Saturday, March 14, 2015

Generation 2, Chapter 33 Part 2


A week later Robert was released from the hospital.  He was looking forward to seeing his kids.  He glanced towards his brother as he drove.  Gene kept his eyes on the road.  Robert hoped he would stick around for a few days so they would have the opportunity to talk without all the interruptions of hospital staff coming and going.


Getting out of the car he heard the joyful cries of the his daughters as they ran out of the house. "Daddy, daddy you're home."  They threw themselves into Robert's outstretched arms.

"We missed you daddy," Diana told him as she took possession of his hand.

"I missed you too pumpkin," Robert said kissing the top of her head.

"I did exactly what you told me," Jennifer told him with worried blue eyes "Uncle Gene came just like you said he would."


Hugging her tight "you did exactly right.  I'm so proud of you."

"Is mama coming home?" Diana asked 

"I don't think so pumpkin." Robert told her.

"Who cares?" Jennifer retorted. "She left us.  She let those bad men hurt daddy.  I don't care if she never comes back."  Jennifer turned and ran into the house.

Robert sighed knowing he would have to deal with that outburst later.  His mind preoccupied he didn't notice Diana tugging on his hand.  "Daddy, daddy," she whined "is it true mama let bad people hurt you?"


Kneeling in front of her Robert nodded "mama made a bad choice and sometimes when you make a bad choice others get hurt.  I don't think she meant for me to get hurt."

"But you were just the same," he nodded in response.  "I don't think I like her very much anymore."


Robert picked her up  and carried her into the house.  "It's ok pumpkin.  You still have me."

She kissed him on the cheek "I love you daddy."

Robert put her down and she ran off to find her sister.  Robert sighed turning to Gene who had been silent the entire time.  "God help me I still love her but I could kill her for what she did to our kids."


Gene looked at him for a moment before asking "would you take her back if she walked through the door right this second?"

Shaking his head Robert sighed "no I wouldn't.  She's done too much damage to forgive her just like that.  What the kids experienced will effect them all their lives.  I have to think of them.  Their welfare comes first."

Gene nodded he had been thinking about Aimee when he asked Robert that.  He found himself wondering what kind of mother Aimee would have made when she couldn't even break free from her parents control.  He couldn't afford to let someone into his daughters lives if they would run away at the first hint of trouble.  Right now Aimee wouldn't be what he wanted for a mother for his girls. "Gene?"  Robert's voice intruded upon his thoughts "are you thinking about that girl?"


"What girl?" he asked evasively.

"I may have been gone but I still had TV.  I watched every episode of Sim Star Idol.  I could tell you liked Aimee.  What happened?" After a moments hesitation Gene poured his heart out to his brother. All the hurt, the blame, the fears and his hopes she would eventually come back.


"Why don't you go to her?" Robert asked.

"I've tried," Gene got up and prowled around the room.  "I don't know where she even lives anymore."

"Then go to her parents ...."

Laughing harshly "that's not going to get me anywhere.  They hate me." Gene told him running his fingers through his hair "they never wanted Aimee to come with me in the first place. Why would they tell me where she is?"


Shrugging Robert sat on the couch "you won't know until you try.  Is she worth it?" 

"I thought she was," Gene sat down heavily beside his brother "but I don't know anymore.  There always seemed to be an invisible barrier between us that I couldn't break through."


"We all have things about ourselves that we want to keep hidden and sometimes our past experiences prevent us from moving on.  From what you've told me Aimee was raised by overbearing parents that pretty much ignored her."  Gene nodded "then her lack or seeming lack of commitment to you may have been a result of her upbringing.  Maybe she felt she would gain her parents approval somehow by keeping you at a distance."

"Maybe..." Gene conceded the possibility "but I'll never know now."


"You won't if you keep wallowing in self-pity," Robert told him "you need to talk to her."

"How am I supposed to do that?" Gene retorted "she won't return my calls and I haven't seen her at the hospital since that day ..." His eyes teared up and his voice choked up "she was with another guy." Gene finished in anguish.


Listening from the doorway of one of the kids bedroom, Michael interrupted with "come off it Gene. Aimee moved on.  That wasn't just some guy that was  her fiance."

"What?" Gene looked up and turned towards Michael "how?"

"She told me," Michael told him "I saw the ring.  Quit crying over her.  She's not worth it."

"You knew she was there and didn't tell me," Gene asked staring at Michael in disbelief.


"I saw her that same day you saw her," Michael lifted his chin up in defiance.  "I told her to leave you alone.  That you didn't need her..."

Jumping to his feet Gene approached Michael "how could you?  You knew I wanted to see her ... talk to her ...."

"I've watched you pine away for her.  Pretending you're fine only to cry yourself to sleep."  Michael looked him in the eye "I was protecting you. You didn't need her coming back into your life, turning it upside down again.  I'll do whatever it takes to keep you from falling apart again.  You have people who need you Gene."  Michael glared at him refusing to back down.  Willing to do what was necessary to protect his brother even from himself.

"Michael you're not responsible for taking care of me," Gene spit out "I'm sorry for making you feel like it was.  I appreciate what you were trying to do. But you can't protect someone from a broken heart.  I need closure.  I need to know why she left.  I need to know why she moved on so quickly."


"I'm sorry Gene," Michael looked away "I thought I was helping.  I didn't want you hurt anymore than you already were.  I thought I was doing the right thing."

Going to his brother Gene hugged him "It's alright.  I probably would have done the same thing if I were in your shoes.  Amend that I will do that if Patricia ever shows up around here again.  Sorry Rob."

"Don't be," Robert said getting up "we all want to protect the people we love."  

Turning to Robert Gene said "we sure know how pick the ladies don't we."

"Don't give up hope," Robert squeezed his shoulder.  "I have a feeling that all is not lost with Aimee."

"I hope you're right," Gene told him.

***


Gene and Michael stayed another week to help Robert adjust to having the kids all on his own.  He didn't have the heart to tell them the only difference now was the babysitter he had to hire to watch the kids while he was at work.  Otherwise he was do everything already.  Patricia had cut herself off from the kids as she had him.  In a strange sort of way he felt less lonely now then he had before.  He no longer had to wonder why Patricia was isolating herself from him.  Not that it made his trust issues go away.

Robert called and made an appointment with a lawyer to start proceedings against Patricia for abandonment.  He wanted sole custody of the kids just in case Patricia showed up sometime in the future.  He didn't believe that would happen but he wanted to be safe than sorry.  He was proud of Gene for being the person he knew he could be.  He still had a few rough edges but he was everything Robert knew he could be. Robert wished he could convince others of that.  If others could see beyond his troubled past he wouldn't be in the situation he was in.

Robert had read the articles in all the gossip columns that had been written about Gene.  Mostly is was a way to keep in touch with his family, to see them.  Not that he believed everything that was written about them.  It still amazed him that Gene took the comments so well without retaliating in anyway.  That in itself proved that what was written about him was mere fabrication.  Robert gathered the magazines together and tossed them.  He no longer needed that tenuous tie to his family.


He shook his head at the article about his parents.  It saddened him to know that his mother had gone so mental and tried to kill everyone.  He wished he had been able to be there to help them. Above all else he wished he had been there to prevent the alien from transfusing his blood into his father.  He would have sided with Adam on this.  His father would not have wanted to be bonded to the alien that had caused him so much misery.  No one who hadn't experienced the nightmare of being abducted onto the alien ship could understand the sheer terror of it all.  He didn't blame his siblings for the decision they made.  He wouldn't have wanted to come out of hiding to find out his dad was dead but was his dad any better off bonded to someone he hates?  He knew his dad was a strong person but even the strong had their breaking point.  As soon as he had his life back on track he was going to visit his dad.

Looking around the house Robert wondered if he should move.  He liked Hidden Springs and the house he had built.  The memories he had here were, while not the best they weren't the worst either. He smiled when he realized he had no feelings one way or another. He would hold off deciding until he knew how the kids were reacting to all the changes.

The phone vibrating broke into his thoughts "hello."


"Mr. Bennett?" A voice asked.

"Speaking,"

"This is Hidden Springs Elementary School," the voice continued "I'm Mrs Vega, Jennifer's first grade teacher."

Immediately Robert felt a surge of adrenaline pump through his system "is she ok?"

"That is what I'm calling about Mr. Bennett.  Jennifer is ..."

"Jennifer is what?" Robert asked after the teacher broke off and left him hanging.


"I'm sorry I was trying to find the correct word but the best I can come up with is she is a distraction to the rest of the class.  She refuses to listen, to follow instructions and she's constantly interrupting me while I'm trying to teach the rest of the class.  She never turns in her assignments.  She's a bright child but her behavior is preventing her from getting the most out of her class work.  I understand there has been a tragedy in the family that could be affecting her behavior."  Robert smiled thinking that was a nice way of saying you've been in the news and we know your life sucks. He turned his thoughts back to what the teacher was saying.  "I would like to meet with you to discuss what we can do to help your daughter meet her full potential."

Glancing at his schedule for the restaurant Robert suggested "how about tomorrow?"
 
"That would be good.  I'll see you tomorrow at 4:00." Mrs Vega confirmed.


Sighing Robert watched for the girls to come home.  Jennifer came in threw her backpack in a corner and raced to the TV to play the new video game she talked Gene into buying for her.  "Jennifer we need to talk," Robert said standing in front of the TV to get her attention.

"Dad your in the way," she protested ignoring what he said.

"You can play this later," Robert told her, his voice firm.


"But dad I really ...." she looked up at him and silently put the controller down.

"I got a call from your teacher today," Jennifer rolled her eyes.  "She tells me you've been disrupting the class ...."

"School is so boring," Jennifer protested "I'm only spicing things up."

"She also tells me you're not doing your homework."


"It's so stupid," Jennifer sighed "I want to stay here with you."

"I thought you wanted to go to school," Robert said confused.  She had begged and pleaded with him to be allowed to go to school.  Now she didn't want to go.

"That was before mama went away," Jennifer turned her large blue eyes towards her dad.  "What if something terrible happens while I'm gone?  What if you need me?"




9 comments:

  1. Hmm... I think Gene needs to get over Aimee... I agree that he needs closure, however, I'm not sure if he'll be strong enough to meet with her and walk away again! Also it sounds like Jennifer isn't coping to well at the moment, and hope she can figure things out before she becomes to troubled. If this is how she is behaving as a child, I'll bet she'll be an interesting teenager! Great chapter and I'm looking forward to more :)

    ~Kipper123

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aimee isn't at the same level as Gene is emotionally. It took Gene a long time to get to this point. He needs closure and but you're right Gene won't be able to let her go. They both do really love each other. Aimee just needs to learn to stand up for herself and not let her parents and Wallace control her. For more information on their relationship check out Gene's side story.

      Jennifer isn't coping with what she witnessed and she's too young to understand. Thankfully she has a very patient and loving dad. She's going to be an interesting teenager. She was always going to be a handful but now she just might be a little more rebellious then she might have been. I'll be concentrating more on the kids as they get older so that we can get to know them before we have the heir vote.
      Thank you for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  2. I missed Robert, he's such a level headed person. He knows just what to say to Gene. He reminds me of his father so much. Michael...what can I say? If I was in his shoes and didn't know Aimee's story, I'd probably do the same thing. She is engaged to another man, so wouldn't that mean to give up altogether? Though I guess Gene is much more headstrong than that, he'll probably try twice as hard now. Meeting up with Aimee's parents is a bad idea, but there's no chance of him bumping into her again, is there? I have so many questions that will probably be answered in the next chapter of Gene's story lol. Jennifer is quite the rebel with a cause. She acts up but it's because of her love for her dad and her fear. I think she'd make a really interesting heir.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I missed Robert too and was excited to start writing for him again. He is so much like his dad, always thinking of others. Gene will benefit having him back in his life. Michael's only a kid but he meant well. Gene is headstrong and he's not going to give up hope but he's not going to let it consume him either. I do have Gene's next chapter written and I'm warning you now that it ends in a cliff hangar that you probably won't like. :(
      Jennifer loves her daddy and her fears of losing him is causing her to act out. We'll see what the heir vote is eventually but I have admit I'm a little partial to her. It would be interesting to have a girl as heir.

      Delete
  3. The end of this post was so wrenching! Jennifer has really been scarred by seeing her father beat up and hospitalized.

    There's obviously a lot of backstory here I haven't been able to read. Discovering intricate stories in the middle is always difficult. I've just read this post and its first half. I'm trying to pick up on the rest of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That event will effect her all her life unfortunately. She loves her dad immensely and doesn't want to lose him.
      I know what you mean, I always wind up having to start from the beginning because if the story is intriguing I have to know everything.
      Thank you for checking out my story and commenting!

      Delete
    2. Sure! I'm always looking for good narrative Sims challenges. BTW: I'm "Susan's Sims 3 Legacies" from G+. I believe I found you because you found me first :).

      I try not to compel myself to read all the backstory before participating in the new posts. It makes it legacies really intimidating after they've been through a few generations. I do try to read older storylines over time.

      Delete
  4. OMG. Jennifer's reason for acting out is completely adorable. She wants Robert to be safe and she wants to be there if something were to happen to him. I hope Robert can convince her to live her life while she's at school without worrying about him. I think she has a very good heart.
    Wow... yeah that would have sucked for Robert if he had come back to find William had died. I'm thankful that didn't happen, because I feel like that would be the last thing Robert would need after all the bullshit Patricia put him through. I am really curious though, what is going on where Patricia is. LOL.
    Eee Gene! LOL. He just makes me happy when I see him. XD I did side with Michael over the whole Aimee situation since I feel like Gene is such a good guy he deserves to have someone who will stick by him and not be a coward and run away when things get hard. He needs someone who will run to him when things get hard. I'll do it, I'll stay by Gene's side. LOL. Since I do love Gene so much, though, I feel like he does need an explanation from Aimee directly of why she did that to him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IKR She has a lot of worries for someone so young. Poor thing! :( We'll see how Robert handles it. She's very protective of her family and will do just about anything for them. She's a sweetheart.
      It would have been difficult for him after what Patricia put him through to finally be able to be part of his family again to find out William wasn't there. Patricia will make a reappearance in Robert's life and well it won't be what she expects. ;)
      Gene appreciates all the love. He really is a good guy and deserves the best. Aimee is a bit messed up from being raised by parents who never showed loved for each other or her. So she's a bit stunted emotionally and needs to mature before she's ready or even capable of knowing what love is. She's in over her head with Wallace. She needs to learn to stand up for herself. We'll see what happens.

      Delete