Sunday, November 8, 2015

3.16 Our Legacy Begins


"Mr Gray you can come back now," the nurse said smiling confidently down at him.

"Is she .... is she alright?" he asked standing to follow her.

"The doctor will be in shortly to talk to you both," the nurse told him as she turned and left the room.

"Caleb," Drew murmured from the bed. Taking her hand he tried his best to muster up a reassuring smile for her. "No matter what we'll get through this together." He bent over and kissed her
forehead.

The door opened before he could say anything else. An older man walked in "Mr and Mrs Gray the surgery went as well as expected." The doctor paused to gather his thoughts watching as the couple exchanged worried glances. "In my professional opinion the fetus is ok ..."


Caleb felt some of his pent up anxiety melt at the doctor's words. He looked down at his lovely wife and smiled. He gently wiped a few tears from her cheeks.

Clearing his throat the doctor continued "however the pregnancy is going to be extremely difficult and any subsequent pregnancies will be high risk." He saw the terrified expressions replace the relief of a few moments before. He sighed before continuing "if this wasn't your first pregnancy I would recommend terminating...."

"No absolutely not," Drew shook her head tears rolling down her cheeks "I won't....I won't."

Caleb felt her clinging to him, feeling helpless to do anything about her anguished cries. Why did this keep happening to him? Was there some universal law that said he Caleb Gray couldn't have what he longed to have? Children. Children of his own with his particular DNA. Was that too much to ask for?

"I didn't think you would consider that option." The doctor turned to Drew "I'll do whatever I can to see you come to term and have a healthy baby. That does mean you will be on strict bed rest. No lifting. No carrying. No stairs. For the duration of this pregnancy you will need to let this strong young man wait on you hand and foot. I will have the nurse set up a schedule for you to come in to see me."


"Doctor," Caleb's voice was low and hoarse "is there anything else we can do?"

"Stay positive. My specialty is difficult pregnancies. Do as I say and follow my instructions and we'll deliver a healthy baby. When we get closer to the end of the pregnancy I'll want Drew here at the hospital just to be safe. We'll take every precaution we can." He smiled at them "together we'll bring this baby into the world."

"Then why did you...."

"I wouldn't be a very good doctor if I didn't tell you like it is and give you your options." He smiled again "stay positive and if you have any concerns, fears anything at all don't hesitate to call me day or night."

Caleb took the proffered card and pocketed the doctor's contact information. Turning to Drew with worried eyes he asked "are you sure about this? We can always adopt..."


"I'm positive," she grabbed his hand and put it on her stomach "this is our baby, our legacy."

"Drew I...I don't want to lose you." Caleb felt his throat close unable to say everything that he was feeling he dropped his face to her shoulder.

Running her fingers through his hair she said the only thing she was sure of "you won't. Emit kept us together for a reason. He brought you to this universe so you could have a legacy. This is your legacy."

Caleb heard her words, she sounded so confident, so sure. If only he felt the same. There was nothing that promised him he would have both his wife and child. What if he got the child he always wanted at the expense of Drew's life? The doctor did say this was a high risk pregnancy. High risk for both mother and baby. What would he do without her? Had the whole Gray legacy changed when Ambrose arrived here? Tayla was pregnant...maybe this world, this universe didn't need anymore Grays. Had fate decided again that the Gray with the legacy was Ambrose and not him. A sob escaped from deep within at the unfairness of it all. "Drew I can't lose you" he looked up at her with tears streaming from his eyes "I just can't.

Taking her hands and holding his face "I won't give up on our baby. We will get through this together. The doctor gave us our options. Fine. I'll take the risk but I won't give up. Don't ask me to give up. I will fight with my dying breath to give our child a chance to live. Won't you fight with me?"


"Drew I'm sorry," he lifted his hands to hers "if it means that much to you I'll do .... I'll be anything you need me to be."

"Caleb what I need you to be is you. The man that I love." Looking deep into his reddened eyes before continuing "I need you to be strong. To wrap your arms around me like you'll never let me go."

***

It was a long stressful pregnancy for everyone in the house. The baby continued to grow. The doctor was positive that the baby would be healthy with no signs of abnormalities or birth defects. His one concern was how small the baby was and as a precaution he insisted on Drew being hospitalized once she was thirty weeks into the pregnancy.

On week thirty-five Drew was awakened in the middle of the night with severe back pain. Pushing the call button she waited for the on call nurse to come. Drew tried to find a more comfortable position to lie in but the pain increased. As the nurse walked in Drew frowned, it was a young inexperienced girl. Drew didn't have much time to dwell upon it when she screamed in pain as a contraction hit her hard. The nurse ran to her side. Looking up Drew shouted at her "call the doctor I think the baby's coming."

Wide eyed the nurse did as she was told. Once the call was made the nurse made one more to a very tired and stressed young father to be.

***

Jumping from the bed Caleb ran from the room screaming "Ambrose the baby's coming." He ran to the bathroom and splashed water onto his face. Heart pounding Caleb caught his reflection in the mirror. Was he ready to be a father? Was it actually going to happen? After two life times was he actually going to hold his own child in his arms? Have a little one call daddy and know it was him the child wanted it?

A knock on the door had him jumping as Ambrose came in to check on him. "Uncle Caleb you need to get dressed," he told him "baby's won't wait. It's coming whether your ready or not."

"I know I was just...oh god this is actually happening," Caleb ran from the room as Ambrose's laughter followed him. Easy for him Caleb thought since Tayla wasn't due for another couple of weeks. He threw some clothes on and raced down the stairs where Ambrose and Tayla were waiting for him.

Upon arriving at the hospital Caleb was shown into the room where Drew was. "This is it," she panted upon seeing him. He nodded squeezing her hand.

"I thought they were doing a C-Section," Caleb said looking around as worry furrowed his brow.


"They're prepping the room right now," she told him "soon we'll be parents. I'm so happy."

The doctor came into the room "we're ready for you Mrs Gray. Will you be joining us?" he asked Caleb.

"Of course he is," Drew answered for him "he's going to hold my hand through this whole thing." Drew looked up at him "isn't that right?"

Licking his lips Caleb nodded "that's right sweetheart. I'm going to be right here by your side." He leaned down and kissed her forehead.

"If that's the case Mr Gray we'll have to get you kitted up. If you would follow this nurse she'll help you."

***

An hour later the doctor uttered a wordless cry of shock sending fear shooting through Caleb's body. Was something wrong the baby? With Drew? Please don't let there be anything wrong with either one Caleb pleaded. He looked down into Drew's dark brown eyes and knew her fear was a mirror of his own. He squeezed her hand hoping to give her some reassurance.

The doctor looked up holding a small squirming baby up for them to see "it's a girl," he announced. The shrill cry the baby made was music to Caleb's ears.


"Look honey it's our daughter," his voice was hushed as he watched the nurses take her away to clean her. His attention went back to the doctor as he worked at a feverish pace. What was he doing?

Laughing the doctor held up another baby "we seem to have a stow away hiding behind his big sister." He held the baby up for them to see. "Congratulations mama and papa you have twins."

"Did you hear that Caleb?" Drew asked "twins. A boy and a girl."

Stunned Caleb couldn't believe what had just happened....twins. He was a father not of one but of two....twins a boy and a girl. His ears began to buzz as his vision dimmed. Vaguely he heard someone tell him to sit down before he....

He woke up sometime later with a throbbing headache and Ambrose smiling down at him. "What happened?" he asked his voice hoarse.

"You fainted," Ambrose told him "I did much better. Didn't faint at all."

"What are you...."

"Tayla went into labor while we were waiting for word about you and Drew." Ambrose smiled proudly "a beautiful baby girl...."

Baby Album







Indira Grace Bennett/Gray


Andrew Levi Bennett/Gray


Megan Darlene Gray


Indira, Andrew and Megan

4 comments:

  1. OMG they are all so adorable!!! Looks like all the trouble paid off for Caleb and Drew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So much adorableness in one chapter LOL I can't wait to see how they all grow up. Drew was determined to see it through to the end and it paid off with twins. I'm little disappointed that the pink haired baby was Ambrose's but we can't have everything. Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  2. Ahhhh, I LOVE Gray children. Every child Tay and Ambrose had in my game were gorgeous so I'm sure this little girl will be as well. Jeez poor Caleb going through that (the thought of him losing even more hurts me) :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to see what they look like all grown up. I'm going to wait...well try to wait until they age up in game without going into CAS. I'm disappointed that the pink haired baby wasn't Caleb's though :( That dark hair keeps showing up so it must be a dominate Gray gene. Although I knew what the outcome would be it was difficult delving into Caleb's thoughts because I really could see him being torn between wanting to keep Drew safe and wanting the baby. The next chapter we'll start to see the kids personalities emerge. Thank you for reading and commenting!

      Delete