Saturday, August 2, 2014

Generation 2, Chapter 8


Gene came inside and changed clothes before speaking to Pearl. He knew what was coming and hoped to put it off for awhile. When Gene came out of his room he slouched against the wall, waiting for Pearl to begin.


Pearl looked at Gene, knowing this was going to be difficult but she had to go through with it. "Gene I want to know why you did it."

Gene shrugged "Because."


"Because, that's not a reason." Pearl said in exasperation. "Don't you get it? I would have been responsible if you had taken the pills and died. How could you do that to me?" Pearl said as she paced the floor coming to a stop in front of Gene.

"I don't know. I'm sorry. I wasn't thinking about anyone else other than me."

"That's not good enough," Pearl almost shouted "You lied to me. How can I ever trust you again?"


"What do you want me to say? I already said I was sorry. What more do you want?" Gene said crossing his arms staring defiantly at her.

Pearl threw up her hands in disgust saying "I don't ever want to see you again!"




"Fine," Gene shouted walking away, slamming his bedroom door behind him. He threw himself on his bed burying his head in his pillow. He couldn't believe it took her this long to break up with him. Good riddance he didn't need her. He didn't need anybody. There was a soft knock on the door before his Dad walked in.


"Son are you alright?" William asked in concern.

"I'm fine." Gene said through his pillow.

"I know it hurts when things don't work out ..."

"Dad please, I don't want to talk about it," Gene said sitting up.




"I know you don't but you can't keep it all bottled inside either," William tried to persuade Gene to talk to him, sitting beside him on the bed.

Gene looked sideways at his Dad and growled "Your not going to leave are you are until I talk?"

"No son I'm not. I already know what happens when you refuse to talk about things."



"How many times do I have to tell you I'm fine." Gene stood up and started to walk away. William reached out to stop him but Gene pushed past him. "Son, please talk to me."



"Just leave me alone," Gene shouted, pushing William forcefully backwards into the dresser behind him. Williams head smacked into the sharp corner of the dresser with a sickening thud. William laid there stunned, his vision dimming around the edges and growing dark. He heard Gene moving beside him.



"Dad, Dad? Oh God, please be alright," Gene pleaded above him. Gene dropped to his knees as he realized what he had done. It had happened so fast and yet he felt like he was moving in slow motion. He couldn't believe this was happening, muttering to himself "What have I done? I didn't mean to do it. Please, please be ok."

The door opened and Casey walked in. Stopping in wide-eyed horror Casey asked "What did you do?"

"I didn't. I was upset." Gene stammered uneasy at the accusatory look Casey was giving him. "It was an accident."




Casey stormed out of the room and immediately came back with Robert. Rushing over and dropping to his knees beside his Dad, he asked "Gene what happened?"


Gene watched Robert put his hand under William's head, pulling back in shock. It was covered in blood. Gene felt Casey grab him, demanding to know what happened.

"Casey calm down," Robert demanded "I'm sure whatever happened was an accident." He had to shout to be heard above the ensuing argument between his brothers.


"Yeah right," Casey said eyeing Gene, not willing to give him the benefit of a doubt.

"It was an accident," Gene insisted looking down at Robert he asked "is he alright?"




"There's an awful lot of blood here. He must have hit his head pretty hard." Standing up Robert went over to Casey and shook him to gain his attention. "Go tell Mom. I think we may need an ambulance too."



Snapping out of his anger, Casey went to get their Mom. Meanwhile Robert had Gene help him move their Dad away from the dresser so that he could lay flat on the floor. Gene kneeled there, running his hands through his hair, repeating to himself "I didn't mean to. I didn't think I pushed him so hard." Gene felt a hand on his shoulder and looked up into the concerned eyes of his older brother.

"Gene I don't know what happened but I'm sure Dad wouldn't want you to blame yourself."

Gene stared at Robert in disbelief. He didn't understand, this was all his fault. He was the one who pushed their Dad. The most important person in his life, who only wanted to help and he repaid that concern by brutally pushing him. His mind reeled at the implications, he was the worst son that ever existed.


Their Mom ran into the room. At the sight of William on the floor and the blood she paled and swayed on her feet. Robert reached out to steady her as she asked "What happened?"

"I, I pushed him," Gene said as tears streamed down his face. "I only wanted him to leave me alone, to back off. I didn't mean to push him so hard."


"You, you pushed him?" Jessica asked hoping she had misunderstood him. "What's wrong with you?"

"I don't know," Gene cried unprepared for his Mother's accusation. Hanging his head he mumbled "I'm sorry."


"Get out! Get out of my sight," Jessica shouted uncaring how her words affected him.

"Mmmmmom," Gene faltered on the verge of breaking down.



"There's no excuse for what you've done. Just get out. I can't stand the sight of you," Jessica cried unreasonably.

Robert watched as Gene fled from the room. Worried that in Gene's current state of mind he would do something drastic, Robert ran after him. "Gene stop. She's upset and saying things she doesn't mean."


Slowing Gene turned to Robert crying "She meant every word. There's no excuse for what I've done but I know how to end it." Before Robert realized what he was going to do, Gene grabbed one of knives from the chopping block. Robert swung and tackled him to the floor before he had a chance to slice his wrists. They struggled on the floor until Robert was able to wrestle the knife away from him.



Holding Gene down, Robert screamed for Evelyn. "Call his doctor. Tell him Gene is having a crisis and he needs to get here quick." Gene continued to struggle beneath him. "Quit struggling, you're only going to hurt yourself."


Evelyn came back saying "The doctor is on his way." As Robert struggled with Gene, Casey was showing the EMT's in.


"Ma'am if you could stand aside so we have room to work." Jessica slowly got up and went to stand beside Casey. The EMTs looked up and smiled reassuringly "I'm sure he'll be ok. He needs several stitches and he has a probable concussion. He'll have a bad headache for several days. We'll take him to the hospital where they'll ex-ray his head wound and he'll probably need to spend a day or two in the hospital. But he should be ok."


As they were loading William onto the gurney, the doctor arrived. Evelyn let him in and waved him towards the kitchen, where Robert was still struggling with Gene.


"Why'd you stop me?" Gene was crying. "I'm no good. All I cause is pain and suffering."

The Doctor pressed his lips together as he prepared a sedative. "Robert keep him steady," he said as he administered the sedative. Slowly Gene ceased his futile struggles and became quiet. The doctor went to speak with the EMT's that were bringing William out. They agreed to take Gene to the hospital as well.



 

4 comments:

  1. I want Gene to be heir. His story is so interesting! It isn't his fault though! I didn't like how mean his own mother was being! That's her son, he should come first. She didn't even give him a chance. Poor Gene :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gene has a long road ahead of him and with his depression and suicidal tendencies being heir may be more than he can handle. The next chapter you'll find out who the heir is.
      Jessica really wasn't thinking straight plus she never did have a very good relationship with Gene. Really not an excuse for being mean but she needed William to calm her down. Sometimes Jessica really fails in the supportive, understanding, nurturing role of wife and mother. At least Robert was there looking out for him, he knew that's what his Dad would have wanted. Now he's where he can get some help.

      Delete
  2. *sigh* Jessica... LOL, she's really bad with kids... you can't say stuff like that to a suicidal person. I think Gene still isn't fully recovered since he was still unwilling to open up to William, and keeping his feelings bottled up was what got him into trouble in the first place. I'm glad Gene got taken to the hospital too, he needs some supervision for a little while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessica is horrible with her kids. She should never have said the things she did to Gene, it only pushed him over the edge. Her attitude towards her kids; especially towards Gene is only going to get worse.

      You're right Gene wasn't fully recovered and that was William's concern when Pearl came over and wanted to talk. Gene isn't good at dealing with things and when William insisted on talking about it he lost control. Hopefully at the hospital Gene will have the care and supervision he needs.

      Delete