Wednesday, July 27, 2016

4.11 The Art of Communication


"Aren't you going to answer that?" the boy asked as he brought his dishes over to the sink. He washed his bowl, averting his eyes from the ever growing pile of dirty dishes that Indira managed to ignore.

Indira glanced at her phone frowning seeing her mother's number flash on her screen. Briefly she wondered if her mom was calling to apologize. She should Indira thought after the way they treated her. How could they ignore her ideas and opinions? She knew she wasn't their favorite child. It still didn't give them the right to be so spiteful towards her.

"Why don't you talk to them?" he asked sitting down at the table sipping his coffee.

"I don't have anything to say to them," she mumbled munching on her toast.

"How about saying your sorry?" he suggested.

Glancing up her nostrils flaring "me apologize to them whatever for?" She continued to expound upon all the reasons why they owed her an apology. How they were in the wrong.

He let her words roll over him. When silence fell he knew it was his turn to say something. It was a deliberate ploy she used when she felt argumentative. She'd purposely leave her sentiment's hanging for him to rebuff her. Standing he took his cup to the sink repeating the process of cleaning it like the bowl before. With his back to her he said "your the one who moved out because you called them immature and an embarrassment. I believe you said they were standing in your way of accomplishing your goals. Why on earth can you believe they owe you an apology? If I ever spoke to my parents like that they'd disown me."


She scowled at him as she walked towards him to dump her dirty dishes on top of the other dishes waiting to be washed. "By now they should have realized how right I am in my observations and be begging me to come home to help them with the much needed changes they need to make. Changes that need to be made if I'm ever to make it big in my career."

"What career?" he asked leaning against the counter "You've been here a month and you haven't made an attempt to get a job."

"Don't be ridiculous. I'm still in college. When I have my degree I'll get the job of my dreams, one I deserve." She turned walking from the room.

"You still owe me for last months rent and rent is due again in a couple of days" he called after  her.
She stopped making a show of turning around to glare at him. "What's your point?"

"This is the real world," he crossed his arms staring at her "either you pay your half of the expenses or you can get the hell out." He pushed off the counter striding towards her "and do the damn dishes."


He brushed against her as he strode from the room. She refused to give him the satisfaction of acknowledging him. Who did he think he was? How dare he tell her what to do? Not even her parents had the gull to talk to her like that. She was still daddy's little princess despite their current misunderstanding.

Turning she left the kitchen and dirty dishes behind. Sooner or later he'd give in and do the dishes himself. Money for rent was another thing. She had money in savings. She didn't intend to dip into that unless it was absolutely necessary. Rent wasn't it, at least not yet. She could go without paying for another month maybe two. What was he going to do? Kick her out. Not likely. All she'd have to do was turn on the water works and he'd be putty in her hands. No worries.

Sitting in the living room she turned the TV on. She couldn't stand the quiet especially when her mind was in such a whirl. Picking up the paper she glanced at the help wanted ads. How could he suggest she reduce herself and get one of these demeaning jobs? Not one was suitable for someone with her pedigree. She'd die of embarrassment to list them on her resume. She tossed the paper aside disgusted. No she'd just have to ride this out. School would be starting soon anyway. Then she'd be back in the dorm receiving regular checks from her dad to cover all of her expenses. She couldn't wait to be far away from her roommates disapproving glares.



Adjusting his tie Randy surveyed his image in the mirror. He looked presentable. The image of someone on his way to the top. If he did well on today's presentation he could receive the promotion to junior assistant manager. He could tell the shrew of a possible job opening in his firm. Shaking is head at his image in the mirror he thought better of it. It was bad enough having to share a house with the princess led alone having to see her face everyday at his place of employment.

Skipping down the stairs he found her spread out on the couch in front of the TV. "If your not careful you're going to become a frumpy old cow" he told her as he opened the front door. He didn't bother to look behind him. He knew if looks could kill he'd be dead. Just like he'd die of shock if he came home to find the dishes washed and the sink empty. He couldn't wait for school to start again. They'd be back in the dorm and all he'd have to do was make sure he avoided coming into contact with her.

They were almost out of clean dishes. Which didn't concern him much. He had an extra set in his room. He'd wash what he used and take them back to his room. Indira could eat off the floor for all he cared. He would not clean up after her. He could be just as stubborn as her if he needed to be.

An idea occurred to him that brought a smile to his face. He wondered what she would do if he took a picture of her mess and posted it to Simbook. Everything she did was focused on image. Would she want her future employers knowing how lazy she was? Probably not. The more he thought about it the more he liked it.

The only downside if he were to through with it would be his death. It might be worth it even then. At least he'd die happy.

***


"No answer," Caleb said watching Drew nod sadly. He pulled her close "it's her choice if she wants to talk to us or not."

"I know," Drew sniffed "I just wish I knew what we did to make her hate us so much."

"We didn't do anything," Caleb told her firmly "we haven't done anything but love her and give her everything she ever needed or wanted."

"Maybe we should have made her work for the things she wanted..."

"She'd still feel like the world owed her something. Indira feels entitled to everything and thinks she deserves it for very little effort on her part. Hopefully this jaunt into the real world will help adjust her thinking." He sighed wearily "I just wish she'd talk to us. Let us know whether she's planning on going to school this fall or not."

"When is the tuition due?" Drew asked moving to stand by the window.

"Next week" he replied "they won't give me another extension. If she doesn't return my calls by then she'll have to figure something out if she hasn't already."



"You know she probably expects us to pay for it..."

"I know. That's the problem. She has to learn to appreciate the things she has. She can't go around disrespecting us and expecting us to fall all over ourselves to please her. No" he shook his head "it's time she grows up."

Taking his hand as he came along side her Drew sighed "you know I'll support you no matter what."

"I know," he turned to gaze into her eyes "when she finds out I didn't send the check she's going to be livid..."

Shrugging Drew reached up to stroke his cheek "let her. It's time she learns not to bite the hand that feeds her."

"Is that why I'm missing a couple of fingers?" he quipped smiling down at her.

"Where?" she asked "I'll kiss it and make it better." Her lips grazed his knuckles.

***


"What do you think?" Charlie asked watching Andrew's face closely "do you like it?"

Surveying the room a smile tugged at the corners of his mouth. "It's not the color we decided on" he took a step closer to Charlie slipping an arm around the other man's waist "but I like it." 

"Like it enough to live here?" Charlie asked a slight lilt in his voice indicating he was teasing him.

Pulling away Andrew lost his smile "I'm not...I mean...I" he slammed his mouth shut afraid of saying too much. Afraid to ruin whatever he and Charlie had together.

"Hey what's the matter?" Charlie asked following Andrew down the stairs into the garage.



"Don't you think we're moving too fast?" Andrew asked arms crossed shoulders hunched.

"I didn't mean now," Charlie moved away from him to lean against the side of a car "eventually I hope you will want to live with me."

"You do?" the look of surprise upon Andrew's face was enough for Charlie to chuckle in amusement.

"I do," he said in mock seriousness "when the time is right. We're both only nineteen. We have plenty of time to figure things out." He pushed off the car "I didn't mean to make you feel pressured."

Looking down his toes kicking at the floor "I knew you were teasing. I could hear it in your voice. I...I panicked." Sighing he hugged himself "I'm sorry."


Sensing there was more to it then he was letting on. Charlie took a step forward "it's because of him isn't it?"

Andrew nodded swallowing hard half turning away from the sympathetic look upon Charlies face "I overreacted. I'm sorry."

It had been a month since the incident in the hardware store. He tried to be understanding and patient. At times he felt he was the one being punished. He was finding it increasingly more difficult to hide his growing frustration at the way Andrew would flinch from his touch or cower when he happened to disagree with him.

"It's not you," Andrew said turning to face him "it's not entirely him either." He couldn't bring himself to say Blake's name. He could only refer to him as 'him'. A nameless entity something that couldn't hurt him. If only that were true he thought.

"Can you talk to me about it?" Charlie asked standing still not wanting to make Andrew feel cornered or trapped. "Help me to understand what's going on inside you."


Nodding Andrew opened the door into the backyard. Charlie followed and silently sat beside him in the grass. Pulling at the green blades Andrew remained silent for several minutes before sighing. "Do you ever feel like your life is careening out of control?"

Snorting Charlie nodded "ever since I lost my dad."

Silence fell between them once again. "I'm sorry," Andrew muttered "I didn't mean to bring up bad feelings." He moved to get up.

Charlie put out a hand to stop him "it's ok" he said quietly "I'm coming to terms with it. But this isn't about me."

"I know" he replied his voice barely above a whisper "I hate the feeling of being out of control." He wrung his hands together looking away "that's not exactly it. It's more like I'm afraid of being controlled."


"I don't want to control you" Charlie affirmed "I'm sorry if I made you feel that way."

"I overreacted," he mumbled obviously hoping Charlie would drop the subject. 

Reaching over Charlie caressed his cheek "why? Why did you overreact. What were you feeling at that moment. I want to help you."

Andrew leaned into Charlie drawing comfort from his proximity. "I know you'd never hurt me," he said instead of responding to Charlie's request. Charlie remained silent sensing there was more. He put an arm around Andrew hoping he would open up and tell him what was running through his mind.

"I..." his voice choked as he cast his mind back to the moment he freaked. "It's not the thought of moving in with you. I'd like that someday."


His confession brought a smile to Charlies lips brightening his eyes.

Andrew's forehead creased in worry as he struggled to explain what he was thinking and feeling at that moment. "I...." he turned to look up into Charlies eyes "I don't want you to think you did anything wrong. I could tell you were teasing." He took a deep breath "I overreacted. I felt like I did when I had been kidnapped. I had no choice. I had to do what I was told." He buried his face in Charlies shoulder "I felt like that with Blake. Like I had no choice." Breathing deeply he mumbled "I'm sorry."

"Sorry for what?" Charlie asked pulling him close wishing he could wrap Andrew in a protective bubble where no one could hurt him. "You have nothing to be sorry for."

"But I have," he cried pulling away from Charlie's comforting embrace "I lumped you in with my kidnapper and Blake. You're nothing like them." 

"You can't help how you feel," Charlie soothed "I'm not mad or upset. You had a knee jerk reaction to what you thought I was saying."


"I don't understand," Andrew said sitting up staring at Charlie.

"Just think about it," Charlie urged nuzzling into him "when you were five or six someone took you from your home. You had no choice. You had to listen to him or suffer the consequences." Andrew nodded recalling how he had been slapped to make him stop crying. "Then Blake tried to make you go with him from the hardware store. Hitting you because you refused to obey him. I could see how that could bring you right back to being that scared little boy again."

He stopped to tenderly wipe the tears that formed and ran down Andrew's cheeks. "Then when I indicated you'd live with me I think it brought you right back to being taken from your family."

"I'm sorry," Andrew said once again "you deserve someone better than me."

"Don't say that," Charlie cried as Andrew got to his feet.


"I'm broken."

Charlie caught his arm before he could run away "you're not some toy to be discarded when it grows old or broken. You're so much more than that."

"I am?" he asked looking up at Charlie in wonder  "even when I freak out?"

"Even when," Charlie pulled him close squeezing him tight "I promise to be patient if you promise to talk to me. Tell me when I do something that triggers you."

"I'll try," he promised "I don't always know what bothers me until it does."


"I guess I'll have to be on my toes from now on," Charlie said with a smile.

"Maybe with shoes on ready to catch me when I run," Andrew said looking up eyes bright.

"Do you plan on running?" Charlie asked raising an eyebrow.

"Maybe" he replied as he pulled away from him.

"Hey" Charlie called as Andrew took off running across the lawn.

"Catch me if you can," he shouted back laughing.




After chasing Andrew around the yard for a half an hour Charlie managed to tackle him to the ground. Breathing hard he said "I caught you."

Struggling beneath him "I let you."

"Liar," he leaned forward hypnotized by Andrews full soft lips mere inches from his own.

"Kiss him already" Emmaline called from her bedroom window.

"I think I will" he murmured moments before bringing his lips down to Andrew's. It felt so right to be holding his love in his arms, pressing his lips up against his. Their mutual desire intensified their kiss until they pulled away from each other gasping for breath. "I love you" they said together.




4 comments:

  1. Charlie and Andrew are so sweet together! I love how understanding Charlie is of Andrew's triggers and how he makes sure to help.
    I laughed way too hard at Indira's and her roommate's situation. Mostly because I actually had that roommate (twice!) who wouldn't do the dishes for months. I wish I had that guy's attitude- usually I'd just be grossed out and do the dishes myself.
    I admit, posting the mess on facebook never occured to me (unfortunately). So, I'm excited to see what he'll do to bring her off her high horse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IKR they're becoming one of my favorite couples. Charlie has grown up a lot since losing his dad. He wants to be there for Andrew. Andrew was deeply affected by his past experiences unfortunately doesn't understand how much. It's just starting to show.
      Indira wouldn't want her laziness broadcast for all to see. She's been spoiled and it's going to be difficult for her to change her ways. She believes everyone else should change to accommodate her. What I don't understand is how she can live with someone and still not know her roommates name!
      I find it difficult ignore someone else's mess. I would eventually give in and clean it too. Fun things are about to happen. We'll see how she adapts.
      Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  2. Emmaline is too much lol Wait until its her turn, Charlie and Andrew are going to tease her so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She will definitely get what's coming to her.
      Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete