Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Generation 2, Chapter 23 Part 1

 

Shon found himself dreading going into the house. The looks of despair upon his wife's face coupled with Patricia's, it nearly broke him up inside. He knew someone had to keep it together, so he dug deep inside himself for the strength to be the rock everyone needed him to be. It had been four weeks since Robert was taken and still no sign that the aliens were coming back.

After the initial shock, Evelyn pulled herself together enough to go back to work. She hoped that she would be able to help the astronomers on base search for intrsteller activity. Shon knew she was desperate to keep herself busy and her mind occupied to keep from falling into depression. Sighing loudly Shon ushered up the fortitude to enter the house.


Coming into the kitchen Shon was suprised to find it empty. Listening he heard Robbie and Jennifer chattering to each other. Walking upstairs, Shon wondered where everyone was, he expected to find Evelyn in Robbies room. But upon entering, he found the kids happily playing in the playpen alone.

Lifting his head Robbie smiled saying "Daddy home."


Jennifer spun around in expectation, her smile fading into tears. Shon quickly picked her up trying to comfort her as she cried "Daddy not home. I want Daddy."

"I know sweetheart," Shon cooed trying to comfort the distraught toddler, "you miss your Daddy." She nodded her little head, too young to understand why her daddy was gone. Once Shon was able to calm her down and dry her tears he put her back in the playpen. He watched as Robbie hugged her close, he smiled at them, before leaving Shon ruffled Robbie's hair. As he left the room his smiled faded, letting his concern crease his forehead as the silence felt unnatural and ominous. Racing down the stairs imagining all kinds of things, knowing the girls wouldn't willingly leave the babies alone. He burst into the bedroom, the door banging against the wall.


Shock momentarily silenced him as he took in what was happening, then anger washed over him as he demanded "what the hell do you think you're doing?"

Startled Patricia jumped putting her hand to her chest. "I'm leaving," she said turning back to throwing clothes into a suitcase.


"Your what? Why?" Shon asked struggling to understand.

"I can't do this," she mumbled wiping tears from her eyes.

"Can't do what?" Shon shouted at her, "marriage, be a mother, live in this house, what exactly can't you do?" As he spoke he walked closer to where she stood immobile, staring into her suitcase as if it held the answers. He barely heard her whispered reply "the aliens."
 



Shon reached out and grabbed her arm. He felt her begin to shake as she was convulsed with sobs. Drawing her close, he held her tight while she cried on his shoulder. "You knew when you married him there was a strong possibility of him being abducted. You told him you could handle it, that you'd be here waiting for him. Was all that a lie?"

"No I thought I could but I can't. I didn't know what it'd be like. It's like my heart's been ripped out and I have this gaping hole and it hurts too much.  I ... I just want the pain to go away. I want to look at my daughter without bursting into tears. To touch her hair and not think of him and how I enjoyed watching the light catch the golden highlights in it. I want to feel her arms snuggling around me without it reminding me of  him." Her voice dissolved as she choked on sobs.


Holding her tight Shon said "honey, running away won't make the pain go away. Your daughter will still remind you of him. You know this isn't the answer." Shon continued to hold her, letting her cry herself out. He kept thinking he had to do whatever he could to help her. He wouldn't stand idly by and watch her walk out of Robert's life before he was able to come home and do something about it.

Slowly Patricia calmed down. Looking up at him she said "I'm sorry, you're right. I don't know what came over me." Looking at the half packed suitcase she said "I just got to thinking that if I wasn't here I wouldn't feel so bad. But no matter where I go I'll still be miserable, missing him, wondering where he's at, if he's alright."   Looking at Shon with large frightened eyes she said in a low voice "he'd never forgive me for running out on him, for giving up" Sitting down on the edge of the bed "what am I going to do?"


Patting her shoulder Shon said "he'll understand. He knows the stress and heartache all of this puts on the family. You know it too, from your parents experience."

"That doesn't help," she said putting her head in her hands. "I can't believe I almost did what my mother did to my father. Pack up the kids and move, that nearly destroyed my father. What was I thinking? I'm a horrible person."


Kneeling in front of her, shon said "Honey it's going to be alright. You can get through this. Robert will come home. He's going to need you and all the love you can give him. Do you think you can do that? If not, you should go ahead and pack."

Lifting her head in shock, eyes swimming in tears she considered Shon's words, letting them sink in. "No I'm not my mother. I may panic.  I may temporarily lose my mind but I won't quit. I won't abandon my husband." Reaching out she grabbed Shon's shoulder "I love him and I want to be here when he comes home."


"I know you do honey," Shon said getting up. "Can I help you put all this stuff away?"

Smiling through her tears "No I can manage." As she started to unpack she asked "Do you know what's keeping Evelyn? It's getting late, shouldn't she be home by now?"


"I'll giver her a call," Shon said as he tried not to worry. His call went to voice mail, he left a message and disconnected. Wondering where she could be, well maybe ... he reached for his phone again "hello Dad? .... Is Evelyn over there? .... When did she leave? .... "  Panic knifed through him as he listened. "But that was over two hours ago .... no she isn't home. I wouldn't have called if she was .... no you're right, I'm sorry .... I'm really worried .... If you could, Patricia could use the company .... Thanks Dad."


He looked up seeing his worry mirrored in Patricia's face, he explained "Evelyn was visiting her Dad and the kids but she left over two hours ago. What could be taking her so long?"

"Maybe she had a flat tire?" Patricia suggested.

"It wouldn't take her two hours to change a tire." Coming to a decision he said "I'm going to go look for her." As he grabbed his keys he told Patricia "William is coming over to be with you."

"No I'm alright. I'm sure he'd rather be out looking for her too."

"Your sure you'll be alright?"

"I'm positive. One melt down a day is enough." Patricia told him as she inwardly prayed Evelyn was alright.


An hour later, Shon was parked along side the road discussing with William where else they could look.

"Dad where could she be? We've looked everywhere." Shon said beginning to panic as he paced beside the parked cars. His phone began to vibrate grabbing it, he anticipated it being Evelyn as he said "babe where have you been? I've been so worried ..." He dropped to his knees as the call ended, the blood draining from his head. William raced to his side knowing instinctively the call wasn't from Evelyn.

"Shon what's wrong? What's happened?"

Looking into William's concerned face, Shon tried to focus to comprehend what he was told. "That was the hospital, they said .... they said Evelyn was in a car accident. Her car went over a cliff and she's in surgery." Shon tried to stagger to his feet but feinted half way up. William caught him before he hit the ground.




 

4 comments:

  1. Off a cliff? O_o definitely Shon's dad's doing! He never liked her because she was an alien! I can't believe that Patricia almost left, but hopefully Robert comes back soon. It's too much stress on the family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll see but you're right he doesn't like aliens and would be happy to see Evelyn gone forever. Patricia wasn't thinking straight and thankfully Shon was there to talk some sense into her. She really does love Robert and under normal circumstances she would never have entertained the idea of leaving.

      Delete
  2. I have a sneaking suspicion Shon's dad sabotaged Evelyn's car... he made many threats on their wedding day, and considering he's been in prison, I think he wouldn't be immune to doing such a thing. Yikes... now that you explained some stuff in the Van Winkle's... that stuff is affecting Patricia now and making her slowly lose her mind? O_O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It shouldn't be affecting her yet. Robert won't start producing the pheromones until after he becomes impregnated with an alien child. So this is Patricia in a full blown panic attack and doing stupid stuff. Like Shon told her if she wasn't willing to love and support Robert when he came back she should go ahead and leave. But she stayed. She does really love Robert but she isn't immune to her upbringing either and sometimes she finds herself doing things that her mother would do. Unfortunately this trait is going to come up later and she'll regret it for the rest of her life.:(

      Delete