulders. How was he going to manage it? He couldn't forever keep bumping into her. She would eventually grow suspicious.

***


"I don't want to go to bed," Emmaline glared at her brother "I'm not a child."

"I never said that," Andrew protested "I simply meant that we're all tired."

"That's not what you said" she pouted proving without a doubt she was only fourteen.

Pulling his sister close he kissed the top of her head. "There's nothing we can do tonight. Tomorrow if mom and dad want to, we'll look for Indira."

"We could call the police..."

"And tell them what?" Charlie interrupted "she's over eighteen. She's an adult fully capable of making her own decisions. They'll tell you she's within her rights to come and go as she pleases. They won't look for her."


"You think you know everything," she pouted crossing her arms.

"Not everything," Charlie smiled at her "I do however know a thing or two about police procedures. After all my dad was a cop. I was bound to pick up a few things."

"You know I'm sorry about your dad," Emmaline said moving to give him a hug. 

"I know" his voice hushed "I'm sorry too for shutting everyone out." He looked up catching Andrew's eyes as he continued "I'm sorry that I hurt you. I never meant to do that."

Feeling uncomfortable with the way Charlie was looking at him Andrew glanced away mumbling "it's ok." It wasn't. Not really. It didn't take the pain of being rejected away. He was glad Charlie was there when he needed him. Was gratitude enough to make up for the months of silence between them? He just didn't know how he should be feeling?

"Andy is that all you have to say?" Emmaline demanded looking at her brother in disbelief "he came here to see you. You left your date to be with him. Doesn't that tell you something?"


Charlie put a gentle hand on her shoulder "Emmaline your brother and I need to talk. It's not so simple..."

"Of course it is," she jerked away from him "you just tell each other how much you love each other." She crossed her arms "well I'm waiting."

"I should be going" Charlie said moving towards the door.

"I'll walk you out" Andrew offered ignoring his sister.

"Goodnight Emmie" Charlie said as he opened the door and walked out.

"You're both impossible," she yelled at them "why do I even try?" she stomped up the stairs oblivious of their bewildered stares.

***



"She's certainly persistent" Charlie said as he stopped beside Andrew.

"She is," he mumbled "why are you here?" he asked turning his gaze from the night sky to Charlie.

"Um," he sighed looking away "I came to see you."

"Again I ask why?" Andrew persisted "you were pretty clear when you told me to go live my life." He shuffled his feet kicking at tiny rocks "when I do you show up. Why? Why now?" he demanded. "For months my calls go unanswered. My texts and emails ignored. What changed?" His voice was cut off by Charlie pulling him close and pressing his lips against his. Struggling against him Andrew demanded "what the...."




"I love you," Charlie declared "I've loved you since we were fifteen."

"You have a funny way of showing it," Andrew grumbled taking several steps back.

"Andy please," Charlie took a step towards him "let me explain. I know I've hurt you. I don't deserve your forgiveness..."

Andrew opened his mouth to speak only to find Charlie's hand pressed against his lips. "Don't say anything at least not yet. When I'm done if you want me to go I'll go." He removed his hand when Andrew nodded. "That morning when we woke up in each other's arms," Andrew nodded to indicate he remembered but the pain in his eyes wasn't lost to Charlie. "I was going to tell you I liked you. My nerves got the worst of me and I chickened out. I was afraid you didn't feel the same."

"But I..."

"Then I hit you," Charlie continued as if Andrew hadn't said anything "I felt awful. I didn't think I deserved your forgiveness or love. When you told me at the funeral that you had feelings for me I...." his voice choked up.

"You were punishing yourself, weren't you?" Andrew asked.

"Yes," Charlie took a deep breath to steady himself. "While I felt I didn't deserve you I felt like I was letting my dad down." 

Andrew looked at him curiously "how? I don't understand."

"Before he died," Charlie took a large gulp of air "I didn't think I'd get another chance to tell him. I told him how much I liked you and how I was afraid you didn't feel the same. He woke up briefly....he told me...to tell you."


Andrew closed the gap between them and pulled Charlie close. "It's ok you told me," he rubbed his back as Charlie fell apart sobbing on his shoulder.

Between hiccups Charlie said "it was the last thing he said to me." He leaned into Andrew's embrace "when Emmie sent me that picture..."

"What picture?"

"The one of you and Blake at the beach. I knew I had to tell you. I needed you to know even if it was too late."

Bright lights coming from a car peeling out of the horse stables across the street illuminated them briefly. "That guy was in a hurry," Andrew mumbled.

Frowning Charlie watched the taillights of the car until they faded into the distance. "What kind of car does Blake drive?"

Shrugging "I don't .... " something in Charlies manner had Andrew casting his memory back to earlier that evening. "It's pretty similar to that one. I could be wrong. I'm terrible at makes of cars. Why?"

"I'm sure it's nothing," Charlie shook his head. He had a feeling he finally understood what his dad meant by a gut feeling. .



4 comments:

  1. So many questions. Who is Blake? Is he just a random creep or does he have some sort of a vendetta against the Bennets?
    And who is the purple-haired guy? Is he one of the good guys? Or is he watching the twins for a shady reason? In any case, I think his company can be good for Indira.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good I like to know my writing left the reader with questions. Blake is upset with Andrew/Charlie because of what happened at the restaurant. Could it become a vendetta? Possibly.
      The purple haired guy....well you'll just have to wait and see. He is there for a reason and regardless of his purpose (I could give you a hint but then it would eliminate the question of whether he's a good guy or not) Indira is going to learn a lot from him.
      Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  2. Blake -_- Way to ruin a moment, dude. Actually, I'm more captivated by that mystery guy and what he's doing watching Indira. Obviously someone needs to shut her down but this guy may or may not do it. We don't even know his name! So want to know more about him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blake is a story all his own. The mystery guy...you'll find out soon enough who he is and what he's up to. We don't know his name because Indira hasn't asked him. She hasn't felt the need to know his name. As long as she won't ask he's not telling. They're both kind of stubborn that way. Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete