Thursday, February 5, 2015

Generation 2, Chapter 32


It had been months since they went on their family outing.  Robert had hoped it would help Patricia reconnect with the kids and him, if anything it had gotten worse.  At first he hoped he was wrong but he feared he wasn't.  Patricia was starting to show signs she was being affected by the pheromones he had started producing since Diana's birth four years ago.  Always in the back of his mind he wondered when the aliens would be back to harvest the pheromones.  At least he hoped that was the reason behind Patricia's odd behavior.

"Dad ... Dad ... Daddy?" Jennifer whined.

"Yes sweetheart?" Robert replied bringing his mind back to the present.


"You were doing it again," Jennifer complained.

Smiling Robert wished it had been a simple case of daydreaming instead of the nightmare he was gnawing on.  "Sorry sweetie did you need something?"

Rolling her eyes "when do I get to go to school?"

"When you start first grade and Diana starts kindergarten."

"But when will that be?" she insisted.

"Next fall."

"That long," she whined.  Robert smiled at his daughter remembering days when he thought the world revolved around him and everything took forever.  "Daddy is something wrong with mommy?"  Jennifer asked intruding into his thoughts again.


"What do you mean?"

Shrugging "she just seems sad." 

"I've noticed that too.  What do you think we can do about it?" Robert asked saddened that the kids were starting to notice the change in their mother.  At times like this he wished he could call his dad and ask for advise.  Someone who'd been there and would understand when he told them he thought his wife was beginning to lose her mind. Casting his mind back to his childhood he hadn't thought his mother changed all that much until he was a teenager.  So why would Patricia be showing signs now?  Was something else going on he should be aware of?  If only she would talk to him.

***


Upstairs Patricia concentrated on her newest sculpture.  Her studio was set up on the balcony, the closest she had come to going outside since their excursion with the kids three months ago.  She hated that any moment someone might recognize them, report them back to the man.  The man who wanted her to be the wife of his son.  Every time Robert left she feared he wouldn't return or when he took the kids to the library or the park she wouldn't see them again.  She was so tired of living in fear.  It had to stop or she'd go crazy, if she wasn't already. 

She knew what she needed to do to gain control of her life back.  She had to go to the man, give herself up, that was the only way she would free herself of these fears.  If only Robert had let her go two years ago.  She would  have figured out a way to break free.  It was all his fault she was a prisoner in her own house, a stranger to her own kids.  It would be better if she went now.  If she went of her own free will the man wouldn't hurt her family, would he?  What would be the point?  Yes she nodded this was the only way to go.  Robert was wrong we can't live in hiding forever.

She would call tonight once Robert was at work.  He couldn't stop her once the call was made.  The man would come and their hiding place would no longer be a secret.  It was better this way she told herself. She tried Roberts way, now it was time to try hers.  


"Patricia?" she looked up from her sculpture at the sound of his voice.  

"What?" she asked irritable from the intrusion.

"Can we talk?" he asked quietly unsettled by the hostile response he received.  

"I'm busy," she said turning her back clearly dismissing him.

"Patricia please don't shut me out," he pleaded "talk to me.  Tell me what's on your mind."

She smiled sweetly at him before mumbling "nothings on my mind.  I do nothing around here to warrant it weighing on my mind."  She turned back to her sculpture intent on finishing it.  Ignoring the hurt pleading expression on Roberts face.  She couldn't do this anymore.  she was going to give her husband and children the freedom to live their lives without the burden of someone searching for them.  In the process she hoped to do the same for herself.

Robert stood there silently watching her.  Knowing she had closed herself off from him.  Their last family outing was her goodbye and she had slowly pushed everyone away from her ever since.  It was like having a door slammed in his face, final.  "I'll be going to work soon."

"Alright.  Have you fed the kids?"


"Yes all you have to do is put them to bed."  He clenched his fists tight reigning in his anger. Couldn't she at least pretend to care? Pretend to be the person he had married?  "I'll see you 
later?"

"If I'm not in bed when you get home," she replied without looking up from her work.

Sighing Robert turned to leave, stopping at the door "I love you."

"Hmm that's nice," she mumbled looking out into space.  When the door clicked shut she dropped to her knees crying.  "I can't do this anymore.  I love him so much and all I do is hurt him.  But I can't show him how much I love him without worrying he'll come looking for me when I leave.  He deserves so much more than I can give him."  Wiping the tears from her eyes she walked into the house and into her bedroom.  Closing the door she dialed the number she had.


The woman's voice saying 'hello' sent shivers down Patricia's spine.  "Hello mother," she said explosively.

"It's about time you came to your senses.  He doesn't like to be kept waiting."

"Well that's just too bad now isn't?" Patricia shouted at the phone. A muffled response followed by a man's voice had her gripping the phone.

"Is this Patricia?" his voice as thick as honey and as menacing as a swarm of killer bees. 

"Yes," she replied heart sinking as she wondered if this was a good idea. Maybe she should have tried harder and given Robert's plan another shot.  Shaking her head to clear her doubts.  This was the way it had to be.

"Good," was the terse reply "listen carefully. This is your last and only chance to save your families life.  I will send my driver tonight be ready when he arrives or tomorrow they will be dead."

"But .... but .... you." Patricia stammered.

"Don't kid yourself into believing I don't know where you are, Mrs Bennett."  His laughter sent chills through her.  "Hidden Springs is a lovely place this time of year.  Be ready when my driver arrives.  Tell no one.  Obey me and your loved ones might just live to see tomorrow."



"I can't just leave my children alone without someone looking after them," she protested.

"If you prefer they can come with you," he responded harshly "you decide.  Just know this you are mine and through me my son's.  He will not be raising another man's brats so you will be condemning them to a life without both parents."

Heart racing she shouted "no, no leave my babies alone.  I'll come but leave my babies alone."  

"Good decision," he chuckled "but you must be punished for not coming the first time."

"What?  That wasn't my fault.  I wanted to come .... but ... I was pregnant ... I ...."

"Yes I know and that was the only reason why I let you go. I did not want the hassle of presenting my son with a tainted gift."  He spoke dispassionately "but there are consequences to your actions.  Now you must pay."


The phone clicked in her ear.  Shaking uncontrollably she realized this was the worst thing she could have done.  She should have told Robert what she was feeling instead of taking it upon herself to contact the man.  She's ruined everything and all she could do now was follow the events she started.  Dropping to the floor, wrapping her arms around herself, rocking back and forth crying "I ruined everything.  The man is coming and it's my fault.  All my fault." 

***


Several hours later Patricia had a bag packed and a few photos stashed away.  Jumping up she raced to the window hearing a car drive up  In disbelief she watched Robert get out of the car.  Was it that late already?  She had hoped to be gone before he got home.  Heart pounding she waited for Robert to come through the door.

After several minutes and Robert hadn't come in she peaked outside.  Gasping she nearly cried out in fear and shock.  Forgetting everything, she ran outside towards the men holding Robert.  "Please stop.  I said I'd come with you.  No more running," she pleaded to the men.


The men stopped as another man stepped out of the car.  "Hello my dear.  I told you there were consequences to your behavior." He callously motioned for the men to continue.  Forcing Patricia to watch "please stop I won't run I won't just...."  

Grabbing her by the hair he yanked her head back "see that you remember this lesson.  Don't let me catch you running again.  Next time I'll finish the job."  With a flick of his wrist he motioned for the men to finish the demonstration.


Patricia cringed as Robert screamed in agony as they twisted his shoulder until there was a loud horrifying crack of bone splintering.  Releasing him, Robert fell to the ground.  The man pulled Patricia to the car despite her efforts to run to her husband.  Crying hysterically as the car drove away.  The last image she carried away with her was the look of disbelief and betrayal that Robert had given her despite the pain he must have been in.  How could she have done this to him?

***



Robert laid motionless on the cold hard ground, battered, bruised and bleeding.  Hurting more from the betrayal then the beating he had received.  How could she turn herself in?  Moaning from the pain, he recalled how the car pulled up to the curb and several men got out and forced him into the car when he stepped out of the restaurant.  The man he met in Aurora Skies was sitting calmly in the backseat while he struggled to get out but hampered by the men holding him down.  The memory of the man's laughter still sent chills through him.  He refused to believe the man when he said Patricia had called him and told him where she was and to come get her.  He still wouldn't have believed it if she hadn't come running from the house screaming that she had agreed to come with him.  How could she?  After all they did to be together and she does this?

A light feathery hand on his face brought him back to consciousness. He heard the worried scared voice of his little girl "daddy, daddy wake up," Jennifer pleaded.

Moaning he lifted his head an inch from the ground letting it drop heavily back to the ground "Jen honey daddy's ok."


Crying softly "you're hurt.  There's blood everywhere."  Gulping in air "daddy don't close your eyes.  Please daddy tell me what to do."

"Baby daddy needs you to be brave right now, ok?"  She nodded.  "Take daddy's phone from his pocket and dial 911," he panted as pain radiated from his shoulder.  

With shaky hands Jennifer managed to get Robert's phone out.  Knocking into his shoulder causing him to cry out in pain. "Daddy I'm sorry."  

Biting his lip to stifle the scream that was building inside him.  He grunted "it's alright baby girl.  I know it's scary but your doing a great job."


She nodded hiccuping as tears flowed down her face.  "My daddy's hurt," she told the woman who answered the call.  "Daddy ... daddy?"  dropping the phone she shook Robert's shoulder in concern. He mumbled something she couldn't hear.  Picking up the phone crying "daddy won't talk to me and there's blood everywhere."  Crying she listened to the woman's voice "I don't know where mommy is. She went with the men who hurt my daddy."



4 comments:

  1. ........ ughhhhh too much pain. I actually forgot about the pheromones, but I guess that won't be a problem for Patricia right now. I seriously thought that they were going to shoot Robert! I'm so glad that they didn't, I just hope that he doesn't die, the kids need a parent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pheromones might have played a small part in her decision. But really has it been long enough for the pheromones to have built up in her system? I'm with Robert it's very doubtful. Jessica hadn't really shown signs of being affected until after he was teenager. So this just might be another case of Patricia being stupid. She has shown in the past that she's capable of making these kinds of decisions (almost leaving before Robert was returned by the aliens, freaking out about raising an alien child, etc). So she had the potential of convincing herself that her course was better than Robert's without the pheromones being at fault. We may never know. But there's no going back now. The poor kids - obviously Patricia forgot to put them to bed :( Regardless of whether Patricia escapes, they may never be able to forgive their mother for what she did. We'll have to see how bad Robert is hurt. :( But he did make arrangements for his kids to be taken care of in case he couldn't do it himself.

      Delete
  2. OMG Patricia... you're such an idiot. LOL. I can't believe she actually went through with calling the man. I knew she wasn't thinking straight for a long time, and pushing Robert and the kids away because she thought it was better for them, but I guess I didn't think she would really do it. *sigh* I find it funny that she keeps saying "I'll escape" like it'll be so easy, I doubt that someone as mean and powerful as the man would be that dumb to let her escape. I just keep picturing this situation where she's constantly being watched or followed because the man knows she didn't want to be there in the first place. Also with Patricia's track record I didn't think she could come up with an escape that would actually work. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IKR she just threw away the best thing she had. Her thinking is all kinds of messed up. She really didn't think it through. She just kept dwelling on how it wasn't her idea to run and that it would have been better if she went with him in the first place then they wouldn't have to live in exile. What I wonder did she think she would do once she escaped? She couldn't very well go back to her old life without him finding her. She would still have to hide out. Now if by some miracle she is smart enough to escape she can't go back to Robert and the kids. There will be a chapter towards the end of the gen that will explain why the man wanted her for his son and we'll see if she manages to escape or not.

      Delete