Thursday, April 7, 2016

4.1 New Beginnings


"Hey short stuff," Andrew said coming into his little sister's room.

She looked up at the sound of his voice then purposely turned away without acknowledging him.

"I'll come home for holidays and stuff," he said as he knelt in front of her.

She sat forward, her long pink hair falling over her shoulders hiding her face "it's not the same," she mumbled.

"I know shortness" he reached up and brushed the hair from her face "you knew this day was coming..."

"I know," she sniffed still refusing to look at him.

"Can't you give me one little smile before I go?" Andrew asked the girl.


Shaking her head Emmaline threw herself onto her pillow sobbing. Andrew stood beside her bed breathing hard, trying to keep from copying her. He hated knowing it would be months before he saw her again. Ever since he had been kidnapped the idea of being away from his family for any length of time would give him severe panic attacks. The only reason he was able to go to University was because his twin was going with him. Stooping he kissed the top of her head before walking towards the door. Stopping briefly in the doorway glancing back, hoping she would relent but she continued to cry into her pillow.

Walking downstairs he found his Mom waiting for him. "Give her time," she said wrapping him in a warm embrace.

"I don't have time," he mumbled into her long purple hair "I'm leaving tonight."

"I know," she kissed his cheek peering lovingly into his eyes "she'll come around."

"I hope so," he said glancing up the stairs hoping to see her bounding down them in her usual bustle of energy.

Squeezing him tight Drew let him go "be good and we'll see you in November."

Nodding he walked outside where his dad stood talking to Indira. He waited silently while his dad hugged and said goodbye to his twin. "Well son, this is it..."


"I'm not ready," he said starting to shake "there's nothing there that I can't learn here."

Seeing the panic in his son's eyes Caleb pulled the boy close. "Son this will be good for you. You need to be able to function without us always being there. There's more to learn at University then facts and figures."

Breathing hard Andrew buried his face in his dad's shoulder "I know but what if I'm not ready? What if I can't do it?" 

"Son you can do this," Caleb patted his son's back "if you get into a situation you can't handle Indira is there to help and if that's not enough your mom and I are only a phone call away." He stroked his son's hair "I have every confidence in you. You can do this."

Nodding Andrew pulled away from him "ok ok I'll try." He gave his dad a lopsided grin "I just wish..." he looked towards the house hoping to see his little sister running towards him.

"She'll come," Caleb told him "don't worry she'll come."

Andrew smiled up at his dad wondering how he could sound so confident. Shrugging he muttered "I don't thinks so. It's a nice thought though." He moved towards the moving van that held all the things they would need while they were away.


"Ready?" Indira asked eager to be on her way.

Looking towards the house one last time Andrew nodded. "You driving first?" he asked.

"Of course" she said walking around to the driver's side. She started the van when they heard someone calling "Andrew wait. Don't go. Andrew." Andrew looked out the window to see Emmaline running towards them, hair and arms waving.

Andrew jumped from the van running towards her. He swung her around causing her to giggle. "So you decided to see me off after all."

Wrapping her arms around his neck "I couldn't let you go without saying goodbye."

"I'm going to miss  you short stuff," he hugged her tight.

Frowning she mumbled against his shoulder "when will you stop calling me that?"


"When you're taller then me," he laughed when she slapped his arm venting her annoyance.

"That will never happen," she looked up at his 6 ft 2 inch frame sighing.

"I know," he smiled down at her "I'm going to miss you a lot."

"I love you too," she squeezed him tight before stepping back "you better go before your highness blows her top."

Glancing back at Indira who was tapping her foot in equal parts irritation and impatience. "The Queen is about to start shouting off with their heads" Andrew quipped in her ear.

"Andrew I'm going to miss you" she stood on her tip toes to kiss his cheek "text me when you get there?"

"Right after I call mom and dad," he assured her walking towards the van feeling better about leaving then he had before.

***


Two days later Andrew drove up to the dormitory he and his sister would be living in their duration at Sim University at least until Indira dumped him for a sorority. He got out stretching his tired muscles. It had taken them two days to drive after they got off the ferry that took them to the main land from Sunlit Tides. He wasn't looking forward to when they had to make the drive home when the term was over.

"Get your lazy ass back here and help me," Indira called from inside the van.

"Watch your language," he chided her.

Rolling her eyes she pointed to several large boxes "you can start with those."

Hopping up inside the van Andrew looked at his twin then at the boxes muttering to himself "I'm so not getting paid enough to do this."

"When you're done with that," she instructed "you can start with these." She pointed at several more boxes


"I'm not your slave," he growled at her while wrestling with one of the large boxes.

"You're my brother," she glanced over her shoulder at him "that's lower then a slave."

He opened his mouth to reply then thought better of it. All it would gain him was a withering look of disdain and a complaint with the parentals about how he wasn't cooperating with her. Indira didn't know the meaning of cooperation. To cooperate to her meant doing as one was told without complaint. He struggled to carry the large heavy box up the stairs nearly dropping it when someone ran past him on their way down. 

A hand reached out steadying him "need help" a familiar voice asked.

"Please," Andrew breathed in relief once they had dumped the box in Indira's room. Andrew turned "I thought that was you" he said smiling at the other boy.

"In the flesh" Charlie grinned. Nodding towards the box "you should have packed lighter or used smaller boxes."


"I did," Andrew told him "this is Indira's."

"I should have known," Charlie shook his head "I suppose that means there's more."

"Oh yeah. I better get back out there before she starts breathing fire," Andrew moved towards the door "thanks for the help."

"Save it until we're done," he said following him.

"You don't have to..."

"I know but judging from the size and weight of that box you'll be dead long before you're done."

***


Once Indira's things were unloaded and she was happily unpacking. It was time for Andrew to unload his things. "Your sister hasn't changed much," Charlie said hopping into the back of the van.

"Nope she's still her overbearing, demanding self," Andrew said distracted with pulling his boxes from the corner Indira had consigned them to. Looking at his old friend "she's still the spoiled drama queen you remember."

"I kind of gathered that by the way she was commanding her slaves," Charlie laughed "I just hope she's gotten over me rejecting her..."

Kicking open the door to his room Andrew dumped the box he was carrying onto the floor. "Don't tell me your interested in her now. If you are, you're asking for trouble."

"Heck no," Charlie shook his head "I just don't want to worry about her thinking I like her since I helped you with her stuff."

"That I wouldn't know," Andrew shook his head "anythings possible."


"Don't you have some weird twin telepathy thing?"

"Sorry," Andrew shook his head leaving the room "we're not that close."

"I'm surprised you're not in the same room" Charlie flashed him a grin as he took another box from the van.

"Indira threw a royal fit at the mere thought sharing a room with me," Andrew sighed "she thought I'd cramp her style if anyone found out we were twins."

"She's way too concerned with what people think and social status," Charlie said "I hope whoever her roommate is she's of the status she wants."

"Or we'll never hear the end of it," Andrew said.


"Why am I getting dragged into this?" 

"You're my friend aren't you?" Andrew asked "as my friend you share in my misery."

"Oh I thought it had something to do with the fact we're roomies."

"We are?" Andrew asked "I didn't know."

"Neither did I until you started dumping your stuff all over my room," Charlie laughed at Andrew's dumbfounded expression "I was worried I was going to have to share a room with a real dweeb..."

***


Charlie looked at his watch "hate to tell you but it's time for orientation."

Groaning Andrew sat up from his bed rubbing his eyes "I didn't even get a chance to relax yet."

"Sorry bud but we've got to go," Charlie ducked the pillow that was thrown at him.

"Is it that important I go," he whined.

"Well if you don't care about getting your class schedule and stuff....then no you can stay here and sleep." Charlie moved towards the door, stopping he asked "you coming?"

"Yeah I'm coming" Andrew stood up and followed Charlie "I hate crowds and meeting people..."

"Stick with me kid and you'll be fine."

"My hero," Andrew put a hand over his heart pretending to swoon.


"Cool it you two," Indira growled "people are watching."

"We weren't doing anything wrong," Andrew complained earning himself a withering glare from his twin. Standing in line to receive their class schedules Andrew noticed the pretty green eyed girl with the multi-colored hair standing to the side of his sister. "Hi I'm Andrew," he stuck his hand out introducing himself an unusual move on his part.

"I'm Sheree," she replied back in a voice barely loud enough to carry above the noise of the crowd 
"I'm your sisters roommate."

"Sorry" Andrew said feeling bad for the girl.

"It's not that bad" the girl said groping for something else to say "she's just..."

"Bossy, demanding, overbearing, spoiled, drama queen" he winked at her growing bolder around the shy quiet girl "I could go on."

"No please stop," the girl laughed "she actually reminds me of my older sister Gwen. She's all those things and then some."

"So you'll get along fine with my twin then" Andrew laughed at the horrified look the girl gave him.

***


"He's not for you," Indira hissed taking Charlie's arm and pulling him to the side. "Andrew may not have noticed the way you look at him but I have."

"I don't know what you're talking about," Charlie protested attempting to walk away.

"Not so fast," Indira tugged on his arm "I had my suspicions that day on the beach. The way you kept looking for him. The way your eyes would light up when he'd come over and talk. Don't try to deny it. You and I both know you like him."

Shaking his head he looked over at his friend talking unaware to the pretty green eyed girl. "I don't think you have anything to worry about."

Indira followed his gaze and smirked "just remember....keep your grubby hands off him. He's not for you."


"Isn't that his decision?" Charlie scowled at her "you act like a jealous ex girlfriend."

"I have aspirations that don't include explaining away a gay brother," she told him her eyes cold as ice.

"Isn't your brother's happiness more important then your social status?" he asked.

She stared at him for a moment unyielding"he'll thank me later from saving him from a life of ridicule."

***


Charlies eyes widened in shock. He was saved from make a comeback by Andrew's voice. "Hey what's up with running off on us like that?"

Charlie shook his head as Indira smiled taking Sheree's arm saying "what was I thinking leaving you alone with my idiot brother?"

Smiling at Andrew the green eyed girl said "oh he was quite charming company." 

The boys watched the girls walk off towards the student union building. Turning to his friend Andrew asked "was Indira renewing her interest in you?"

"Err yeah something like that," Charlie said moving off in the wake of the girls.

"Hey what's wrong?" Andrew asked "I know she comes across brash but she really has a heart of gold underneath all that veneer."


"If you say so," he mumbled. He jerked away when Andrew touched his arm.

"What's wrong?" Andrew asked in concern "if she wasn't professing her undying love for you. What was she saying to put you in this foul mood?"

Crossing his arms Charlie glared at him "if you must know she was warning me away from you."

"What? Why?" Andrew asked astounded.

"She has this crazy idea that I like you" Charlie blurted looking away.

His horrified looked wasn't missed by Andrew. He assumed it was disgust at the idea of being attracted to him. Andrew felt a twinge of disappointment twist his insides. To cover up his true feelings he said "that's ridiculous. We're just friends, right?"


"Yeah friends," Charlie agreed in a flat lifeless tone.

They received their schedules. They had a many of the same classes together. As Andrew chattered away happily regarding their luck in getting the same classes Charlie rubbed the bridge of his nose. 
Breaking into Andrew's chatter he announced "I'm going back to the room."

"Huh?" Andrew watched him turn to leave "what happened to protecting me?"

"You can take care of yourself," he said pushing through the crowd "you don't need me."

"What if I want you?" Andrew asked following him "you're like the only friend I have here." His anxiety building inside him.

"What about Indira? The green eyed girl?" Charlie asked walking faster.

Stopping Andrew watched him go. Indecision had him staring at his friends back as he walked away. 

***


"Is your friend alright?" a soft quiet voice asked nearby.

Shaking his head sighing "I hope so." He turned to smile at the girl who had spoken "why aren't you inside with the Indira?"

Shrugging "I don't know anyone and I'm not comfortable meeting strangers. Your sister promised not to leave me but..."

"She dumped you at the first opportunity that came along," Andrew finished for her "I'm not much for large crowds but if you'd like I could walk you back to the dorm?"

"Thank you" she smiled sweetly up at him "that would be nice" she said taking his arm.

They walked in silence, each trapped in their own thoughts. They reached the dorm when Andrew hesitantly said "it's a nice night. Would you like to look at the stars with me?"

She looked up into his gray eyes smiling softly "I'd like that."


Guiding her to a spot on the lawn where they had a better view of the night sky Andrew sat on the ground. Sheree followed leaning into him "Do you know much about astronomy?"

"Not really," he shrugged "I just find it peaceful to gaze into the night sky." He looked into her green eyes unable to read the emotion within them.

She blinked looking away a shy smile playing across her lips. "It's a bit chilly," she said sitting up "I'll see  you later," she said when Andrew didn't make a move to follow.

"Yeah" he grunted staring up at the stars missing the look of disappointment that flashed across her face before she turned and walked way.




4 comments:

  1. Indira, your brother's happiness is much more important than what a few questionable persons might think about you. I do wonder if Charlie really does like him or if it's something she just thinks. It does seem like he has a crush on him. But Sheree is pretty nice too. They both seem like they could make good partners.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's going to take a while for Indira to learn that appearances and what people think aren't all that important. Right now portraying the right image is all she's worried about. Their may also be a little bit of jealousy on her part too. She doesn't understand why Charlie would like her brother more than her. But she could be imagining there's more between them there actually is. Sheree is a sweetie. You're right either one would be a good fit for Andrew. Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  2. Is Sheree related to Kyle somehow? His daughter? Her hair looks so familiar! Which makes me wonder aren't they related somehow or if she was related to Kyle, wouldn't she be related to Andrew? I'm overthinking this LOL. Charlie is super adorable. I hope all works out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sheree is Kyle and Elliot's youngest child. She's the perfect mix with Elliot's green eyes and Kyle's hair. They aren't blood related since Andrew is only related to Beverly and her son she had with Adam. Charlie is adorable. We'll be seeing a lot of him ;) Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete