Monday, March 3, 2014

Chapter Nineteen



One evening William was enjoying a snack before bed, when Sydney joined him at the table.

"Dad can you help me with my homework?"

"Sure butwhy didn't you ask for help earlier?"

"I dunno" Sydney responded shrugging.

"Could it be you forgot about it because you were too busy painting?"

"I guess" Sydney agreed.

"Sydney I know you enjoy painting but there are other things in life."

"I know but homework is so boring. Why do I need to know this stuff? It's not like I'm gonna ever use it."

William sighed quietly remembering when he had felt the same way.



The following morning before going to school, Sydney had to ask her Dad something important. "Dad, when am I going to get my own room?"

"Syd I told you before, when Beverly is older."

"But Dad, I'm almost a teenager. I don't want to be sharing a room with my little sister forever."

"Sydney you keep pestering me about this and you'll never get it. I'm tired of repeating myself. You'll get your own room when Beverly is big enough to sleep in a real bed instead of a crib. That's all I'm saying on the subject."

"But Dad" Sydney began to whine

"No buts. End of discussion." William said sternly. He glanced out the window and said "The bus is here, Syd have a good day at school."

Seeing that she had no choice but to go, Sydney stomped out of the door and to the bus. Her dad just didn't understand how much she hated sharing a room with Evelyn. None of her classmates had to share a room but then none of their parents were freaks and had six kids either.

William watched Sydney stomp off and hid an exasperated smile. As much as he could say he sympathized with her, he couldn't. He had never had to share a room or anything else when he was growing up. So he had to admit he couldn't relate; although as an adult he was finding it difficult to set the example. He sometimes wished he didn't have share either.



After the kids were all on the bus and headed off to school, William decided to lay down for a while. He was still tired as he hadn't slept well the night before. He had a growing apprehension that something was wrong. He couldn't pin point exactly what but he felt that something terrible was going to happen. He wasn't sure if the apprehension was being caused by the nightmares he was having again or if the nightmares was a result of the apprehension he was feeling.

"William is something wrong?" Jessica asked.

"What makes you think something's wrong?"

"William, I know you haven't been sleeping well. Are you having nightmares again?" Jessica asked in concern.

"Some. Not bad. There's nothing to worry about Jess."

"Your sure? Maybe you should go in and talk to the doctor."

"Jess, I told you I'm ok. If the nightmares get worse, I'll consider it. The last time I saw him, he did say that the nightmares could recur but should diminish after starting. So we just need to give it some time."

"Ok if your sure." Jessica agreed. She silently wished she would some day have an opportunity to give those aliens a piece of her mind for putting her husband through all this pain.



The next morning Evelyn and Gene were eating breakfast together.

"Wouldn't it be fun to skip school?" Evelyn wondered aloud.

"Naw, you've got to have a reason to skip school; otherwise it wouldn't be worth it if you got caught."

"Like you'd know" Sydney retorted "You haven't skipped a day of school either."

"I'm waiting for a really good reason. I want to be sure I'm gonna get something for all my effort."

"Your weird. You do it because it's fun."

"Then why haven't you done it?" Gene challenged.

"Because all my friends are at school and it wouldn't be any fun by myself."

"What if we did it together?" Gene suggested, brightening at the thought.

"No way! Your my brother, where's the fun in that?"

"Chicken! You won't do it because your chicken!" Gene taunted.

"Am not!"

"Are too!"

"Am not!"

"Enough!" William said as he entered the kitchen "Whatever it is your arguing about give it a rest."

"Ok Dad" Evelyn agreed wondering how much her Dad had heard.

"The bus is here, gotta go" Gene said as he rushed to get his books together.

"Bye Dad" Evelyn shouted as she ran out the door.

William couldn't help but laugh once the kids had gotten on the bus. He had heard them discussing skipping school. Every kid thought about it but few actually went through with it. Although he was certain Gene would be the one to try it when he found a good enough reason to risk getting caught. Evelyn he was confident wouldn't unless everyone else did. She was the one most likely to follow the crowd. He often worried about that need she had to accepted and liked by everyone.



William heard Beverly starting to cry and went to check on her.

"Hey little lady, are you ready for your birthday this afternoon?" William had planned a party for her once the kids were all home from school. He was a little sad that his littlest girl was no longer a baby but he was looking forward to teaching her to walk and talk and so much more.






That afternoon everyone gathered to celebrate Beverly's birthday. She grew up into a beautiful little girl with her dad's eyes; although she was a little on the clumsy side.

6 comments:

  1. Ooh I like William's eyes, hahaha. XD Beverly's hair is gorgeous, that hairstyle, wow. LOL. I enjoyed William's thoughts about not wanting to share, sometimes I feel like that too. Haha. :)
    Hmm... needing to be liked by everyone could become a problem for Evelyn someday. o.O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was hoping that one of the kids would have Williams eyes; otherwise they all look Jessica. Sharing isn't easy and William tries to see things from his kids POV. Evelyn might get into some trouble but her need to be liked by everyone is her insecurity about being different. She wishes that she was normal and it drives her need for approval from everyone.

      Delete
  2. The conversation about skipping school was so cute and funny. Gene is going to be a little trouble maker. I don't have a favoeite child yet, but I have a lot to choose from lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted to show case the kids differing personalities. Gene is well on his way to being the rebel of the family. The family is huge and its difficult to choose from so many. I'm thinking the next gen is going to be smaller.

      Delete
  3. I have to admit, I never skipped school but I thought about it. That was a cute conversation they had about it. I'm still rooting for you Sydney! I have faith that you're going to get your own room. :)

    I hope nothing happens to William. I don't like the sound of him not sleeping well and worrying. . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neither have I but I thought about it though. Nothing ever came up I thought was worth the risk. Gene would be the one to skip school accept for the fact he like to work hard in school thanks to his workaholic trait he acquired to go along with his other stellar traits. LOL
      Sydney is already begging for that room and it will come up again. Poor girl.
      He has anxiety issues from having been abducted by aliens and well when his anxiety goes up something bad is about to happen ....
      Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete